Help understanding my "intertwined" results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help understanding my "intertwined" results

This is not really a gripe, but I do need help understanding my results. I found out on ancestry.com that my parents are related. They had no idea, but it turns out they are third cousins once removed. How is this affecting my cousin matches on the autosomal Family Finder? So far, it seems that I cannot find out how I am related to anyone out there. Is this fact having some kind of deleterious effect?

Originally posted by kellyrap View Post
    This is not really a gripe, but I do need help understanding my results. I found out on ancestry.com that my parents are related. They had no idea, but it turns out they are third cousins once removed. How is this affecting my cousin matches on the autosomal Family Finder? So far, it seems that I cannot find out how I am related to anyone out there. Is this fact having some kind of deleterious effect?
    No, if anything it would be that your very distant cousins from the family line/branch shared by your parents would show as distant cousins.

I understand that you do not see matches in the Family Finder that you can relate to. That just means nobody from your family has tested. Or they are too far related to you to show in Family Finder. See also below.

You can either retest your parents at FTDNA, or transfer their results from Ancestry. Unfortunately, by testing yourself instead of your parents you had substantially decreased chances of finding relatives from either side (your mother or your father).

You may also want to take a look at http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA_statistics

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Working...
    X