Postal Delay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postal Delay

I know a lot of the gripes on here are due to delays in processing samples, but can anyone tell me why it takes so long for mail to be delivered? I ordered a Ydna37 and it was dispatched on 27th April (to the U.K.). It took over two weeks to arrive. I did the swab and returned the sample same day. It's now over a month since my kit was dispatched and my order status - received by lab - still shows "pending". Any ideas as to when they are likely to receive my sample? I think I'm going to be lucky to get results by Christmas at this rate.

International return shipping can take up to 3+ weeks to get back to the Houston Post Office. Apparently there is an issue with the Post Office where samples can sit until they have a certain quantity before they get delivered to FTDNA. Apparently mail/samples are not delivered to FTDNA on a daily basis (per other posts here on the forums and the Facebook page). Then it could take a couple of days in the office before it is put into their system.

(My Opinion) Just because the samples are batched does not mean the tests are being ran. They have a limited amount of space for samples in their equipment. If the number of samples exceeds the capability of the equipment then samples will have to wait until the next available opening for next set of samples to be ran.

Comment

I am in the UK and my sister's kit took about 3 weeks to arrive here. I posted the kit back to FTDNA on 11th April, they received it on the 30th and it was batched on 6th May with results expected between 27th May/10th June.

In the meantime, I ordered a kit from Ancestry on 27th April, it arrived here 3 days later and was posted back 2nd May. I got my results on Tuesday.

Comment

I can also only imagine that all the flooding Houston has had as well as Texas as a whole (Houston is where FTDNA is based) might also affect processing times for kits; Most of Texas is in a state of emergency from flooding.

Comment

Next time, let's say when you are advising some cousin of yours, I suggest shipping back with tracking (but no signature!). That significantly eases pain of waiting

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Thanks for the replies! Guess I'll just have to wait my turn like everyone else. It's just frustrating waiting to find out where I am on the big map!

Comment

Houston we have a problem!

Originally posted by T0pcat View Post
              Thanks for the replies! Guess I'll just have to wait my turn like everyone else. It's just frustrating waiting to find out where I am on the big map!
              It is well known the issues with the The North Houston USPS facility.

http://abc13.com/shopping/usps-probi...s-rise/434759/

I order one or two kits per month, some go smoothly, some get hung up in that facility. Absolutely no rhyme or reason as to which ones are delayed and which ones or not.

I log onto the USPS site and request email updates for all kits I order and also when I send them back.

If I see the kit sitting for a couple of days, I call the USPS 1-800 number, file a complaint, receive a case number, which always seems to do the trick.

ftDNA and we as customers, just have bad luck with a USPS facility that does not always run on all 8 cylinders.
              Last edited by K. L. Adams; 28 May 2015, 07:17 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I experienced the same several times, package takes 4-6 weeks to arrive. THe funny thing is it takes one day to arrive in the states from Europe (always used tracking).
                The last kits (end of February) I ordered took 4,5 weeks or so, and looks like the FF is delayed now, but hey you can always get more frustrated, patience is the key.

Comment

Originally posted by K. L. Adams View Post
                  It is well known the issues with the The North Houston USPS facility.

http://abc13.com/shopping/usps-probi...s-rise/434759/

I order one or two kits per month, some go smoothly, some get hung up in that facility. Absolutely no rhyme or reason as to which ones are delayed and which ones or not.

I log onto the USPS site and request email updates for all kits I order and also when I send them back.

If I see the kit sitting for a couple of days, I call the USPS 1-800 number, file a complaint, receive a case number, which always seems to do the trick.

ftDNA and we as customers, just have bad luck with a USPS facility that does not always run on all 8 cylinders.
                  Thank you very much for sharing that piece on USPS in Houston!

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
                    Thank you very much for sharing that piece on USPS in Houston!

W. (Mr.)
                    Not bad on this kit of mine being delivered. I asked for email updates. Interesting that it was delivered at 9:09 pm. I am assuming that it is a drop box of some type for ftDNA or the actual time is a hoax.

On Time
                    Expected Delivery Date: May 29, 2015

Service Type: USPS Tracking™
                    Shipment Activity Location Date & Time
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Delivered HOUSTON, TX 77008 May 28, 2015 9:09 pm
                    Arrived at Post Office HOUSTON, TX 77008 May 28, 2015 12:18 pm
                    Departed USPS Origin Facility HOUSTON, TX 77201 May 27, 2015 5:21 pm
                    Arrived at USPS Origin Facility HOUSTON, TX 77201 May 27, 2015 5:18 pm
                    Departed USPS Facility PENSACOLA, FL 32522 May 26, 2015 10:14 pm
                    Arrived at USPS Facility PENSACOLA, FL 32522 May 26, 2015 9:21 pm
                    Departed Post Office MILTON, FL 32570 May 26, 2015 6:34 pm
                    Acceptance MILTON, FL 32570 May 26, 2015 10:56 am

Comment

Originally posted by gerlyons View Post
                      Apparently there is an issue with the Post Office where samples can sit until they have a certain quantity before they get delivered to FTDNA. Apparently mail/samples are not delivered to FTDNA on a daily basis (per other posts here on the forums and the Facebook page). Then it could take a couple of days in the office before it is put into their system.
                      If that's the case, then FTDNA could arrange with USPS its own collection from the mail center each morning.

Comment

Yay! They got it today 😅 How long before I get a date for it to be tested?

Comment

How long before I get a date for it to be tested?
                          FTDNA usually batches orders once a week, usually Wednesday evening.

Once your order is batched you will receive a so-called ETA date. After that you just wait ... because regardless of the ETA published your test will take as long as it does, all factors considered.

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post
                            FTDNA usually batches orders once a week, usually Wednesday evening.

Once your order is batched you will receive a so-called ETA date. After that you just wait ... because regardless of the ETA published your test will take as long as it does, all factors considered.
                            So I might still get it before Christmas???

Comment

So I might still get it before Christmas???
                              Stranger things have been known to occur.

Comment

Working...
                              X