Lost, dazed and frustrated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost, dazed and frustrated

I just want to begin by saying I was really glad when I was told about this site, however I am growing very frustrated with the whole process.

I understand tests take time and I have no problem waiting, however, I am starting to feel like I'm on a roller coaster ride. I upload my autosomal results from Ancestry and shortly they show completed and I show matches. I feel great I'm on my way, it doesn't even matter that none of the surnames have ever showed up in my family tree. So I order a Y-DNA test, send in the sample. I wait and one day it's received then batched and I have an estimated range. Shortly thereafter the results from my autosomal transfer disappear. Then a few days later they reappear but now my autosomal test shows a new batch date and now status pending with an estimated date. My Y-DNA test shows a completely new and pushed back estimate. So I have DNA matches for a test that is now showing incomplete and a new revised Y-DNA date. Ok, but then after awhile I get that my test results are delayed yet again. I make an inquiry and I am told not to worry. Finally today I notice my results say:

Your sample has failed to pass quality control at least once. If we have additional sample, we are already retesting. If we do not have sample, we have sent you an email with instructions.

All this time and never an email or notification of any problem until today. I understand time, delays, setbacks but the lack of explanation and communication I do not. I was deployed multiple times in combat in the infantry, so I know about things not going according to plan, having to make adjustments, etc.

If I need to retest, let's get it on. I had enough of hurry up and wait in the army. My fun meter is all pegged out and that box is checked.

Nevertheless I remain hopeful and optimistic.

Just about surnames...

Originally posted by Infantry169 View Post
    [----] [----] I upload my autosomal results from Ancestry and shortly they show completed and I show matches. I feel great I'm on my way, it doesn't even matter that none of the surnames have ever showed up in my family tree. [----] Nevertheless I remain hopeful and optimistic.
    One of the kits I administer participated in the original deployment of Family Finder.

Our family tree almost covers the range of relationships Family Finder is supposed to discover. And we were only after a couple of lost branches. We were totally unprepared for the tens of IBS matches.

Are you asking about IBS? The Family Tree DNA Learning Center explains what Identical By State (IBS) is http://ftdna.com/learn/faq-items/identical-state-ibs/. But back then the FAQ did not have that entry.

Good luck in discovering which matches are IBS and which ones are IBD !

W. (Mr.)

P.S.
    There are some very knowledgeable people around here and they can help you in developing research procedures suited to your particular situation.

Comment

It's a brand new day

It isn't that bad really I think I was just in a bad mood. I engage my mouth before I engage my brain sometimes. I look forward to doing more testing.

Originally posted by dna View Post
      One of the kits I administer participated in the original deployment of Family Finder.

Our family tree almost covers the range of relationships Family Finder is supposed to discover. And we were only after a couple of lost branches. We were totally unprepared for the tens of IBS matches.

Are you asking about IBS? The Family Tree DNA Learning Center explains what Identical By State (IBS) is http://ftdna.com/learn/faq-items/identical-state-ibs/. But back then the FAQ did not have that entry.

Good luck in discovering which matches are IBS and which ones are IBD !

W. (Mr.)

P.S.
      There are some very knowledgeable people around here and they can help you in developing research procedures suited to your particular situation.

Comment

It isn't that bad really I think I was just in a bad mood. I engage my mouth before I engage my brain sometimes. I look forward to doing more testing.
        When analyzing Family Finder results, try to start with matches that share the Longest Block with you.

Assuming that your ancestors are not from the endogamous populations, I would always try to reach out to those with whom your Longest Block is at least 20 cM. Then depending on your time and resources, I would to try to contact those with the Longest Block of at least 15 cM.

If nobody shares with you the Longest Block of at least 15 cM, then be prepared for a large number of false positives. And Family Finder designers had really no choice here as they did not want to lose positive matches...

Mr. W.

Comment

Your sample has failed to pass quality control at least once. If we have additional sample, we are already retesting. If we do not have sample, we have sent you an email with instructions.

This is the default excuse for delayed tests, but it may not even be remotely true. In my own case, I was told this repeatedly by customer service and was even told that they were sending me a new kit (which never came), but then I was later informed by the president of the company that they had not even begun actually running my test by that point!

Comment

Working...
          X