So Disappointed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uncle Lucifer

I started ordering DNA kits Thanksgiving 2014, with Ancestry. Four kits for the immediate family. Bought 1 more for a presumed half sister in an attempt to verify that relationship. She reneged, but kept the kit. Bought brother's Y67 & FF, husband's Y67 (results just in this week). Uploaded rawDNA everywhere. Joined surname projects. Refuse to consider MtDNA test purchase.

Where am I today? As for as genealogy advancement ... still where I was. The two lines I was stuck on for my family, one nothing, the other more confused. My husband's line is where I might actually spend more money on a Y 67 test, IF I could get a presumed half brother to take it, and by that I mean agree to take it AND actually do it. I may have to spend more money traveling to his home and making sure it's him, and he scrapes and mails it back. Awe, just kidding...but that's where my mind goes when I consider buying a kit for someone else.

It has been interesting, yet, disappointing. I say, we start testing babies when they are born. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Renegade6008 View Post
      [----] IF I could get a presumed half brother to take it, and by that I mean agree to take it AND actually do it. I may have to spend more money traveling to his home and making sure it's him, and he scrapes and mails it back. Awe, just kidding...but that's where my mind goes when I consider buying a kit for someone else.

It has been interesting, yet, disappointing. I say, we start testing babies when they are born. lol.
      I had on more than one occasion assistance in taking the samples. I mean people I could trust that the protocol was followed. To some elderly family members either shaky hands or thought of shaky hands or poor eyesight required someone to travel to their home, and then as a bonus go to the post office...

If you make it a friendly visit, it maybe time (and money) well spent.

W. (Mr.)

Comment

No so quick to conclusions...

We haven't tested with 23andMe, but wouldn't expect to get any different results than we received from Ancestry, FTDNA, GEDmatch, or ysearch.
        I've tested at all three, and added to GEDmatch and Ysearch. I have unique matches at all three. In fact, most of my matches are unique to that particular service. There are perhaps four or five matches I have at two vendors. They tend to be more interested and invested in genealogy.

Comment

If you make it a friendly visit, it maybe time (and money) well spent.
          That's exactly what I was thinking, and I'd get a mini vacation out of it, too.

Comment

Originally posted by BBA64 View Post
            I've tested at all three, and added to GEDmatch and Ysearch. I have unique matches at all three. In fact, most of my matches are unique to that particular service. There are perhaps four or five matches I have at two vendors. They tend to be more interested and invested in genealogy.
            We are everywhere except 23andMe. What I meant was he doesn't get any matches closer than 4th cousins, and few of them. I seriously think we need to test the presumed half brother and find out, for sure, if we are looking in the right backyard.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Lucifer View Post
              I've been doing this since April 2013 and have probably $2000 in it. If I could go back and know what I know now (and that 2K does not count what I've done with other sites), I would probably just skip it.

My net results after all the dust has settled are:

1) primary surname: I know which branch of it I come from, but genetic distances indicate I still have 3-5 generations of paper trail to work through and the dead-end of the paper trail was why I started DNA genealogy in the first place. If I had the damned paper trail, I wouldn't have needed ...you get the idea.

2) MTDNA...went full-boat on that. Full sequence, and from what I've read, it is very nearly absolutely useless for the genealogical timeframe.

3) Autosomal: biggest payoff has been one or two validations that some assumptions I had made using circumstantial paper-trail evidence were correct.

4) SNP tests: I guess they're ok if you're looking to up your Pictish descent street cred, but again, nothing earth shattering.

5) y-DNA kits I have bought for others to validate some of my other lines, expensive with thus far, no payoff in sight, even with common surnames. Not going to do that anymore.

To sum up: interesting, but no doves-floating-down-on-shafts-of-sunlight -with-harps-and-horns-blaring revelations, so all things considered, I wish I had just bought a couple of high end pocket watches or an old tractor to restore.
              I think I have had slightly better luck, although I am NOT buying kits for other people outside my immediate family which includes myself (Geno, FF, FullmtDNA), my husband (Geno, FF, and y36), 3 kids (FF), my dad (y36), (my mom paid for hers because I was broke - FF). That said, someone offered to pay for a FF for my dad and my paternal grandfather because they are trying to figure out their one female ancestor with out surname and they match me and my dad and presumable my grandpa but his results aren't back).

yDNA - I got luck. I joined my surname group and someone who descended from my patriarch that I wanted to confirm from the 1700's was a 36/37 match to my dad. My husbands? Nothing, but his father's family is of turn of the century immigrants arriving around the 1890's.

mtDNA - Useless. Especially because those who match me list MALE maternal ancestors. Not worth my time to e-mail to find out their FEMALE maternal ancestor. I finally decided to leave my haplogroup group. Maybe someday it will be more useful.

Geno - Useless other than the very interesting haplogroup report that they give us. Interesting reading and helps explain why I have a few weird ethnicity for my mom and myself. If you look at the more recent haplogroup trail paper results, those ethnicity came from those regions.

Family Finder - the most bang my bucks... on my DAD's lines. Most of his lines came to America in the mid-1700's. Some earlier, some later. I have found matches that do match quite a few of his maternal and paternal ancestors. That said, my maternal line and 3 of my husband's lines arrived in the US around the 1890's (only one branch came sooner for my mom's family). The 4th line, his maternal grandfather was completely unknown because his mom's parents divorced when she was 3 and she didn't know anything but her father's name. To date, I have found ONE match for my mom that I can trace where we match. The rest I have no clue. My husband? My husband matches his mom's newly found half-sister, and with that, and a "cousin" match who's family tree matched a lot of the half-sisters, we DID find the maternal grandfathers extensive family tree. Nothing on his Maternal grandmother's line. Nothing on his paternal line except I can tell who is paternal because they have Polish and Russian and similar regions for their background.

So... luck of the draw and when did your family arrive is my experience on whether or not you will have any luck! I did have one very nice polish gentleman who's cousin matched my husband translate my only written document from my husband's aunt giving names of family members from Poland and a couple names/addresses in Poland (but from the 1970's)

If I had it to do all over again? I would still get my dad's yDNA, and the Family Finders. But the rest, I wouldn't do again! Well, maybe the Geno because it is interesting reading!

Comment

I joined my surname group and someone who descended from my patriarch that I wanted to confirm from the 1700's was a 36/37 match to my dad. My husbands? Nothing, but his father's family is of turn of the century immigrants arriving around the 1890's.
                I have yet to see any benefit to joining a surname project. I have joined three: one for my own surname using my brother's 67 marker test. It is a common surname and we were placed in an unassigned group, alone. The other two for my husband's presumed surname and a second surname because the paper trail suggested the original surname was the mother's. He doesn't match anyone in the original surname project. He is still "ungrouped" on the secondary project as nobody seems to be in charge of it (no activity from administrator in 2 years).

Comment

I have yet to see any benefit to joining a surname project. I have joined three: one for my own surname using my brother's 67 marker test. It is a common surname and we were placed in an unassigned group, alone. The other two for my husband's presumed surname and a second surname because the paper trail suggested the original surname was the mother's. He doesn't match anyone in the original surname project. He is still "ungrouped" on the secondary project as nobody seems to be in charge of it (no activity from administrator in 2 years).
                  Yeah, it is definitely frustrating! Like I said, I feel like I got lucky. That said, hopefully eventually more will pay off as more people get tested. As for administrators, definitely good and bad ones! My dad's surname group doesn't appear active on the surface but there would up being a lot of personal e-mails.

Comment

Have you joined any Haplogroup project?

Comment

Originally posted by jsarnacki View Post
                      As for administrators, definitely good and bad ones! My dad's surname group doesn't appear active on the surface but there would up being a lot of personal e-mails.
                      I called FTDNA and they gave me another email address to contact for the paper trail Surname group. I did, he took one look at my husband's last name and said he didn't know why I would be looking at their project since we didn't match their members then suggested I focus my efforts on my husband's 37/37 marker match.

I wonder what the probability of a 37/37 match falling apart at 67 markers. Doesn't matter as the guy doesn't seem interested in upgrading to 67 markers. He has done the FF test though and isn't a match to my husband there.

I found another descendant through Ancestry and she is awaiting her kit for testing. Maybe that will go somewhere. I'm not giving up.

Comment

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
                        Have you joined any Haplogroup project?
                        Yes. We joined the R1b Haplogroup project as he is predicted R-M269. I was convinced to order a SNP test, so we will see how that goes.

Comment

Yes. We joined the R1b Haplogroup project as he is predicted R-M269. I was convinced to order a SNP test, so we will see how that goes.
                          Thanks. Good luck with it.

Comment

The R _R1b ALL Subclades project is well run. They do a good job of directing folks down to other projects like L21, Z253, L226 (for example). When folks test positive for R-M269, I wish FTDNA did a better job of pointing out the R _R1b ALL Subclades project.

I had joined the Ireland yDNA group and they expertly suggested I test L226 (for which I'm positive). But that was pretty clear having tested to 67 markers and L226 has four distinctive values.

Did you do single SNP, or was it panel you were suggested in taking? Just curious.

Comment

The R _R1b ALL Subclades project is well run. They do a good job of directing folks down to other projects like L21, Z253, L226 (for example). When folks test positive for R-M269, I wish FTDNA did a better job of pointing out the R _R1b ALL Subclades project.
                              Yes, I agree, it is a very well run group and responsive. I noticed that when they direct others to another project they request you to stay in the R1b project to aid new R1b members. I think that's a great idea.

I had joined the Ireland yDNA group and they expertly suggested I test L226 (for which I'm positive). But that was pretty clear having tested to 67 markers and L226 has four distinctive values.
                              How does one find out the distinctive markers to know which SNPs to test? Is that just experience or is it documented somewhere?

Did you do single SNP, or was it panel you were suggested in taking? Just curious.
                              It was suggested we test for P312 and go from there, or upgrade to Big Y. Big Y investment willl have to wait.

Comment

YDna37

Disappointed, YDNA only showed 2 people and only one new one, Not the same surnames either. i'm trying to find out my son's paternal line but only have grandfather's name which I now may believe not the right name....getting frustrated.

Comment

Working...
                                X