Email notifications - just wondering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email notifications - just wondering

In a lot of threads people have mentioned email notifications in the following situations:

- Acknowledgement of opening a support ticket
    - New Family Finder matches at varying levels of relationship
    - New MtDNA matches
    - New Y-DNA matches
    - 'Name' has added you to their family tree
    - Kit received

There are probably more.

I don't receive these and my settings on all kits are set to 'yes' at all levels. I have placed eight support tickets now. I do receive the eventual response from the support team when the issue is resolved and that's what is important so I'm not complaining, but I have never received an acknowledgement of the initial ticket.

Two days ago my father's kit came in and yes, he is indeed my father. But I received no notification of a close relative, nor did my son who is his grandson. Nor did we when my mother's kit was completed. Nor do I when a kit is received by FtDNA, I find out by logging in and seeing what it says.

Yesterday, I received an interesting email telling me 'has added you to their family tree. To view 's tree etc etc, with a link which took me to my own tree. Clearly the email had space for a name which was not inserted.

This morning (22nd Jan), I received two notifications about 12 hours apart telling me I had a new MtDNA HVR1 match. When I checked, the most recent match was on 6th January. Maybe the person made them private? Were the notifications for the same one?

Today, I read a thread on the Project Manager's forum where a manager referred to sending out a bulk email and it apparently only reaching half the recipients. The quite logical assumption was that the others had dodgy emails.

I've checked my spam and my email account seems fine. I receive emails from my matches - I assume I am getting them all, and I receive the emails from FtDNA when an issue is resolved.

Across my kits - same email - I am involved with twelve projects but I have never received a project email. Is it likely that they are being sent and are simply not being received? I guess I need to ask each project manager.

I am curious about this, and whether it is a general problem or something to do with my account. I use a gmail address and I thought they avoided the spam issues that some have. Am I missing important stuff here? Is it just me or is it most people?

Which email provider are you with? Some of my accounts are on an yahoo email and I don't get the bulk emails there.
    I think they have mentioned problems with another mail server - it considers all bulk emails spam and stops them.
    Getting false emails is already a problem with FTDNA.

Comment

I have a gmail.com email. It doesn't have problems with anything else. It seems to me that the issue is with FtDNA's automatic emails since personal ones reach me. The problem does look like a spam one, but I have spam set to go into a separate folder so I can check it all personally and FtDNA emails don't go there. I get quite enough personal loan offers from Nigerian Princes, I don't see why they would get into my spam folder and not FtDNA notifications.
      Last edited by larzus; 23 January 2015, 06:16 AM. Reason: grammatical error

Comment

Originally posted by larzus View Post
        I am curious about this, and whether it is a general problem or something to do with my account. I use a gmail address and I thought they avoided the spam issues that some have. Am I missing important stuff here? Is it just me or is it most people?
        It's not just you. The delivery of email notifications has always been seemingly random here.

In my case, I got notification of mtDNA matches, but nothing else, even though I opted in to notifications for everything.

They recently updated their outgoing mail server, supposedly, and a couple of times after that I got a Family Finder notification, then those just stopped coming in again.

I suggest you just get used to logging in periodically to see if you have any new matches.

Comment

Working...
        X