Dumb-er-er

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb-er-er

So the Y -12 test comes back and ? England-- England, I'm Italian, My grandfather and grandmother were born Italy, how does that make me English-- here's my gripe I ask a simple question trying to tie my family roots in a neat package and where in Italy they may have come from- sooooo they send me England- Now we are not talking about 10,000 years ,not 1,000 years but 1850's ,160 -170 years ago, what happened to my father,grandfather,g-grandfather, g-g-grandfather, straight line to Italy somewhere in the northern part, England ? want to run that test again because they all spoke Italian , If the test is the wrong one, then why not say so, if you want to find your father's ,grandfather's g-grandfather's, g-g-grandfather's home area then which test is the right test, and if Ancestry can't come up with the answer then refund the money or credit towards the upgrade to find the answer, Just my beef with bureaucratic gobbeldy-gook

If you ordered Y-DNA12 from Family Tree DNA, you can indeed upgrade to more Y-STRs ("markers"). If you wish, you can wait for a discount sale, which comes at least twice a year.

Comment

Y-DNA 12 marker test results would not tell you whether you are Italian or English.

Family Finder might, but people move around. And both tests are more about finding people who have DNA similar to yours, either Y-DNA or autosomal DNA... DNA is not a GPS.

Mr. W.

P.S.
      If you are just looking where your 12 marker matches live (or their ancestors lived), then just above you were given a good advice to upgrade your Y-DNA test, as 12 marker one offers very low resolution.

Comment

My brother tested; mostly English results on his yDNA 12 test which goes back to Northern Italy for hundreds of years. He has tested to 67, and several sub tests, and has done Geno 2.0, none of which makes him any more Italian. He is R-P312, DF99+. So far only a Tuscan in that group with some from Belgium, and other areas. Because our family were recent (100 years ago) emigrants to the US, all the matching guys are still back in Italy in that little mountain village. And they haven't tested. So no matches.
        R. Walker

Comment

Originally posted by R Walker View Post
          My brother tested; mostly English results on his yDNA 12 test which goes back to Northern Italy for hundreds of years. He has tested to 67, and several sub tests, and has done Geno 2.0, none of which makes him any more Italian. He is R-P312, DF99+. So far only a Tuscan in that group with some from Belgium, and other areas. Because our family were recent (100 years ago) emigrants to the US, all the matching guys are still back in Italy in that little mountain village. And they haven't tested. So no matches.
          R. Walker
          Do I understand correctly that your brother has Y-DNA matches at 67 markers?

Mr. W.

Comment

In my experience, the guys in the Italian village are not likely to wake up one day and decide to test their DNA.

We had to go to Hungary and Romania and actively recruit people for our project and pay for the tests too (as none of them could afford to test).

In our case, we had to raise money to test about 280 people, since we were doing a whole community genealogy project. But it sounds like you may only have to test one or two :-)

Beth Long
            Hungarian Bukovina Project

Comment

European villages

We try (and mostly succeeded so far) to test members of our family born in the villages of interest, but it is true that all of them live in cities. Not a single tester lives in a village.

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Working...
              X