Horrible Customer Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrible Customer Experience

I need to rant because I just wasted hundreds of dollars on this half-baked company. I don't even know where to start with how bad it is...

Should I start with how convoluted the web pages are?

Or how it's just a hodgepodge of different programs not working together?

Or the lack of single sign on to access results?

Or the number of "Houston we have a problem" dead-end web pages caused by missing FAQ's, bad links, and web server time-outs?

Or that even after I purchased FF, mtDNA full sequence and Y-67, the menu and pages are cluttered with salesy banners and buttons?

Or that even though there's a known backlog of months, they continue to sell this crappy experience?

Or that it took nearly a week to create a second kit due to an email server snafu.

Or that after that was resolved different agents kept contacting me for days- I kept reminding them the ticket should be closed.

Or that once you FINALLY get your mtDNA full sequence results, there is no apparent explanation or justification for the extra cost and effort of getting the full sequence.

Or that the reports don't even work properly (check boxes on the advanced matching report).

Or that the various results screens do not have all columns and screen elements defined in a key.

Or that the Y-STR matching is so lame they nudge you over to another site, "ySearch", which has a similarly crappy user experience.

Or that their "sister site" ySearch requires you to solve endless asinine Capcha puzzles (which is putting us paying customers to work on their house number indexing project)making it unbearable to explore.

Or that the "interpreting results" are mostly generic wiki articles and generic maps that I could have found anywhere. Not specific to me.

Or that their sales process misleads us to believe that mtDNA and Y-STR analysis will help with genealogical research. It may have some fancy science behind the lab work but without any relevant tools to put it into context, it's worthless crap.

Thank you. Rant over.

Originally posted by annoyeduser View Post
    Or that the "interpreting results" are mostly generic wiki articles and generic maps that I could have found anywhere. Not specific to me.
    The best interpretations of results come from other customers, particularly:
    - The volunteer project administrators
    - The posters on an independent forum, Anthrogenica.

But if you register on that forum, please try to leave your anger behind.

Comment

Other than that, Mrs. Kennedy, how'd you like Dallas?

Comment

Originally posted by lgmayka View Post

I belong to some projects which are totally useless....absent landlords....no responses to emails.....kits in the incorrect places. These project admins need to pass the baton to someone else who either has more expertise and time instead of leaving their members thinking they have joined something worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Lucifer View Post
          Other than that, Mrs. Kennedy, how'd you like Dallas?
          Best response, ever. Thank you. I needed that laugh!

Comment

Originally posted by lgmayka View Post

Thank you for the advice. I just used this board to sound off because that's what it's for. I will remain constructive and optimistic despite my disappointment.

Comment

terrible simply horrible

I ordered the mdtdna and family finder with the expectations that I would find out my ethnicity. Wrong. I now know that I am 100% European. Now that is a surprise. A couple of hundred dollars wasted. I did try to see whether or not I could order FF. Would not let me.

Comment

terrible simply horrible

I ordered the mdtdna and family finder with the expectations that I would find out my ethnicity. Wrong. I now know that I am 100% European. Now that is a surprise. A couple of hundred dollars wasted. I did try to see whether or not I could order FF. Would not let me.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                  Click "expand all" to get a break down of your 100% European. It is in small print in the ethnic make up box.

Family finder test which is a outstanding tool to use your automsomal DNA results to find related individual for your paternal and maternal lines going back 5 to 6 generations at a very cheap price of $99.

You can spend a lot of time learning all the different options provided in the FF Test.

Now, on the other hand, I do not rely to much on the mtDNA for my genealogical research. I did mine, but not for any of the other kits I manage.

For the ladies I would recommend just taking the family finder test and for the guys at least the Y-DNA37 plus Family finder.

Comment

Originally posted by annoyeduser View Post
                    Thank you for the advice. I just used this board to sound off because that's what it's for. I will remain constructive and optimistic despite my disappointment.
                    Good to see! Yep, difficulties have plagued this company lately, but I have ridden them out and am starting to have some great successes myself.

Hmmm.... will have to try the suggested site!

And I am in agreement about the volunteer run projects... some are dead. Some are overwhelming. You have some crappy administrators. And you have some great ones too! I dropped a lot of my projects, but I kept a couple going. I think I still have the Ireland and definitely the Polish ones going (but too much information overload for my present needs, so kind of sitting on those despite the great activity in both... my research on both of those lines is kind of sluggish at best). That said, I am very fortunate to have a great surname group. If you look at the site, it doesn't look like a whole lot is going on, but the administrator is great about e-mails and my yDNA matches are communicating fairly regularly and family finder only matches are being included. So... don't give up!

Also, have you tried Genome Mate for organizing your data? Once I figured out how to install (that part was easy for me) and re-upload data there (FTDNA was easy but it took a while to figure out gedmatch uploads)... it became a great tool to organize data and visualize matches chromosome by chromosome. There might be better databases out there, but this is the one recommended that I tried and like (until something better comes along anyway!).

Comment

Website problems & GoDaddy hosting

Their website is pretty buggy but then even the big media business web sites are atrocious. The bugs are in the framework APIs. It comes down to not having the manpower to create all the specifically custom code they need.

And I have to say it, they use GoDaddy as their web site host and GoDaddy is awful. There is only so far a picture of Danica Patrick the Female Race-car Driver can take you with regards to creditability.

Comment

Working...
                      X