yDNA upgrade results in 3 days.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yDNA upgrade results in 3 days.

I had a new member order an upgrade from 37 to 67.
    Ordered on the 7 Jan.
    His results came back 9 Jan. Less than 3 days.
    Fantastic work FTDNA.

Not a grumble, but appreciation for great work....

Originally posted by rivergirl View Post
    Ordered on the 7 Jan.
    Fantastic work FTDNA.

What?

I like the idea very much, but...

So he ordered on Wednesday, got batched immediately, got to the lab on Thursday and on Friday he had the results?

W.

Comment

No Way

Originally posted by dna View Post
      What?

I like the idea very much, but...

So he ordered on Wednesday, got batched immediately, got to the lab on Thursday and on Friday he had the results?

W.
      Are you kidding us? That would be incredibly fast!

Comment

I had that happen as well, but there was a reason for it other than speedy lab work. I had ordered a single ySTR marker test for DYS533 a few years ago, which is one of the markers from the 111 marker test. In December, I ordered the whole 111 marker upgrade. Within a couple of days, the results for panel 76 - 85 showed up. I was shocked to get one of the panels back so fast. When I looked a little closer, however, I realized that DYS533 is a part of the 76 - 85 panel and that they had probably run the whole panel when I tested for the one marker, but only posted results for the one marker. When I ordered the full y111 marker upgrade in December, they went ahead and posted the results for the other markers from that panel. My other y 111 panels haven't showed up yet.

Did your member get full results for their upgrade, in other words, for all the panels?
        Last edited by ekc123; 11 January 2015, 12:12 PM. Reason: clarity issue

Comment

Originally posted by rivergirl View Post
          Ordered on the 7 Jan.
          Fantastic work FTDNA.

Are you sure? When I saw your post I decided to check one of my cousin's accounts who I upgraded on Dec 30 from Y37 to Y111. It says the test was completed on 1/2 but it's not completed. There is nothing there but the Y37 results and no Y111 is not on the drop down menu on the matches page.

There's something messed up Guess I'm going to have to call tomorrow which I dread to do with all the waiting and not being able to get through and then getting the run around after getting through. I think FT has some serious programming problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenn4ever View Post
            Are you sure? When I saw your post I decided to check one of my cousin's accounts who I upgraded on Dec 30 from Y37 to Y111. It says the test was completed on 1/2 but it's not completed. There is nothing there but the Y37 results and no Y111 is not on the drop down menu on the matches page.

There's something messed up Guess I'm going to have to call tomorrow which I dread to do with all the waiting and not being able to get through and then getting the run around after getting through. I think FT has some serious programming problems.
            I believe you are probably right. I don't think it is possible to sequence the y segments that fast. On the other hand, I learned after ordering the y111 marker upgrade on 12/17 that if you order a test for an individual STR marker, they have to run the whole panel, but they won't display results for the whole panel (until you order an upgrade for that level of testing). That's how I got my results for one of the panels in two days, which showed for panel 76-85 on 12/19. They had already run the panel over a year ago for the DYS533 test. If that did not happen in this case, then it is most likely a computer glitch. Over the years, I've gotten all kinds of weird messages that turned out to be a glitch, which seems to be especially common during the holidays.

Comment

Scenarios posted above by Tenn4ever and ekc123 are most likely explanations...

W.

Comment

Yeah, when I saw the results posted, I thought I was getting my project members mixed up, as we were only discusiing his ordering the 67 upgrade earlier in the week.
                His results 38-67 are on our webpage. When I emailed the project member, even he was surprised.
                I noticed the results yesterday, but my GAP page says they were posted on 9 Jan.
                I did think maybe FTDNA had goofed up and posted someone else results, but they fit the expected haplotype.

https://www.familytreedna.com/public...ction=yresults
                "R1b Group 01a"
                Kit B9986

Here is his order history;

Product Ordered
                Y-DNA67
                6/01/2015
                Y-DNA37
                1/09/2014
                Autosomal DNA Transfer v3
                3/04/2014
                Kit
                3/04/2014

He also has 68 matches at the 67 marker level.
                Earlier this week all he had was 37 marker matches.
                Last edited by rivergirl; 11 January 2015, 06:33 PM.

Comment

For those of us who have been waiting for the same test for over three months this is not a sign of a great job by FTDNA. I'm glad somebody is getting results, but to me it just shows how messed up these folks are.

Comment

@crhfish

Originally posted by crhfish View Post
                    For those of us who have been waiting for the same test for over three months this is not a sign of a great job by FTDNA. I'm glad somebody is getting results, but to me it just shows how messed up these folks are.
                    crhfish, FTDNA completed those panels earlier, almost certainly when needing STRs for the user haplogroup prediction. No lab work was done after the upgrade was ordered.

W.

Comment

dna, thanks for the reply. Let me ask a question. I have a haplagroup prediction, r-m269. I only show that panels 1-12 are complete and 61-67. Are you saying that they have run other panels to get my haplogroup prediction but they are not showing up yet. I was under the assumption that further panels might refine my haplogroup prediction. I had assumed that the first 12 panels was responsible for my current prediction.

Comment

dna, thanks for the reply. Let me ask a question. I have a haplagroup prediction, r-m269. I only show that panels 1-12 are complete and 61-67. Are you saying that they have run other panels to get my haplogroup prediction but they are not showing up yet. I was under the assumption that further panels might refine my haplogroup prediction. I had assumed that the first 12 panels was responsible for my current prediction.
                        Hi, Crhfish, Which Y test and batch # are you waiting for? We are waiting for y111 and received about 30 markers over 3 weeks ago but they have not predicted a haplogroup yet.

Comment

dna, thanks for the reply. Let me ask a question. I have a haplogroup prediction, r-m269. I only show that panels 1-12 are complete and 61-67. Are you saying that they have run other panels to get my haplogroup prediction but they are not showing up yet. I was under the assumption that further panels might refine my haplogroup prediction. I had assumed that the first 12 panels was responsible for my current prediction.
                          Yes, it might change, but in reality it is only a prediction. No SNP test is done, unless paid for.

W.

P.S. My project members started doing Big Y not to learn about their terminal SNP, but to learn about relationships between family branches. Obtained terminal SNP will be a byproduct.

Comment

I understand its only a prediction, but being in r-m269 I was hoping for a little refinement so I could start testing for SNP's. Right now I have no matches of any type with my surname. I have five exact matches all with another surname. But this is only on 12 markers I think. I don't think its looking at 61-67.

I'm in batch 593 for the Y-67 test. My results so far may indicate what is cleverly called a NPE, non paternal event. So you can see I'm a little bit anxious to get the complete results to see if I match these five across the 67 markers.

Comment

I understand its only a prediction, but being in r-m269 I was hoping for a little refinement so I could start testing for SNP's. Right now I have no matches of any type with my surname. I have five exact matches all with another surname. But this is only on 12 markers I think. I don't think its looking at 61-67.

I'm in batch 593 for the Y-67 test. My results so far may indicate what is cleverly called a NPE, non paternal event. So you can see I'm a little bit anxious to get the complete results to see if I match these five across the 67 markers.
                              We are in batch 593 too.

Comment

Working...
                              X