Need help with YSearch upload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with YSearch upload

My adopted husband was a part of the Y-dna Batch 590. After many, months of waiting, we rec'd his Y-dna matches, Y-STR values, SNP info with a Haplogroup designation. We were so excited, and immediately created an account with YSearch, uploaded his info, and joined all the appropriate groups.
    Then it all disappeared from the his FTdna account. Poof. Gone. We were confused, but assumed there had been a glitch of some sort, so we were back to waiting for his 'real' results to be posted.

Finally, we rec'd a new post with matches, new SNP info, new Y-STR Values, and a whole new Haplogroup. Ok...so I realized his info at Ysearch was not correct, and logged in and deleted the info, and attempted to upload the NEW info.

My attempt failed, with various messages: "500 Internal Server Error" and the like. I'm sure this has something to do with receiving the first info incorrectly and me creating an account, then deleting it in order to upload the NEW (and hopefully accurate) info. However, I am at a loss as to how to accomplish the goal of simply uploading the new data. I don't know who to ask, so I'm asking here.

We're so happy to have this info, because it looks as though this was the confirmation we needed to ID his bio-father...but it's been a very frustrating journey. He has half-siblings out there, and we need to get uploaded to the Y-search site in order to move forward.

Can someone help direct me to someone who can help? It would be most appreciated. If I've posted this in the wrong area...sorry...it seemed the best place to post.

Thank you

Originally posted by chris_tee View Post
    My adopted husband was a part of the Y-dna Batch 590. After many, months of waiting, we rec'd his Y-dna matches, Y-STR values, SNP info with a Haplogroup designation. We were so excited, and immediately created an account with YSearch, uploaded his info, and joined all the appropriate groups.
    Then it all disappeared from the his FTdna account. Poof. Gone. We were confused, but assumed there had been a glitch of some sort, so we were back to waiting for his 'real' results to be posted.

Finally, we rec'd a new post with matches, new SNP info, new Y-STR Values, and a whole new Haplogroup. Ok...so I realized his info at Ysearch was not correct, and logged in and deleted the info, and attempted to upload the NEW info.

My attempt failed, with various messages: "500 Internal Server Error" and the like. I'm sure this has something to do with receiving the first info incorrectly and me creating an account, then deleting it in order to upload the NEW (and hopefully accurate) info. However, I am at a loss as to how to accomplish the goal of simply uploading the new data. I don't know who to ask, so I'm asking here.

We're so happy to have this info, because it looks as though this was the confirmation we needed to ID his bio-father...but it's been a very frustrating journey. He has half-siblings out there, and we need to get uploaded to the Y-search site in order to move forward.

Can someone help direct me to someone who can help? It would be most appreciated. If I've posted this in the wrong area...sorry...it seemed the best place to post.

Thank you
    You can go to ysearch and click on "Create a New User", Then add all your markers and add whatever info you want to.

Comment

Tried that

Thank you for your response. I tried that and am still getting the Internal Error message. I'm going to try to create a new account using a different computer and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for trying to help.

Comment

I'm sure this has something to do with receiving the first info incorrectly and me creating an account, then deleting it in order to upload the NEW (and hopefully accurate) info.
        At this point, the safest method is to create a new Ysearch account manually, and populate it with marker values manually. FTDNA's semi-automatic method is perhaps getting confused, and I suggest you don't hold your breath waiting for a software fix. Ysearch is essentially unsupported at this point.

Comment

Thank you for your response. I tried that and am still getting the Internal Error message. I'm going to try to create a new account using a different computer and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for trying to help.
          I forgot to say that you have to add the markers manually. Forget about uploading them from FTDNA. I have no problem with it.

Comment

Thanks

I will do as you suggest. Appreciate the help.

Comment

How did this go? I'm having the same issue and getting the same error, even with manual entry.

Comment

Originally posted by larzus View Post
                How did this go? I'm having the same issue and getting the same error, even with manual entry.
                I tried today and it wouldn't work for me either.There is a problem with it.

Comment

gedcom

I get the same error, but it seems to occur when one tries to upload a gedcom file.

Comment

Hello,

Ysearch.org has had little to no maintenance for a long time now. There is no way currently to upload a gedcom to that site without getting the error. The engineering team is aware of it but I have no time frame as to when this may (or ever) get corrected. I am sorry for this.

-Darren
                    Family Tree DNA

Comment

All 500 all the time

"Bump"

We just got my husband's results back, they are surprising, and we are eager to hook up to ysearch. No luck - always a 500 error.

Comment

Originally posted by genesRus View Post
                        "Bump"

We just got my husband's results back, they are surprising, and we are eager to hook up to ysearch. No luck - always a 500 error.
                        Try "Create a new user" and enter your markers.

Comment

Fix it or kill it

Darren,

Thanks for your response. It's good to get something semi-official on the subject. If I may vent for a second, I believe that my opinion is consistent with many users...

If FTDNA/Gene by Gene isn't going to support Ysearch, then they should kill it. It at the very least stop promoting it. I've been a member here for several years, but hadn't had my Y-DNA tested until recently. Once I finally got my test results back (that's a whole OTHER customer service nightmare), I also started to see promotions that said something to the effect of, "now that you have your results, upload them to Ysearch to get great new tools." I don't remember the exact wording, but I remember that I got the sense that it was a NEW tool, fully supported and part of an effort by FTDNA to give its users an additional matching option.

Imagine my surprise to find - after trying to upload my GEDCOM multiple times over multiple days - that not only is it not supported, but that it is being allowed to languish with no support.

This is yet another case of setting expectations when FTDNA fully knows that they won't deliver on them. I believe I'm starting to see efforts at better communication and support (yesterday's April Fools Day announcement may not have been the best example of how to roll out an "improvement"), but this particular issue is just crazy.

My best recommendation is that you spin it off. It has the potential to be a good tool. Set it free, or kill it - don't let it die a slow death of starvation.

Comment

Believe me I hear you. I agree something should be done with Ysearch. I will pass along your sentiments to the management team, as I have done on this topic (including mitosearch as well) and will continue to do so. I appreciate your willingness to provide feedback.

-Darren
                            Family Tree DNA

Comment

Working...
                            X