New (Useless) Y Match Notice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CMMcDonald View Post
    Well, I am still not sure I understand this thread completely with regards to extrapolating level of match when there is an X.

But I just ran the lone Y-67 test I have under management so far (closest "public" match for that kit is GD1 at 25 markers, nothing above 25) through various configurations of advanced matches. Have now discovered just how many more matches there actually are that FTDNA has not been showing and not just because the match did not meet the company standard. There are more private matches than public ones for my Y tester.

What is this, 23andMe??? What is the point of "private" matches with Xs given instead of showing us the GD? Are the privatized kits usually part of surname projects or inquiries into questionable paternity? Why so many private Y tests?

It would be awfully helpful if country of most distant paternal origin were included in the columns, not just names and haplos, btw.

I did recognize quite a few of the "private" Y tests from running my Y tester over at Ysearch, just like so many of my kits' anonymous 23 matches can be found with full name and email at Gedmatch.
    If in Advanced Matching you select only one level of Y DNA, be it in your case 12 or 25 markers (just only one of those two and nothing else), then people you see with x are the ones who most likely have very many matches (thousands of them), and do not want to be bombarded with announcements that somebody is matching them at 12 or 25 markers. They are waiting for the big fish: 37 markers and beyond (or in some cases possibly 67 and beyond).

Why is that happening? Despite many complains from the customers, FTDNA does not make it possible to decouple notifications about new matches from displaying one's profile information to the matches. Granted, some would be afraid that tens or hundreds of their matches at 12 marker level e-mail them, however in my opinion, more than half would allow presentation of their profiles.

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Solution in search of a problem?

Bombard?

I am managing tests representing three separate families at all three big testing companies. All but one kit are also at Gedmatch.

One line (2 kits) has received contacts from three previously unknown (fourth or more) cousin matches, this at 23. Zero for the one kit also at Ancestry.

Second line (1 kit) has received one (fifth cousin) contact, again at 23. Zero at Ancestry and FTDNA.

Third line (5 kits) has received contact from one previously unknown (sixth) cousin family, here at FTDNA. Zero for the 4 kits also at 23 and Ancestry.

And zero contacts about the lone Y-67 test (third line), which represents a brick wall on ethnic origin.

The first line is for a family with only 1.5 generations in the USA, but with half Irish ancestry so actually has the most matches. The second and third lines have a few ancestors who were in the US just before the Civil War, but most ancestors arrived after that war but before 1900. These two lines are both predominantly Germanic with no British Isles ancestry whatsoever.

On behalf of the three family lines I have contacted perhaps 25-30 matches total between the three companies and Gedmatch. I use my primary email address for all. Fewer than half have replied.

Maybe those with substantial colonial American or Ashkenzi ancestry get bombarded, but to me it looks a lot of privacy settings and clumsy email systems designed to solve problems my testers do not have.

Yesterday I spent almost an hour copying and cleaning up the advanced Y matches in a spreadsheet (the automatic download eliminates the private matches) because the Continental European names are of interest for the Y brick wall.

We are all researching DNA puzzles, but their nature is highly varied and the DNA testing companies may have difficulty anticipating what information can be helpful to us researchers without compromising tester privacy.

Comment

Working...
      X