Poll/Survey about time frame/delayed results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll/Survey about time frame/delayed results

I am new to this forum, so my question is if it is possible to initiate a poll to see how many people got their results within the time frame and how many people got a delayed result.

BTW: Is there also a German speaking forum at FTDNA?

Originally posted by E19463 View Post
    I am new to this forum, so my question is if it is possible to initiate a poll to see how many people got their results within the time frame and how many people got a delayed result.

BTW: Is there also a German speaking forum at FTDNA?
    People who are getting results on-time do not post here unless they have some additional questions. So you may not get the correct answer.

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
      People who are getting results on-time do not post here unless they have some additional questions. So you may not get the correct answer.

W. (Mr.)
      That's very true. I was looking back at my order history today, and I actually did receive two individual snp test results quickly. They both came in about two weeks. A couple of my str tests took about five or six weeks, but for a couple others I had to wait longer. I'm currently waiting on a y111 that so far has taken about two months. It seems to vary quite a bit, depending upon multiple factors. It's hard to really extrapolate an average, but the individual snp tests were definitely processed much faster than the other tests.

Comment

By the way, in my opinion, the problem is not in waiting. The problem is that in general we do not know why the delay happened.
        • Is anything broken with the process? Rarely, but it does happen that processing of certain tests is halted due to some lab changes or improvements.

Occasionally we are getting, after the fact, a notification that the lab was upgraded and processing would resume.
          _
        • Is lab overloaded? Sometimes, especially if huge discounts are offered or a sale lasts over an extended period of time.

I do not recall seeing any notification about delays due to capacity limits. However, those who monitor many kits and many tests might see delay patterns that can best be interpreted as the lab having a large backlog.
          _
        • Does your test simply require a re-run (i.e. Quality Control requested a repeat of the entire test or a portion of the test)? Quite often. What does that mean in practical terms? For example, let's assume that a Big Y test takes approximately 7 weeks from start to completion. If it needs to be re-run, it would be another 7 weeks of waiting, and if it had failed for the second time it is 7 more weeks again, etc.

Unfortunately, due to (that is just my guess) a need for privacy and security FTDNA Support cannot access lab systems, so often it appears they are only guessing excuses appropriate for a particular client. How do we know? Well..., on more than one occasion a customer was told that re-runs exhausted his stored DNA, so FTDNA would be sending him another collection kit, and then within a couple of days instead of a postal delivery the test results are posted...

Good luck!

W. (Mr.)
        Last edited by dna; 20 February 2015, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
          Unfortunately, due to (that is just my guess) a need for privacy and security FTDNA Support cannot access lab systems,
          It would be nice to think that it's due to privacy concerns, but I think it's far more likely that their IT infrastructure just hasn't kept up with their growth.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarmat View Post
            It would be nice to think that it's due to privacy concerns, but I think it's far more likely that their IT infrastructure just hasn't kept up with their growth.
            No matter what the reason is, if they are that unreliable when it comes to adhere to deadlines how reliable can they be when it comes to DNA analysis? How can we trust FTDNA any longer? It seems FTDNA does not care about his own reputation.

Comment

The idea that they don't communicate with the customers any better than they do because of security concerns is laughable. In fact, in order for a large lab to run properly they have to have some sort of inventory control system. That system should be able to tell them and us where we stand. That system does not need to show any DNA results. A bar coded tracking system that can tell you the path that the test has taken in the lab has to be in place or something similar. They should have one for the samples and the tests and probably more than that.

Comment

Originally posted by crhfish View Post
                The idea that they don't communicate with the customers any better than they do because of security concerns is laughable. In fact, in order for a large lab to run properly they have to have some sort of inventory control system. That system should be able to tell them and us where we stand. That system does not need to show any DNA results. A bar coded tracking system that can tell you the path that the test has taken in the lab has to be in place or something similar. They should have one for the samples and the tests and probably more than that.
                Should... !

Others and I have suggested something similar last Fall, and how that can be done while preserving security and privacy (pushed updates, no polling, etc.).

W. (Mr.)

P.S. The current system appears to be a leftover from the era when FTDNA was exclusively using the Arizona Research Labs at the University of Arizona.

Comment

Poll on FTDNA Timeliness

Over the past three years, I've done seven Y-tests and ten Family Finder tests with FTDNA. Every single one of them has been completed on time ... most of them early.

Comment

I've done many, many tests over the years on behalf of dozens of carefully selected relatives. All have been done on time. If there has been an issue (such as improperly assigned terminal SNPs after the haplotree upgrade), I have sent them a message through the "contact us" menu, received a reply within a few days. Most known issues have gotten resolved within days to weeks; a few may have taken months.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

It took over 4 months to get the results of a Y-111 test.

Comment

This is what happened to some of our more recent kits.

Ancestry
                        Kit #1 received at lab 5/23/2014 - completed 6/7/2014
                        Kit #2 received at lab 1/19/2015 - completed 2/3/2015
                        My understanding is that this is essentially the same test as FTDNA Family Finder

23andMe
                        Kit #3 received at lab 1/28/2014 - completed 2/16/2014
                        Kit #4 received at lab 3/29/2014 - completed 4/22/2014
                        This is an autosomal test, but is done differently at the lab

FTDNA.

Kit #5 - Batched 6/5/2014 (573)
                        Completed - FF 7/7/2014, Y37 7/9/2014, mT+ 9/4/2014

Kit #6 - Batched 5/29/2014 (572) - FF complete 6/18/2014

Kit #7 - Batched 10/16/2014 (592) - FF complete 11/5/2014, Y1-67 done 1/7/2015

Kit #5 Y37 to Y67 upgrade - Batched 12/4/2014 (599) - End date currently showing is 2/25/2015.
                        ---
                        Kit #1 and Kit #5 were ordered 5/10/2014, went to the same address, and each was mailed out the day after arrival in Arizona. Ancestry completed the autosomal test a month faster than FTDNA. FTDNA wasted a lot of time in shipping and waiting to batch it after receipt.

Comment

Originally posted by crhfish View Post
                          In fact, in order for a large lab to run properly they have to have some sort of inventory control system. That system should be able to tell them and us where we stand. That system does not need to show any DNA results. A bar coded tracking system that can tell you the path that the test has taken in the lab has to be in place or something similar. They should have one for the samples and the tests and probably more than that.
                          Amen. I've been beating that drum for a while now.

Comment

Overdue

Kit #1 Batch 605 Due: 02/04/2015 - 02/18/2015

Still no results and no update for a new completion date.
                            Still no response from my email a few days ago.
                            Now that batch 607 is starting to come in, I'm becoming disenchanted.

Comment

I've spent a few thousand bucks on testing here, spread out over several kits. Most of my tests have come in on time or reasonably close.

Single SNP orders have been the most reliable with a couple of exceptions that took 3-4 weeks longer than predicted.

I had a transfer from 23andme that was supposed to take 2 business days, but ended up taking almost a week for some reason.

The biggest delays came with my biggest tests. My full mito sequence took more than 4 months, while my Big Y took more than 6 months. These two tests were also ordered during big sales promotions. Coincidence? I think not.

My real complaint is not so much that tests sometimes take a while. My real complaint is that (if they even respond at all) FTDNA Customer Service cannot or will not provide real, accurate answers about the status of a test. All they do is select from a menu of stock answers designed to get the customer to stop emailing or calling.

Even worse, some of these stock responses are mind-blowingly stupid, like when they tell a customer that the sample is bad and they will need a new kit, even when it's not true. I've been told that on several tests, only to later find out it's not true. I've also spoken to others who have been told that, only to have the results post in a day or two.

It's merely annoying for someone like me, but imagine the frustration it causes to someone who's waiting for results from a deceased or dying relative! And judging from the complaints on these forums alone, it seems to happen a lot.
                              Last edited by Sarmat; 21 February 2015, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X