Passwords changed by FTDNA software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passwords changed by FTDNA software

I have multiple kits for multiple relatives. On some kits I am the secondary email. This week, two passwords were changed by FTDNA software and I was locked out of the kits. I confirmed with my cousins that they did not change them, as they are either not tech savvy or are relying on me to manage the kit.

I phoned FTDNA on the first one and was told the password was changed two weeks prior. But it was not done by me or my cousin! The Help Desk gave me a new password in email.

Then Friday night I was locked out of another kit. My cousin is traveling and not tech savvy. She will help change the password when she gets home but not until next week. I tried the p/w reset but it won't recognize my email because it's secondary.

I did hear from the help desk this morning (Saturday) but they did not read my email and just sent me generic info on how to reset the password. I have the secondary, not primary, email and cannot change it! My time is being wasted and .i want to get into this account!

I have thought of setting up an admin account for all kits but dread what will happen if I get locked out of that! FTDNA has changed the password on two of my kits so far!

Question, do you use any third party software in which you have entered kit numbers, match list, chromosome browser files or passwords do automatically update these third party programs?

ie) dnagedcom or genomate
    Last edited by prairielad; 13 June 2015, 12:59 PM.

Comment

No third party software

Nope. None at all.

Comment

This is happening to others too where the passwords just stop working all of a sudden. Then there is also a known glitch where many times the password reset doesn't work even if you are the primary user, the new password never comes. In that case you have to contact customer service.

Comment

Originally posted by travers View Post
          This is happening to others too where the passwords just stop working all of a sudden. Then there is also a known glitch where many times the password reset doesn't work even if you are the primary user, the new password never comes. In that case you have to contact customer service.
          It has happened to me several times. I wasn't sure if it was FTDNA or my computer. Apparently when signing on with the password saved, it pulls up a wrong one. I just put in the correct password and it then signs on OK.

Comment

Mine is not the same issue. I don't log in with a saved password. I type in the password.

Comment

--Last week a customer service rep emailed me a new password for my cousin's kit where I am the secondary email and neither my cousin nor I had changed the password. She said I may want to change the password to a more secure one. She said it would be no problem if I kept the one they sent me, though.
              --Friday night I was locked out of another cousin's kit, again where
              I am the secondary email and neither of us had changed the password.
              --I received an email over the weekend from CS that said they would not send me a new password since, again, ?I am the secondary email.
              --I called CS today and was told the newer passwords are temporary and they expire! Why doesn't FTDNA spell this out please? I did see that the password I was emailed on the first kit, above, said temporary--but the rep told me I didn't need to change it! And nothing says "your password will expire in "x" number of days or hours"!

Comment

Working...
              X