FTDNA Changed the "delay" message!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTDNA Changed the "delay" message!

Well, just got the notice my dad's yDNA that I am very anxious to get back are delayed. There are other people waiting for his results as well. Frustrated, but I expected it with the delays we have had lately. On the bright side though, they finally changed the "delayed" message!

We understand your frustration in not receiving your results as anticipated. We appreciate your patience as we work to provide you with reliable, accurate results. If you have a question about your specific kit, please fill out a contact form and choose the Test Status category for the quickest response.

That is much better than the notice that had everyone wondering if they had a bad sample!

That is much better than ...
    : )

This is one of the typical "delay message".

Other for the 2015 season:

- Results for your order have been delayed. We have updated your predicted completion date, and action by you is not usually required. Note that predicted dates are an estimate and subject to lab volume and quality control.

- A portion of your testing failed to pass quality control and is in the process of being re-tested. If we need additional sample, an email will be sent to the primary email address on the account. Thank you for your patience.

- Your test has been delayed. Action by you at this time is not necessary. Note that predicted dates are an estimate and subject to lab volume and quality control.

- We understand your frustration in not receiving your results as anticipated. We appreciate your patience as we work to provide you with reliable, accurate results. There are many possible reasons for your delay, such as our need to re-run your test or we need more sample.

- Your kit has been brought to the attention of our data assurance team and will be reviewed to determine what further action is necessary. We appreciate your patience as we work to provide you with reliable, accurate results. There are many possible reasons for your delay, such as our need to re-run your test or we need more sample. If we need more sample, we will send a new collection kit to the address on the account.
    Last edited by 263026; 29 April 2015, 02:15 AM.

Comment

What is the time frame for a response from the contact form? For me it has been 48 hours and counting. Compared to response times from other businesses this seems unreasonable. It is hard to have faith in this company.

Comment

Originally posted by Lwh02 View Post
        What is the time frame for a response from the contact form? For me it has been 48 hours and counting. Compared to response times from other businesses this seems unreasonable. It is hard to have faith in this company.
        I'd like the answer to this as well. I transferred my sister's raw data from AncestryDNA and it's on day 5 still processing. I submitted a contact form and it's been crickets.

Comment

On April 21st I spoke to Customer Support by phone and the young lady said she would send me an email as to my delay in test results (Batch 603 Y111).

Today is April 29th and still no response from Customer Support and no results after 17 weeks.

Comment

Normally the turn around time for email replies is about 48 hours. I am seeing an increase of this though in the past week or so. I am also available to help if you want to send me a private message (please include a contact email address).

-Darren
            Family Tree DNA

Comment

Finally got my answer:

Dear #######,

Thank you for contacting Family Tree DNA. Unfortunately, your sample failed to yield results for the Family Finder test. It is currently re-running, and if it passes quality control, we expect results to be available in about 3-4 weeks. We apologize for the delay and appreciate your patience as we work to yield accurate results from your sample.

I find this generally unsatisfying, as the test was batched on 3/11/15. The dreaded delay message showed up around 4/1. So it has already been four weeks since they knew it was a poor sample. And now 3-4 weeks more?. That doesn't seem in line with most FF timelines.

I honestly wish there was an option to get your money back.

Comment

Well, I don't know if the changed message was a totally new one as post #2 states, but it was the first time I had seen it and I like it much better than the previous one I and many others I had seen were getting!

That said, despite the delayed message, once again, I got my results ON TIME! And I was shocked to get my dad's yDNA and Family Finder back TOGETHER! I should note, I added the family finder only a few weeks ago and originally only ordered yDNA and mtDNA for him. Needless to say, I am thrilled to have gotten the yDNA results back ON TIME! I was shocked, as I didn't even bother to check, but was e-mailed by someone anxiously awaiting his results who saw my dad pop up on his match list. Also, I am thrilled that my dad's yDNA matched that of a distant cousin, who also descends from the same patriarch that I was hoping to confirm. I have now, with some level of confidence, have confirmed my patriarch line for 7 generations before me. The only remaining question, is that our patriarch #2 seems to have a brother with a son who is of the same name as my patriarch #3. Their information seems to be identical, leading us to wonder if our Patriarch #2 is really the father of our Patriarch #3, OR if his brother is the father! Not sure how to verify with brother was the father just yet as I don't know of anyone who descends from the brother to have tested. My line is the only known line of Patriarch #2, so there are no known other descent lines to test from.

Anyway... despite all the delay notices, I have gotten everything back ON TIME (or 1 day late) except for the mtDNA. I am thrilled. Now... if only I could get the mail system to cooperate... I have had 2 tests significantly delayed by the postal service (mailed from different states so the problem is likely Houston).

Comment

Batched 2/4/15

Originally posted by Lwh02 View Post
                  Finally got my answer:

Dear #######,

Thank you for contacting Family Tree DNA. Unfortunately, your sample failed to yield results for the Family Finder test. It is currently re-running, and if it passes quality control, we expect results to be available in about 3-4 weeks. We apologize for the delay and appreciate your patience as we work to yield accurate results from your sample.

I find this generally unsatisfying, as the test was batched on 3/11/15. The dreaded delay message showed up around 4/1. So it has already been four weeks since they knew it was a poor sample. And now 3-4 weeks more?. That doesn't seem in line with most FF timelines.

I honestly wish there was an option to get your money back.
                  Amen!! Same sitch, if slightly altered wording. I am in Batch 608, waiting for my mT Full Sequence results to come back, (so as to help me justify to my husband the $200 expense I incurred back in mid January, when I first purchased the kit; sent it back January 22rd-- batched on February 4th)
                  I too have had my results delayed, twice now, with an original time frame that had been set for March 17th-31, which led to my first generic delay of April 15th-29th, which has now morphed into May 13th-27th. The first delay date set was a generic "experiencing delays" message, so I did not make specific inquiries into the matter until it was the 27th of April, and I started getting antsy. I then contacted Darren by PM, who informed me on April 28th that, "I have heard back from the lab. The first run on your mtDNA test recently failed. The lab is now rerunning the test. provided everything looks good on this second run it should be between three to six weeks to complete. I am sorry for the trouble this causes". I still had the generic delay message putting me at results by April 29th with NO mention of such a failure, until after I had submitted an inquiry through the FTDNA system, right around the end of the month, when the generic message displayed updated to the new May time window, altering the wording slightly, but still offering no indication of any "sample failure". The formal explanation I received in followup to my FTDNA "test status inquiry" seconded Darren's info regarding my test's "sample failure" but also stated that I could expect it to be delayed by up to an additional "2-3 weeks". So yeah, I do wonder just when it was that my sample first failed, and why they felt the need to wait until very close to the expiration date of the SECOND set of dates I was given for my results, as I'd ALREADY received the first delay message in March, and if presumably it was due to the sample failure, why then did rerunning the test and receiving word which first made mention of all this not occur until nearly May? ("coincidentally" also occurring with when my complaint was lodged).
                  Ok, "EVERYBODY NOW, ALL TOGETHER, SAY IT WITH ME: FTDNA'S APPALLING LACK OF TIMELY, UNIFORM IN RESPONSE COMMUNICATION, OR QUITE TOO OFTEN, ANY COMMUNICATION AT ALL, SPECIFICALLY IN REGARDS TO DELAYS, IS SHAMEFUL!" It is extremely dissatisfying to undergo this sort of treatment as a customer of your company; how any well respected and large corporation such as FTDNA can continue to adhere to such sub-standard business practices, lukewarm customer service, and regrettably unfortunate history in performance of duties integral to fulfilling its mission statement is mind-boggling.

Comment

I should have noted that my description of being provided with "lukewarm customer service" does NOT include FTDNA CS agent Darren within its parameters: he is helpful, and timely.

Comment

Customer service really doesn't seem to know much more than we do. Calling goes no where--it's always a lab or IT issue they have no info on. Using the contact form either just generates canned responses no more helpful than the "Awaiting Results" text, or else no response at all. Seems to be an internal communication issue, and complaining here is just simple venting.

Originally posted by VegasGem View Post
                      I should have noted that my description of being provided with "lukewarm customer service" does NOT include FTDNA CS agent Darren within its parameters: he is helpful, and timely.

Comment

Originally posted by VegasGem View Post
                        I agree.

Comment

So this is the last day of the most recent extension (FF, batch 613, batched on 3/11/15). What now?

The most current message says that it could have been a poor sample. Surely they would have figured out by now if they need a new one?

Or is there more going on behind the scenes at FTDNA?

Comment

Working...
                          X