23&me starts cooperation with My Heritage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 23&me starts cooperation with My Heritage

Today I got a mail from 23&me announcing that they soon start a cooperation with My Heritage for offering an easy tool to make and compare family trees.

I am happy for all 23&me customers, because I like the tool of My Heritage. If I had known this before the FTDNA X-mas sale, I would not have ordered 2 new kits with FTDNA...

And I really wonder, why FTDNA did not watch out for such a clever solution instead of having implemented such a complicated tree tool as they offer us?

Did their marketing department sleep??? Incredible!
    Last edited by Petra; 16 January 2015, 07:50 AM. Reason: bad translation

I think part of FtDNA's marketing strategy is the avoidance of yearly subscriptions. I expect that's why they designed their own trees rather than throw in with a large subscription company.

The strategy works. I am not a fan of subscription sites at all. I like the fact that you pay once here and what you've got will always be accessible to you - despite their other problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
      Today I got a mail from 23&me announcing that they soon start a cooperation with My Heritage for offering an easy tool to make and compare family trees.

I am happy for all 23&me customers, because I like the tool of My Heritage. If I had known this before the FTDNA X-mas sale, I would not have ordered 2 new kits with FTDNA...

And I really wonder, why FTDNA did not watch out for such a clever solution instead of having implemented such a complicated tree tool as they offer us?

Did their marketing department sleep??? Incredible!
      Read the fine print in the bottom of the email. The free service will be limited to 250 Nodes(entries) otherwise you will need a subscription.

I have three kits at 23nMe and unless you are sharing genomes with your matches (very few do) you can't see much or compare segments.

For the price it served what I needed at that time. But I wouldn't send another kit to them.

Lastly their kit now only checks for about 500,000 SNPs so it's not compatible with FTDNA in the event you would ever want to transfer.

For autosomal testing I still think FTDNA is the place with Ancestry 2nd but I am really getting worried about them if they don't buck up and get on the ball with their Y testing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dna-donut View Post
        Read the fine print in the bottom of the email. The free service will be limited to 250 Nodes(entries) otherwise you will need a subscription.

I have three kits at 23nMe and unless you are sharing genomes with your matches (very few do) you can't see much or compare segments.

For the price it served what I needed at that time. But I wouldn't send another kit to them.

Lastly their kit now only checks for about 500,000 SNPs so it's not compatible with FTDNA in the event you would ever want to transfer.

For autosomal testing I still think FTDNA is the place with Ancestry 2nd but I am really getting worried about them if they don't buck up and get on the ball with their Y testing.
        Thank you for this information! I really did not see the "haken" on their offer. So my grumbles have gone... ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by larzus View Post
          I think part of FtDNA's marketing strategy is the avoidance of yearly subscriptions. I expect that's why they designed their own trees rather than throw in with a large subscription company.

The strategy works. I am not a fan of subscription sites at all. I like the fact that you pay once here and what you've got will always be accessible to you - despite their other problems.
          That´s true! Because I did not see, that their offer is limited to subcriptions, FTDNA indeed choosed the better Option. Thank you for your hint.

Comment

Originally posted by Dna-donut View Post

Really take a look at the fine print. I just transferred my small tree from my 23andme kit and while it allows up to 250 people in your tree for free that is about all you get. While you may search other trees on the site, you can not look at the results of your search unless you pay. You cannot use alot of the matching or history searching features unless you pay. You basically are loading your family tree to myheritage to give them your information and work for free.

In my opinion this is a huge step backwards for 23andme as far as their ancestry service goes.

Gerald

Comment

MyHeritage and Ancestry are pretty much the same with this.

I actually have a tree on MyHeritage and I have a subscription, because MyHeritage has a much better family tree database for Australians. But I am aware that in a financially tight year I will lose access to the lot, so I keep TMG as my main tree, offline. MyHeritage's FTB is a very nice, easy family tree to use, but when you are free you get constant prompts as to what you could get if you subscribe, which I found rather invasive and prevented immersion in my research.

I make full use of the FtDNA tree, and I work on identifying MRCAs first where my matches also have trees here, because I can open a few in different tabs and flick between to find connection points. There are kinks, yes, but they are being improved all the time.

Comment

larzus, Keep in mind you can have an unlimited FREE tree on Ancestry, so you could export your tree from MyHeritage into Ancestry and not lose access.

Comment

I just got the possibly corresponding e-mail from MyHeritage saying

"We're excited to tell you about a new opportunity to learn more about your ancestors and discover unknown relatives, made possible by our new partner, 23andMe, the leading DNA ancestry service in the world with over 800,000 genotyped members.

MyHeritage teamed up with 23andMe to offer you their personalized DNA kit, which allows you to be matched with other genotyped members in 23andMe's database, so you can find DNA relatives across continents or across the street. From just a small sample of your saliva, you will receive a personalized analysis of your DNA that will give you information about your lineage going back 10,000 years and reveal the populations from around the world that form your ethnic origins."

--- does this mean they have dumped FamilyTreeDNA, with which they had been offering DNA tests? Will Geni, which is owned by MyHeritage, also now change? -- And is this going to negatively impact FamilyTreeDNA?

Was definitely sorry to see them touting 23andMe as "the leading DNA ancestry service in the world" -- I want that to be us!!

Comment

Believe they still offer paternal and maternal tests, just dropped family finder.

Comment

I estimate that Family Tree DNA has an order of magnitude, if not better, coverage outside of the US! And imagine that most people from the US, or those who are testing here, descend from immigrants

W.

Comment

Originally posted by loobster View Post
                        Was definitely sorry to see them touting 23andMe as "the leading DNA ancestry service in the world" -- I want that to be us!!
                        Do you work for FTDNA?

Otherwise, I don't see that there is an "us" in the sense you use above. Lots of us here are customers of multiple DNA testing services.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarmat View Post
                          Do you work for FTDNA?

Otherwise, I don't see that there is an "us" in the sense you use above. Lots of us here are customers of multiple DNA testing services.
                          You're right. Competition is a good thing. The less competition FTDNA has, the less services they need to offer to attract customers. Actually, there really isn't enough competition in this area as it is. Otherwise, we wouldn't have to be waiting for months for test results without even a pretense of giving an explanation, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarmat View Post
                            Do you work for FTDNA?

That was in response to my comment -- "Was definitely sorry to see them touting 23andMe as "the leading DNA ancestry service in the world" -- I want that to be us!!" ----

This is a FamilyTreeDNA Forum, so I assumed anyone reading the comment would understand "us" to mean FamilyTreeDNA.
                            Last edited by loobster; 21 January 2015, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Yeah, maybe I'm just having trouble forming an emotional attachment to a consumer service.

Comment

Working...
                              X