waste of time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waste of time

how does it help to join a group/project for my mtDNA group if all they do is post discounts on more tests?

Or they do not post, answer questions at all?

I have found out more on my own then in any of these "groups"

I think it really depends on the group. I have several that I have joined with my kit, my husbands, my fathers, and my kids. Some have inactive moderators and members. Some have a lot of activity, but are too "busy" to really focus. My favorite though is my surname of Hefner group. The new page is not really active, and it is a small group of people. That said... the administrator and several of my matches have begun e-mailing regularly as new information arises. It is the only group I feel is benefiting me right now.

What is disappointing with all groups though, is how they are geared for yDNA and mtDNA and not designed for Family Finder. There are many directions that I want to research, but without having the right yDNA or mtDNA line, it is extremely difficult to participate! Luckily, I was able to get my dad's yDNA for the Hefner group. That has been my biggest success (confirmed paternal ancestor)

Comment

My mtDNA project has a fairly active Facebook page run by the project administrators. Perhaps one exists for yours as well?

Comment

And it also really depends on your agenda/needs.

Some questions can only be answered in a project setting, since you would not be able to see other people results otherwise.

W. (Mr.)

Comment

I am a project administrator for an mtDNA group project (a regional one, not a haplogroup one) and I sort their results manually into categories with additional information on the category and in some cases further testing advice. The activity feed is also available for the members to collaborate and I try to email periodically with updates. It really depends on the project though as others have said, some administrators are more active than others, and some may go through periods of inactivity as other aspects of their lives take up more of their time. For some mtDNA projects it is really more a waiting game for more results to accumulate to be able to notice patterns.

Comment

the L3 group and project do nothing, sad really.

That is ok because I am on 23&me and learning.

Just think if there is a group or project that all they want to do is sell more tests it should be closed.

Comment

Originally posted by hazel_ion View Post

Just think if there is a group or project that all they want to do is sell more tests it should be closed.
              Discount postings were supposed to end a couple of weeks ago.

I think they were supposed to be removed globally, so you should not be seeing them daily...

And what kind of activity would you like to see on a mtDNA haplogroup project?

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Originally posted by hazel_ion View Post

The coupons were posted automatically from FTDNA.
                They appear under the Project Admins name, but the Admins have nothing to do with the coupons being posted.
                They should have been posted under a FTDNA name.
                Dont blame the Project Admins for all the coupons, as they have no control on them. Trying to delete them depends on wether the delete function is working or not. Some Admins may not know how to delete the coupons.

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
                  Discount postings were supposed to end a couple of weeks ago.

I think they were supposed to be removed globally, so you should not be seeing them daily...

And what kind of activity would you like to see on a mtDNA haplogroup project?

W. (Mr.)

Would be nice to have info / papers / research on that group. Ref. things to read, someone to answer questions if needed. And if they don't have an answer at least comment they do not know.

If I find something about my mtDNA subgroup I try to share with others that may what the info.

So little is known about my subgroup but I am sure more with be as more people test.

Comment

Good point. I tried to join a surname group (of a paternal great great grandmother) where I had reached a brick wall after doing considerable research. My request was VERY, VERY rudely rebuffed by a group administrator because I did not have the same surname. Nowhere in the group charter did it say that, nor did it say that it was a yDNA group (like some others do). I'm afraid that gave me a very sour opinion of groups at FTDNA.

John

Originally posted by jsarnacki View Post
                    I think it really depends on the group. I have several that I have joined with my kit, my husbands, my fathers, and my kids. Some have inactive moderators and members. Some have a lot of activity, but are too "busy" to really focus. My favorite though is my surname of Hefner group. The new page is not really active, and it is a small group of people. That said... the administrator and several of my matches have begun e-mailing regularly as new information arises. It is the only group I feel is benefiting me right now.

What is disappointing with all groups though, is how they are geared for yDNA and mtDNA and not designed for Family Finder. There are many directions that I want to research, but without having the right yDNA or mtDNA line, it is extremely difficult to participate! Luckily, I was able to get my dad's yDNA for the Hefner group. That has been my biggest success (confirmed paternal ancestor)

Comment

Haplogroup Migration Map

*** Your current Flash plugin version: ***

The features offered in this chart require Adobe Flash Player version 10, 0, 0 or higher.
                      Click the link below to download the latest Adobe Flash Player.

I HAVE THIS BUT STILL CAN'T USE THE MAPS!!!!!!!!!

Comment

There are groups that focus on autosomal DNA out there. I admin one but it is listed under Dual Geographic Projects because there really isn't a better category for us.

I agree that all projects are not created equally and neither are admins. My project is small (just over 200 members) and it takes more hours than I want to add up each week to manually notify the group of inter project FF matches, update the surname/county list, and write tutorials and case studies for the group.

Fortunately, all that helps encourage the project members to engage and we are getting a lot of use out of the new Groups. People are posting on the Activity Feed, the Faq is now live etc.

Comment

Working...
                        X