No announcement yet.

23&me starts cooperation with My Heritage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's always human nature to hope that, in hindsight, our choices will prove to have been the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarmat View Post
      Yeah, maybe I'm just having trouble forming an emotional attachment to a consumer service.
      There are a lot of people loyal to certain brand of car, guitar, beer, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by loobster View Post
        I just got the possibly corresponding e-mail from MyHeritage saying

"We're excited to tell you about a new opportunity to learn more about your ancestors and discover unknown relatives, made possible by our new partner, 23andMe, the leading DNA ancestry service in the world with over 800,000 genotyped members.

MyHeritage teamed up with 23andMe to offer you their personalized DNA kit, which allows you to be matched with other genotyped members in 23andMe's database, so you can find DNA relatives across continents or across the street. From just a small sample of your saliva, you will receive a personalized analysis of your DNA that will give you information about your lineage going back 10,000 years and reveal the populations from around the world that form your ethnic origins."

--- does this mean they have dumped FamilyTreeDNA, with which they had been offering DNA tests? Will Geni, which is owned by MyHeritage, also now change? -- And is this going to negatively impact FamilyTreeDNA?

Was definitely sorry to see them touting 23andMe as "the leading DNA ancestry service in the world" -- I want that to be us!!
        23andMe could give a hoot about genealogy and those researching it. They have been and always will be more involved in the disease and trait identification business and are more than glad to use your DNA to their end means. If you haven't read the 23andMe 2015 Goals statement put out then I suggest you do and you will see exactly where their allegiance lies.

Ancestry is nice and could corner the market if they would add some features i.e. Chromosome browser. They have the dollars and the marketing to potentially put a big squeeze on both FTDNA and 23andMe. Their big drawback is the reliance on the public tree information in their database which may or may not be accurate. So without a chromosome/segment comparison tool there may be a whole lot of digging to mine any small nuggets out of the matches.

I truly like FTDNA and what they offer, if they would only get the customer support side fixed and communicate a little better.

Comment

Originally posted by David Guetta View Post
          There are a lot of people loyal to certain brand of car, guitar, beer, etc.
          Sure, but this is a bit different. In this case we're talking about a service that provides data in furtherance of the hobby or activity of genetic genealogy/personal genomics.

Instead of forming a cult around one particular provider, one would be better served by taking advantage of multiple providers to obtain the maximum amount of information and to confirm the accuracy of the data received.

In other words, if you can afford it, there's no good reason to only order DNA tests from FTDNA. One could also test at 23andme, Ancestry.com, or elswhere in order to get the most information and additional verification of FTDNA's results.

Comment

Sarmat, There's a slight difference between "forming a cult" and hoping that the place you do business becomes the best that they can be ...

Comment

Originally posted by Dna-donut View Post
              23andMe could give a hoot about genealogy and those researching it. They have been and always will be more involved in the disease and trait identification business and are more than glad to use your DNA to their end means. If you haven't read the 23andMe 2015 Goals statement put out then I suggest you do and you will see exactly where their allegiance lies.
              I very much agree with this. Genealogy is an afterthought at 23andme, and with their current issues with the FDA, one gets a lot less from 23andme than when they were delivering health results, which are now available in Canada and coming soon to the UK, but are not currently available in the Land of the Free.

Still, I think that even with all that, 23andme is the best introductory test on the market for those just starting out with this hobby.

The real strength of 23andme, in my opinion, is in the breadth of the provided data for a relatively low price point. For $99 bucks you get what would cost $337 here at FTDNA. That, plus the number of third party tools that accept 23andme raw data, the strength of 23andme tools like Family Inheritance Advanced, and the superiority of Ancestry Composition compared to MyOrigins (especially for those with phased parental results), just makes it a much better deal for those looking to get the most for their dollar.

If you have concerns about their use of your data, you can always opt out of consent to utilize your data for research. It's in the settings.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeP View Post
                Sarmat, There's a slight difference between "forming a cult" and hoping that the place you do business becomes the best that they can be ...
                Believe me, I hope FTDNA becomes the best they can be, but unless they give me a job, I'm not going to to think of them and me as "us".

Comment

Believe me, I hope FTDNA becomes the best they can be, but unless they give me a job, I'm not going to to think of them and me as "us".
                  MikeP's point was well-taken. It's over the top to label someone as in "a cult" around testing at FTDNA if they profess the hope that FTDNA will improve and continue to get new customers.

Most who've tested at FTDNA would certainly like to have them around as an option for testing. And for at least now, they're the main place for advanced yDNA testing. Recognizing that fact hardly means that I or anybody else is in a "cult."

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
                    MikeP's point was well-taken. It's over the top to label someone as in "a cult" around testing at FTDNA if they profess the hope that FTDNA will improve and continue to get new customers.

Most who've tested at FTDNA would certainly like to have them around as an option for testing. And for at least now, they're the main place for advanced yDNA testing. Recognizing that fact hardly means that I or anybody else is in a "cult."
                    Oh, lighten up. If it makes people happy to keep thinking of some company with whom they sometimes do business as "us", then by all means they should go right ahead. To me it still sounds a bit like Y-STR test Stockholm Syndrome, but whatever...

Once again, I want FTDNA to do well and grow and get even better at what they do, but I don't want them to be the only game in town. That's not in my best interests as a consumer, nor is it in my interests as a genetic genealogist.

Comment

Oh, lighten up. If it makes people happy to keep thinking of some company with whom they sometimes do business as "us", then by all means they should go right ahead. To me it still sounds a bit like Y-STR test Stockholm Syndrome, but whatever...

Once again, I want FTDNA to do well and grow and get even better at what they do, but I don't want them to be the only game in town. That's not in my best interests as a consumer, nor is it in my interests as a genetic genealogist.
                      My problem with your use of the word "cult" to describe anyone who isn't ready to bash FTDNA at the drop of a hat is that you're insulting the customer, not the company.

I do recognize that FTDNA has a lot of improving to do in communicating with its customers and in improving its estimates of testing time and actual delivery of results. However, I just don't see any purpose in being fixated on the problems and making dozens of posts here about that.

I've been involved in genetic genealogy since 2005 and one thing I've learned is that obsessing about when the results arrive doesn't make them arrive any earlier. I'm administrator of two projects, one with 2,000 members and the other with about 900. If I spent my time monitoring the expected dates of all the members' test results, I'd have no time to live my life. I've learned that patience is necessary.

If that makes me a member of a "cult" in your view, then my answer is that maybe you need to consult a dictionary before you post!

Comment

Maybe you should.

cult
                        [kəlt]
                        noun
                        1. a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.

2. a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.

3. a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing.
                        That, to me, could very well describe someone who self-identifies with a commercial service provider to the point that they refer to that company as "us".

Anyway, I know who you are, and that you are also a customer of 23andme and probably other personal genomics services as well, so surely you should be able to appreciate my point of view regarding the value of competition in the market and of obtaining data from multiple sources to verify and edify.

That's all I was speaking to in my post. You obviously have problems with the fact that I've been vocal elsewhere about FTDNA's need to improve certain business practices, but that doesn't give you good reason to dismiss everything I have to say.

Maybe that type of knee-jerk reaction exemplifies even more of a cult-like mentality than I had (lightheartedly) intended.

Comment

Maybe you should.

That, to me, could very well describe someone who self-identifies with a commercial service provider to the point that they refer to that company as "us".

Anyway, I know who you are, and that you are also a customer of 23andme and probably other personal genomics services as well, so surely you should be able to appreciate my point of view regarding the value of competition in the market and of obtaining data from multiple sources to verify and edify.

That's all I was speaking to in my post. You obviously have problems with the fact that I've been vocal elsewhere about FTDNA's need to improve certain business practices, but that doesn't give you good reason to dismiss everything I have to say.

Maybe that type of knee-jerk reaction exemplifies even more of a cult-like mentality than I had (lightheartedly) intended.
                          "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

I dismissed everything you had to say? I don't think so. I agreed that FTDNA has a poor record of customer communication and delays in many (not all) test results. So, I agree with you about that.

I was objecting to the very negative way ("cult") you characterize anyone who might not be willing to bash FTDNA at every opportunity they get. It seems like you have a vendetta against them.

I'm not minimizing the problems you've had with delayed tests and poor communication from FTDNA's customer support about the testing process. But frankly when I see Sarmat as the name of the poster, I think to myself "Here comes more complaining." I really can't remember when you've discussed a result you've gotten - either to ask a question about it or point out something interesting in your results.

I almost wonder whether you're here to find fault, instead of learning something from your results. If you do ever have any question about your yDNA results, don't hesitate to ask me. I may be able to answer your question.

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
                            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."
                            I'd certainly say so.

I was objecting to the very negative way ("cult") you characterize anyone who might not be willing to bash FTDNA at every opportunity they get. It seems like you have a vendetta against them.
                            And here's an example of it. See, you mischaracterized what I said in that post because I have been vocal in other posts about my problems with FTDNA's services. All I did in that post was question whether we should self-identify with a commercial service provider. I'd ask the same thing of a customer who referred to 23andme or Ancestry.com or anyone else like that as "us".

Of course, I'd ask the same thing of a fan who described the Dallas Cowboys or New York Yankees as "us", so maybe I just have trouble grasping that mindset.

Anyway, you may not realize this, but I absolutely hate the fact that I have come to epitomize 'The Disgruntled Customer' here. And believe me, I have enough self-awareness to have realized that long before you pointed it out. But the fact is that I firmly believe that unless FTDNA is made to understand the extent of customer dissatisfaction, they will have no impetus to improve, and the best way to get them to see it is through public airing of grievances (after attempts at one-on-one resolution have failed). I am clearly not the only one who is dissatisfied, and we have every right to make that known.

As far as your other remarks, you're right that I don't often post about my results here, but that's mainly because I don't find much discussion of results here that relates to me. I utilize other forums and resources for that, while this one serves mainly as a customer feedback mechanism.

Thanks for the offer of help. We've actually engaged in discussion at 23andme before, and perhaps even elsewhere as well, and I do recognize your experience and knowledge. Please know that I have more to offer, too, than just complaints. I just usually do so elsewhere.

Comment

Hello all,

I am not certain what this thread is dissolving to but let's please keep it on the subject of genetic genealogy.

-Darren Marin
                              Family Tree DNA

Comment

Working...
                              X