Haplogroup Tree errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haplogroup Tree errors

I am R-L176 and this exists in two separate parts of the R haplogroup. (R1a and R1b)
    For some reason I have suddenly been shown on the Y-DNA haplogroup tree in the wrong part, in the region of R1a when I should be in the R1b region.
    I have contacted FTDNA about this but their reply makes no sense and they have ignored me.
    has this happened to anyone else?

You may have better luck if you can get a project administrator to advocate for you.

Comment

A specific SNP can be in any branch, it depends if you have the other defining SNPs of that particular branch. This location is at a specific position on the y chromosome. Let say, hypothetically, ancestral value is "A" when it changes to "G" one is positive for L176. Therefore a specific SNP can appear in any branch at any time, it just depends which other defining SNPs one has for correct subclade branch

For example for R-L176 is located in two separate branches of different ages in tree FTDNA currently uses.
      also listed twice in ISOGG 2015 Y-DNA tree
      http://www.isogg.org/tree/ISOGG_HapgrpR.html

R-L176(L176.1)
      Has the defining mutations of CTS4179, L448, Z284, Z280, Z282, Z283, ect.

R-L176 (L176.2)
      Has the defining mutations of DF27, Z195, L21, P312, P311, ect.

Both share the Defining mutations of R-M173 and above

Edit

Re read and see that you are listed in incorrect branch of R-L176 not that they have listed L176 twice.

As mentioned by Sarmat inquire to your Haplogroup admin
      Last edited by prairielad; 18 February 2015, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bedlam49 View Post
        I am R-L176 and this exists in two separate parts of the R haplogroup. (R1a and R1b)
        For some reason I have suddenly been shown on the Y-DNA haplogroup tree in the wrong part, in the region of R1a when I should be in the R1b region.
        I have contacted FTDNA about this but their reply makes no sense and they have ignored me.
        has this happened to anyone else?
        Are you predicted to be R-L176? I think you are...

Did you have the Big Y test?
        • Do you have M420 or Z283? Then you are R1a.
        • Do you have L21 or Z195? Then you are R1b.
        Mr. W.

P.S. STRs can only predict, they cannot guarantee anything.

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
          Are you predicted to be R-L176? I think you are...

Did you have the Big Y test?
          • Do you have M420 or Z283? Then you are R1a.
          • Do you have L21 or Z195? Then you are R1b.
          Mr. W.

P.S. STRs can only predict, they cannot guarantee anything.
          STRs can only predict, they cannot guarantee anything.

There are projects for both R1a-L176.1 https://www.familytreedna.com/public/R1a1a1h/default.aspx and R1b-L176.2 https://www.familytreedna.com/public/R1b1c6/default.aspx. Check the value of your DYS19 marker. When comparing to people who already tested with FTDNA, if it is 15 or 16, you can be predicted to be R1a. If it is 13 or 14, you can be predicted to be R1b.

However, you are either R1a or R1b depending on your SNPs, not STRs.

W. (Mr.)
          Last edited by dna; 18 February 2015, 02:49 PM.

Comment

I'm an Admin for the R1b-L176.2 Project. Are you a member? If so please let me know your kit number and I'll investigate. If not please join!

Comment

Working...
            X