Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N43154
    replied
    Yes, you pay for the tests or you find a group of people who are interested in the results and get them to pay. Also, if you're doing yDNA for genealogical purposes, there's no point in testing a father or brothers. Start with a more distant cousin like a descendant of a different son of your 3rd great grandfather. If descendants of two different sons match, then the yDNA for the 3rd great grandfather is proven -- but not the yDNA for the 4th, the 5th, etc grandfather. You have to continue locating more distant cousins to prove yDNA farther and farther back.

Leave a comment:

• lgmayka
    replied
    Originally posted by jimjwilliamson View Post
    I have found several distant cousins who I need to get samples from, I have the cash to get them going, 12 marker kits, if they still exist, and can always upgrade them later....
    Y-DNA12 is still offered if you go through a project order page such as this one.

Leave a comment:

• prairielad
    replied
    Originally posted by ec1970 View Post
    Brothers don't have a GD of zero at 67 markers?
    STR mutations can happen at any time.

My father and his brother are 1GD at 37 markers

My father and his paternal 1st Cousin are 4 GD @ 67 markers.

Cousins markers are the closest to surname matches.

One of my fathers markers (DYS576) is a two step mutation or it mutated once in my Grandfather, then again in my Father.
    for my Father it is 20, his brother is 19, and cousin and surname group 18

Leave a comment:

• ec1970
    replied
    Brothers don't have a GD of zero at 67 markers?

Leave a comment:

• jimjwilliamson
    replied
    Originally posted by Tenn4ever View Post
    Yes, that's what you do and if you have to anti up the money to pay for a kit you do if you're serious.
    I've done just that.
    At this point I'm still in the dark with my own kit, but, funny enough, my brother, who I paid for 67 markers for, gets hits regularly.
    He and I differ one one marker out of the 67 he is tested for, and I need to bump him to 111 which I have done for myself.
    That one marker gets him hits that never show in my matches... it's almost funny. Almost.

You do what you need to do. I have found several distant cousins who I need to get samples from, I have the cash to get them going, 12 marker kits, if they still exist, and can always upgrade them later....

Leave a comment:

• Tenn4ever
    replied
    Originally posted by N43154 View Post
    Only a teeny tiny percentage of the male population has tested for yDNA. Given this fact, probability would say that most men who do test will not have a match. What to do? Serious genealogists don't sit around complaining about this, they go out and recruit candidates to test. That's how many family lines have been proven. I have a family line that went from 0 matches in 2005 (through the National Geographic Geonomic Project) to 12 matches now, proving a patriach line in early VA.
    Yes, that's what you do and if you have to anti up the money to pay for a kit you do if you're serious.

Leave a comment:

• N43154
    started a topic Wish you had yDNA matches?

Wish you had yDNA matches?

Only a teeny tiny percentage of the male population has tested for yDNA. Given this fact, probability would say that most men who do test will not have a match. What to do? Serious genealogists don't sit around complaining about this, they go out and recruit candidates to test. That's how many family lines have been proven. I have a family line that went from 0 matches in 2005 (through the National Geographic Geonomic Project) to 12 matches now, proving a patriach line in early VA.
Working...
X