mtDNA DNA Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mtDNA DNA Test

I just had my 'mtDNA Plus' result back & am not impressed.

All I seem to have is the Haplogroup 'U2' & 3 PDF downloads.

I thought I would have also got some matches with the 'mtDNA Plus' test

I get that for a more detailed result I need to upgrade the test.

Originally posted by Ania View Post

You do get matches - mine came in with all my results but maybe for some it take some time before your matches show up? Give a few days maybe, if there's still nothing then try customer support.

Comment

Originally posted by Germanica View Post
      You do get matches - mine came in with all my results but maybe for some it take some time before your matches show up? Give a few days maybe, if there's still nothing then try customer support.

Ah, ok will just chill for a for a bit longer.

Cheers Germanica

Comment

Two members of my family project only have themselves as matches at HVR1 and HVR1&HVR2 levels. They are known cousins sharing the mtDNA ancestry, so we expected them to match. They also happen to be like you in the haplogroup U, just in another branch.

In the results of the FMS test, they have 2 matches at GD=2 and 4 matches at GD=3.

People who report hundreds, if not thousands, of mtDNA matches are most often from the very popular haplogroup H. Two individuals from my surname project (branches of haplogroup H) have the following numbers of matches:
        • HVR1 700, 11000 (eleven thousands)
        • HVR1&HVR2 300, 6 (six)
        • HVR1&HVR2+CodingRegion 200, 120

And then, one of my cousins, who has haplogroup J, has no matches at HVR1 and HVR1&HVR2 levels...

Have patience and good luck!

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Originally posted by Ania View Post

In order for a match to show up at the level of mtDNA Plus testing, the match must be exact. It's quite possible that you have one or more mutations in the HVR1 or HVR2 regions that are uncommon in the U2 haplogroup. That could be one explanation of why you don't have any matches.

Matching at the full mtDNA sequence level does allow for up to 3 differences in mutations. So, you probably would get some matches if you had the full sequence done.

Here's an example of this. My mtDNA haplogroup is T2e. I have no matches at the HVR1 or HVR2 levels because I have two uncommon mutations in those regions. I have 27 matches at the full sequence level. However, none are closer than differing on 2 mutations with me - not really that close.

One thing to understand is that many genetic genealogists, myself included, don't regard mtDNA testing as generally useful for genealogical research, at least not as useful as yDNA and autosomal testing. There are some specific cases involving a maternal line ancestry where mtDNA matches can provide important information, but in general your matches are going to be fairly distant from you, in many cases not sharing a common maternal line ancestor in over 1,000 years.

Comment

mtDNA Plus - Haplogroup - U3
            HVR1 - 49 Matches
            HVR1, HVR2 - 23 Matches

mtDNA FMS - Haplogroup - U3a1a*
            17 Matches
            4 matches at GD=0
            4 matches at GD=1
            6 matches at GD=2
            3 matches at GD=3

(A group of us share a couple extra mutations and
            then my 4 exact matches also share one additional mutation.)
            --
            Last edited by M E M; 25 July 2015, 08:50 AM. Reason: modified haplogroup with asterisk

Comment

Working...
            X