Missing Family Finder results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Family Finder results

My dad's Family Finder results have been missing (except for 2 pages of "new since"), for several weeks!

It was my understanding the engineering department was working on this and they would be available by today. I'm waiting ... and checking ... and

Same here, it must be hard problem to fix all this time?

Comment

It sure was nice of them to leave for a long weekend without giving an update on the status of this when continually saying it would be fixed by the 22nd.

Comment

On the Facebook Admin page I was told that the cause had been found and they were working on the fix. Next week possibly Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by Kathleen Carrow View Post
          On the Facebook Admin page I was told that the cause had been found and they were working on the fix. Next week possibly Tuesday.
          Where is this Facebook Admin page? Do you mean the Family Tree DNA Facebook page or is there another? I don't see any recent updates on their main Facebook page.

Comment

I see there is a FTDNA Project Admins Facebook group, great communication giving updates on a closed Facebook group.

Comment

Originally posted by travers View Post
              I see there is a FTDNA Project Admins Facebook group, great communication giving updates on a closed Facebook group.
              Yes, why not use the company-created designated "Announcements" forum (http://forums.familytreedna.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63), or "Bug reports" forum (http://forums.familytreedna.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163), instead of just Facebook for Admins? The posts would take the same amount of time, or one could be explained at one spot and linked in another. Why keep most of the affected customers guessing and on edge?

I ask the question rhetorically - not holding my breath that things are going to change soon, even though I think this style of customer interaction is ultimately uncompetitive for business in the long run.
              Last edited by rr1; 23 May 2015, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by travers View Post
                It sure was nice of them to leave for a long weekend without giving an update on the status of this when continually saying it would be fixed by the 22nd.
                This is beyond ridiculous. I will not recommend FTDNA to anyone ever again. A nice long weekend I had dedicated to research and can't do a thing with my FTDNA account. Mad and disgusted.

Comment

Getting a bit ticked off here also...

It will be about a month sans matches for me. As far as FF goes that's my greatest benefit. FF tells me I'm 100% Euro. Made us all laugh. I have documented NA and African lines (we even know who "owned" them) and the Euro lines on Dad's side have been away from Europe for 300-400 years or so. Mom's a different story as everything is unknown. Need to research and triangulate matches to get a better fix on her. Need the matches back.

Comment

Originally posted by Mau View Post
                    It will be about a month sans matches for me. As far as FF goes that's my greatest benefit. FF tells me I'm 100% Euro. Made us all laugh. I have documented NA and African lines (we even know who "owned" them) and the Euro lines on Dad's side have been away from Europe for 300-400 years or so. Mom's a different story as everything is unknown. Need to research and triangulate matches to get a better fix on her. Need the matches back.
                    That is very, very interesting! If you do not mind sharing, what are the components of your 100% European?

By the way, myOrigins describes the situation more like 1000 years ago and further into past, than genealogical times.

W. (Mr.)

Comment

@W...

Originally posted by dna View Post
                      That is very, very interesting! If you do not mind sharing, what are the components of your 100% European?

By the way, myOrigins describes the situation more like 1000 years ago and further into past, than genealogical times.

W. (Mr.)
                      95% Western/Central Europe and 5% Finland and Northern Siberia.

I understand at this time that myorigins appears to be an inexact exploration of ones origen. Our collective origen goes back much further than 1000 years. The origen of my Native, African and Euro ancestors all go back at least 1000 years. Why does only Europe show up autosomally here? I think part of the answer is that the Eastern US tribes were mixing with seafaring peoples since long before Colon the savage got lost, the African component mixed here and also that FTDNA is a very Euro-centric medium of origen.

Comment

Upload your DNA to Gedmatch and run their admixture. It may show your NA.

Comment

@Tenn

Originally posted by Tenn4ever View Post
                          Upload your DNA to Gedmatch and run their admixture. It may show your NA.
                          I have, and it does, but their reference databases have no input from Southeastern US tribes. My sister shows South Amerindian and I show North Amerindian there. We both show traces of East Asian and Siberian and alot of Mediterranean. Interesting also that I show Omitic and Hadza ancestry and she shows Bantu with nary a trace of what I show. I think these things show exactly how inexact this whole thing is at the moment.

Comment

@Mau

I just posted about the same topic elsewhere in the forum, but I am rephrasing it here for your convenience.

There are two separate issues that might make one's myOrigins results do not match apparent (known) ancestry. That is in addition to myOrigins referring to populations before genealogical times or choice and number of reference populations.

Do you know the exact heritage of all of your ancestors living 10 generations ago (approximately 300 years ago, at 30 years for each generation)? There were potentially up to 1024 of them... It is possible that you have received more of your DNA from those ancestors about whose ancestry you know less.

The second issue is that one does not receive DNA from all of the ancestors, as DNA is inherited in (small) segments/chunks. At certain genetic distance (number of genearations) one starts not receiving any DNA from some of her of his ancestors. You may want read the following references, before you continue to analyze your results in more detail.The processes described above to some extent also explain why you and your sister have different results.

W. (Mr.)

P.S.
                            DNA analysis is exact . However, DNA inheritance is a process that intrinsically involves randomness. Thus drawing conclusions that are reaching many generations into the past cannot be exact in the same fashion as 2 + 2 = 4 ...

Comment

Originally posted by Mau View Post
                              95% Western/Central Europe and 5% Finland and Northern Siberia. [---]
                              myOrigins might be unable to see whether your 5% that is not Western/Central Europe comes from North America or Finland and Northern Siberia.

That is a general issue with myOrigins. North American and Finland/Northern Siberia populations are actually related but could be distinguished. And some other tools using different reference populations (and possibly algorithms) do that.

Please also see my previous post

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Working...
                              X