FTDNA reseller will not ship to Poland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTDNA reseller will not ship to Poland

MyHeritage resells the DNA tests of Family Tree DNA (and also 23andMe). In particular, they offer the combination of Family Finder and mtFullSequence at the attractive price of $199. A potential customer in Poland, though, quickly finds that MyHeritage will not ship to that country, even though it gladly ships to Germany, Slovakia, Lithuania, Ukraine, and even Russia. Their response to my inquiry gave no real explanation:
    ---
    The reason why Poland is not given as an option is due to the fact that, as a company, we are not allowed to offer the option to buy a DNA test in certain countries. Poland and France are an example.
    ---

One might suspect that some other company has an exclusive deal to resell FTDNA's tests in Poland, but my project has not heard of any such company--participants simply order from FTDNA directly.

Owner of one of the kits I administer had saved for me a Polish newspaper from the 26th of March 2015. She was not worried, she just wanted to hear my comments.

Electronic edition is behind a paywall I have the paper copy in my hands. On the 26th, Gazeta Wyborcza has published a couple of reports about genetic testing in Poland (rating of local test labs, coverage of existing legislation, warnings about shady companies offering cheap but fake paternity testing etc.). FTDNA or its related companies were not mentioned. It was however pointed out over and over again that the current Polish legislation does not offer the same level of protection as in some other European Union countries. The same week other Polish media outlets had also (independently) covered similar topics.

It is possible that a legislation is being prepared in Poland that is similar in scope to the French one. And the media campaign was just the first step. Is MyHeritage taking precautions seeing how small**** the market for genealogical testing in Poland is? Maybe. However, at this moment there appear to be no limits whatsoever on sending DNA test kits to and from Poland.

W. (Mr.)

**** When looking up ancestry of those who tested Y-DNA12, over 72 thousands listed British Isles and over 5 thousands Poland.
    Last edited by dna; 5 May 2015, 12:44 PM.

Comment

I order all my kits in my name and then mail them separately to who I want them to go to....yes... it's an extra expense. I send a prepaid envelope to the person (in some cases) and have them mail the kits back to me and then I mail them back to FTDNA. In some cases I just advise them to mail them back to FTDNA but if I feel there can be a problem then I have them mail them back to me.

This can be done to ANY overseas address . Take care of everything yourself. Yes, it takes much longer but you can get around the system this way .

Comment

Originally posted by Tenn4ever View Post
        I order all my kits in my name and then mail them separately to who I want them to go to....yes... it's an extra expense. I send a prepaid envelope to the person (in some cases) and have them mail the kits back to me and then I mail them back to FTDNA. In some cases I just advise them to mail them back to FTDNA but if I feel there can be a problem then I have them mail them back to me.

This can be done to ANY overseas address . Take care of everything yourself. Yes, it takes much longer but you can get around the system this way .
        Family Tree DNA does ship to Poland, and kits from Poland successfully get to Houston (disregarding for a moment any USPS Houston issues). So, at least in case of Poland, MyHeritage explanation has no supporting evidence.

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Working...
        X