yDNA upgrade results in 3 days.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crhfish View Post
    I understand its only a prediction, but being in r-m269 I was hoping for a little refinement so I could start testing for SNP's. Right now I have no matches of any type with my surname. I have five exact matches all with another surname. But this is only on 12 markers I think. I don't think its looking at 61-67.

I'm in batch 593 for the Y-67 test. My results so far may indicate what is cleverly called a NPE, non paternal event. So you can see I'm a little bit anxious to get the complete results to see if I match these five across the 67 markers.
    NPE is only one of many possibilities. In genealogy research, some refer to it as an easy way out (i.e. otherwise one still has to keep going through the paper trail). Changing one's last name when joining the French Foreign Legion, taking wife's last name after the marriage, and selecting a new name when starting a new life are some of the modern situations that have direct correspondence with name changes in the past.

Take a look at the column Terminal SNP of the five exact matches you have. If those testers have tested their terminal SNP, that might tell you something about what you might expect. However, let me share with you terminal SNPs one of my project members can see in his matches. He is predicted R-M269, and he can see in his 12 marker matches the following confirmed terminal SNPs: DF21, L2, L21, L48, L226, L257, M269, P25, P312, U106, U152, U198, Z1, Z2, Z7, Z8, Z9, Z11, Z12, Z22, Z28, Z31, Z36, Z306, Z307, Z343, Z344, Z372, Z381. He had just ordered Big Y. It is interesting to see that P25 is above M269.

W.

Comment

Of the Five that I match at the 12 marker, 3 apparently have had terminal SNP tests. All Three are CTS9881. On the Haplogroup origins page I have 2 exact matches with CTS9881, thats all the exact matches I have on that page. Of the 50 or so matches I have there at a -1 distance, 20 are CTS9881. I'm thinking thats a good place to start.

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
        NPE is only one of many possibilities. In genealogy research, some refer to it as an easy way out (i.e. otherwise one still has to keep going through the paper trail). Changing one's last name when joining the French Foreign Legion, taking wife's last name after the marriage, and selecting a new name when starting a new life are some of the modern situations that have direct correspondence with name changes in the past.

W.
        Also, such things as African and Native ethnicities in America can present a problem with surnames. For instance a child of mixed ethnicity from back in the 1600 - 1800 time period could have had a grandparent fathered by a white man but that grandparent did not take the surname. As in African and Native communities (slave and otherwise) the people went by first names only.

Then go forward two or three generations and the grandchild doesn't really know who his true g-grandfather was so he simply chooses a surname.

Comment

I appreciate the responses. Its to long to go into here, but my GG-Grandfather never told anyone who his parents were. I have some ideas based on things I have found and results of general research and I was hoping to confirm or rule out some of those ideas with the y-dna. I have him in a census at the age of 16, but he's already working as a laborer and living with another family.

I have already built a tree for the other folks I match with that have a different surname. I know how they are related and where they lived over time. Our family's have been close at a few points, close enough for a NPE? perhaps.

I'm sorry to have hijacked this post, but the responses have helped me.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenn4ever View Post
            Are you sure? When I saw your post I decided to check one of my cousin's accounts who I upgraded on Dec 30 from Y37 to Y111. It says the test was completed on 1/2 but it's not completed. There is nothing there but the Y37 results and no Y111 is not on the drop down menu on the matches page.

There's something messed up Guess I'm going to have to call tomorrow which I dread to do with all the waiting and not being able to get through and then getting the run around after getting through. I think FT has some serious programming problems.
            Okay, so I sent them a message last night asking how I could have results in three days, gave them the batch date 1/1 and the results completed date of 1/2 . Also, noted in my message that there were no results listed.

My response from them this morning was a canned message that they apologized for the delay in my results and gave me the rhetoric about having to change products etc

That response did not even apply to my message. I was not complaining or asking about a delay in my results.

Comment

It would be comical if it weren't so...

wrong.

Comment

I received another response this morning. I received the response "that was more than likely sent via our laboratory's automated messaging system in error." That response makes much more sense.

I also asked about my MyOrigins not showing my 'shared ancestry'. It showed when MyOrigins first began but for the last few months it's been blank. They are sending it on to their IT dept. Hopefully, it will be addressed.

Comment

Working...
                X