X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dna
    replied
    Originally posted by sshayward View Post
    [----] I am totally baffled???? Where am I going wrong here?
    Thanks in advance for the help.
    Stephanie
    Thank you for providing the detailed Y DNA information. We are all related , not only through Eve, but also through Adam .

You are not doing anything wrong . The relationship is most likely very distant, 500 years is roughly the same as 15 generations ( 15 generations * 30 years / generation = 450 years ).

W. (Mr.)

Leave a comment:

• Armando
    replied
    The match on the Y-DNA 25 was a step 2 match. The match had a haplogroup of R-DF105 whereas my brother's is R-M269 which may not mean much until we do further testing.

Ancestors of my 3rd great grandparents (the match we have in common) had been in the US since the early 1800's, and remember, this is on my paternal grandmother's side. My paternal great-grandfather (male lineage) did not come to the US until 1869 and was born in Canada to Scottish parents. I have lineage records on both sides.
    I am totally baffled????Where am I going wrong here?
    Stephanie
    Did the 25 marker match get a 37 marker test? You can tell by what it says in between the name of the match and the most distant ancestor column in the Y-DNA match page.

If the match had the 37 marker test but does not match your brother at 37 markers then the common ancestor can be from as far back as 4,000 years ago depending on which SNPs your brother shares with the match after your brother has had some SNP tests.

Leave a comment:

• jbarry6899
    replied
    The match on the Y-DNA 25 was a step 2 match. T
    If you had a 2 step match at 25 but no match at 37, that means that the genetic distance is at least 5 at 37 markers, perhaps more, since FTDNA only lists 37 marker matches out to a GD of 4.. That suggests that any common paternal ancestor is many hundreds of years away; using one of the available calculators there is only a 50% chance of a common paternal ancestor in the past 500 years. If this match is valid at all, it is likely to be very, very distant.

If you join a haplogroup or surname project, and your match is also there, the administrator can use the genetic distance tool to get a more precise figure on the distance at 37 markers.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Sarmat
    replied
    The match on the Y-DNA 25 was a step 2 match.
    Here's what the FTDNA Learning Center says about matches at that level:

Originally posted by FTDNA
    Without additional evidence, it is unlikely that you share a common ancestor in recent genealogical times (1 to 6 generations). You may have a connection in more distant genealogical times (less than 15 generations). If you have traditional genealogy records that indicate a relationship, then by testing additional individuals you will either prove or disprove the connection.
    https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...ionship-match/

Leave a comment:

• sshayward
    replied
    Y-DNA information

Originally posted by dna View Post
    Yes, if you can please provide that information for Y DNA and Family Finder.

Also, Y DNA can be unchanged for 200 or 300 years, as the mutation rates give only averages when the changes occur. So the relationship on Y DNA could be further in the past, than 4th great-grandparents.

W. (Mr.)
    The match on the Y-DNA 25 was a step 2 match. The match had a haplogroup of R-DF105 whereas my brother's is R-M269 which may not mean much until we do further testing.

Ancestors of my 3rd great grandparents (the match we have in common) had been in the US since the early 1800's, and remember, this is on my paternal grandmother's side. My paternal great-grandfather (male lineage) did not come to the US until 1869 and was born in Canada to Scottish parents. I have lineage records on both sides.
    I am totally baffled????Where am I going wrong here?
    Stephanie

Leave a comment:

• dna
    replied
    Originally posted by Sarmat View Post
    What level of matching and at what genetic distance?
    Yes, if you can please provide that information for Y DNA and Family Finder.

Also, Y DNA can be unchanged for 200 or 300 years, as the mutation rates give only averages when the changes occur. So the relationship on Y DNA could be further in the past, than 4th great-grandparents.

W. (Mr.)

Leave a comment:

• ec1970
    replied
    We finally received my brother's Y-DNA 37 after waiting for over 4 months. What little I know about DNA tells me there might be something wrong with his results.
    On my sister's and my Family Finder we have identified a 4th cousin on our paternal grandmother's side (4th great-grandparents). This person appeared as a match on my brother's Y-DNA which I don't understand - the match would have come from his paternal grandmother. I would expect this person to appear on his Family Finder which we have not yet ordered.
    Is it possible a Family Finder got mixed up with Y-DNA????
    Cousins marrying was not an uncommon occurrence at one time. Especially in more rural areas of the country.

Leave a comment:

• Tenn4ever
    replied
    We finally received my brother's Y-DNA 37 after waiting for over 4 months. What little I know about DNA tells me there might be something wrong with his results.
    On my sister's and my Family Finder we have identified a 4th cousin on our paternal grandmother's side (4th great-grandparents). This person appeared as a match on my brother's Y-DNA which I don't understand - the match would have come from his paternal grandmother. I would expect this person to appear on his Family Finder which we have not yet ordered.
    Is it possible a Family Finder got mixed up with Y-DNA????:confused:
    Don't think so. You may want to give this a little more thought

Leave a comment:

• Sarmat
    replied
    What level of matching and at what genetic distance?

Leave a comment:

• sshayward
    started a topic Really puzzled and frustrated!

Really puzzled and frustrated!

Is it possible a Family Finder got mixed up with Y-DNA????
Working...
X