Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Family Finder Raw Data Downloads - file name change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Finder Raw Data Downloads - file name change?

In recent months, I've noticed a change in the file names of Family Finder raw data downloads (for Build 36 and 37, autosomal and X chromosome). I manage several kits; 10 so far, with 1 more in process. I try to download the raw data for each as soon as I can, and file in the appropriate folder.

With kits I administer completed up until last March, the files were all named in this way (XXXXXX represents an account number):
    XXXXXX-autosomal-o36-results.csv
    XXXXXX-autosomal-o37-results.csv
    XXXXXX-x-chromosome-o36-results.csv
    XXXXXX-x-chromosome-o37-results.csv
    Easy to see to which account the files belonged, the Build number, and whether they were for autosomal or X chromosome.

Starting with the next kit I had done, completed in late November, the file names changed to this type:
    ffo-aaaaaaaa-bbbb-cccc-dddd-xxxxxxxxxxxx.csv
    ffo37-aaaaaaaa-bbbb-cccc-dddd-xxxxxxxxxxxx.csv
    xo-aaaaaaaa-bbbb-cccc-dddd-xxxxxxxxxxxxx.csv
    xo37-aaaaaaaa-bbbb-cccc-dddd-xxxxxxxxxxxxx.csv

In the second example, the a, b, c, d and x groups represent the same alpha-numeric groups in each file, but none have the account number.

Why was this change made? With the original naming, it was easy to tell what was what; now, it's more like gobbledy-gook. Yes, I can tell which are Build 37 files, and by elimination the others must be Build 36; the ones starting with "x" are the X chromosome files, so the others must be the autosomal.

Overall, though, it seems to have made the files harder to identify at a glance, breaking the "K.I.S.S." (Keep It Simple, Stupid) principle. Has anyone else noticed this, and if so, does anyone else care? I have two kits so far with files named this new way, and I guess my pending FF kit's raw data files will download the same way.

Yes, I can re-name the files, and do so. But why should I have to? It wasn't broken, so why was it "fixed?"

Privacy and/or security ?

W.

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
      Privacy and/or security ?

W.
      Well, you are within your account (or one you are managing) when you download the files, so I'm not sure about a privacy issue there.
      Are you saying it's to prevent disclosing information if the file somehow goes astray during download? Can that happen?

I'd bet a nickel that it's just a change made without thinking it through. Guess I will email the help desk, get in the queue and wait, see if there's some answer.

Comment

Originally posted by KATM View Post
        Well, you are within your account (or one you are managing) when you download the files, so I'm not sure about a privacy issue there.
        Are you saying it's to prevent disclosing information if the file somehow goes astray during download? Can that happen?

I'd bet a nickel that it's just a change made without thinking it through. Guess I will email the help desk, get in the queue and wait, see if there's some answer.
        I think that some SNPs have been removed from the original FF results. Perhaps they are health related ones etc.

Comment

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
          I think that some SNPs have been removed from the original FF results. Perhaps they are health related ones etc.
          I do not think so. At least in my project, contents of files did not change after their names were changed.

W.
          Last edited by dna; 13 January 2015, 03:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KATM View Post

Before you phone or e-mail you may want to take a look at the thread http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=36028 Yet another "fix" not needed! and possibly also at the thread http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=35893 can't download raw data.

W.

Comment

I do not think so. At least in my project, contents of files did not change after their names were changed.

W.
              I posted this SNP rs11584700 GG on the 6th March 2014 along with other SNPs from my FF result and I can't find it now in my raw data.

Comment

Before you phone or e-mail you may want to take a look at the thread http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=36028 Yet another "fix" not needed! and possibly also at the thread http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=35893 can't download raw data.

W.
                Thanks, dna! The original poster on that first link did say (more concisely) exactly what my original post in this thread complained about. At the time of that other thread, I had not encountered the changed file names.

efgen responded in that thread that IT was aware of it, it was on their list, but she had no date for a fix. That was on Oct. 18, 2014, so we're approaching 4 months. Must be a long "fix" list!

Comment

I downloaded my dad's FF results two nights ago. His test was completed January 7, 2015. I noticed both the autosomal and X files, Build 36, had his kit number in them.

Comment

Originally posted by andreastill.gen View Post
                    I downloaded my dad's FF results two nights ago. His test was completed January 7, 2015. I noticed both the autosomal and X files, Build 36, had his kit number in them.
                    Thanks for posting that. I had meant to re-download the files since I first posted, and just did so. They have all changed names back to the easily understandable original way. I should have tried that before griping about it, so my apologies to all.

Also, I meant to say "3 months" in my last post, vs. the "4 months" that I wrote. Fingers and brain were not communicating well. Anyway, apparently overtaken by events now!

Comment

Working...
                    X