Getting email notification of new y-dna matches but no new matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting email notification of new y-dna matches but no new matches

Anyone else getting y dna match notifications but not seeing any new matches?

I've had 189 25 marker matches for several weeks. Today I get a notification of a 25 marker match, but when I ran the matches, no new matches since 4/8/14 and my total is still 189.

Same thing has happened with the 12 marker email notifications. No new matches.

So do I have hidden matches or is the notification system screwed up?

Originally posted by MitchellSince1893 View Post
    Anyone else getting y dna match notifications but not seeing any new matches?
    I received two notifications today for project members. One had no new matches since April and the last match for the other was May 3.

Comment

Yes, I get them frequently with the last matches being a couple months ago. Plus, I received an FMS match today. I was excited about that but it wasn't an FMS match but a match from about three weeks ago and only at the HVR2 level not full FMS. I check everyday so I don't need emails. I would prefer that they not even be sent.
      Last edited by Tenn4ever; 21 May 2015, 06:16 PM.

Comment

I get similar Y match updates

I get the updates, too, but they are skewed in time by days, or are not really there. Honestly, the 12 markers matches are pretty useless. It would be nice if a filter could be used.

Comment

Originally posted by BBA64 View Post
          I get the updates, too, but they are skewed in time by days, or are not really there. Honestly, the 12 markers matches are pretty useless. It would be nice if a filter could be used.
          There is a long standing request that FTDNA decouples showing matches from the notifications about them.

For example, I want to be shown to my Y DNA 12 markers matches, but I am not interested in learning every week that there are 4, 5 or 6 more of them.

The same problem with mtDNA, I do not want to receive notifications that somebody has the same HVR1 as me, but I want my matches to see me (and my detailed haplogroup, since I had done the FMS test).

And similarly with Family Finder...

You may want to let Family Tree DNA know what you think

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Match notifications are all over the board.

Sometimes the matches show up, and no notifications are ever sent, sometimes the notifications come long after the matches are posted, and sometimes the notifications come, then the match shows up several days later.

I've personally experienced all three of these scenarios.

Comment

I am having the issue of getting Y DNA match notifications with zero or a greatly reduced matches showing up on my Y DNA Match list. This has been going on since early January 2015 in my case. I had put in my concerns of the issue to FTDNA, who said the issue was fixed, however shortly after that statement I have been receiving similar notifications right up to today. I have passed along the issue to FTDNA with no further replies unfortunately.

As of today 15 May 2015 I have received:

Total of 50, Y67 DNA Match Notifications, but have only received 20 actual matches on my match list; and

Total of 10, Y111 DNA Match Notifications, but have only received 2 actual matches on my match list.

FYI, FTDNA sent me this response this afternoon (so lets hope the issue will be resolved soon):

"Thank you for your email. For each new Y-DNA 67 marker match you have the system is sending triplicate notifications. The engineering team is aware of this issue. On top of this there was an error sending out match notifications and once this was corrected old match notifications were being sent some about two weeks old. There is another problem though where Y-DNA matches are only going one way. This results in a match being able to see you but you cannot see them or vice versa. The engineering team is going to start working on this after they get the Family Finder matches correct mid next week. I am sorry for the inconvenience. "

Comment

This is part of the "one-way match" problem that is plaguing us.

Someone new is tested, their results get posted, and they can see all their matches. Their matches, however, can't see them. Still, match notifications go out to their matches who the go looking for new matches and see nothing.

Example:

Patrick's results are posted, and he can see all his matches including a match with John.

John gets a match notification, but sees no new matches and cannot see Patrick in his matches list.

Comment

Working...
                X