For those awaiting Y results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by larzus View Post
    Not wanting to rub salt in anyone's wounds, but for the sake of getting an overall picture, my son's Y-67 results from Batch 599 came in about six hours ago. The revised predicted completion date was 11th Feb to 25th Feb so it has come in just a few days before that. It was batched 4th Dec.
    I am glad you got your results.

Comment

• Hello all,

I hear your frustration. While the lab is retesting results you will continue to see other people get results before you. The DNA testing does take time and there are always the chances for additional test failures. I continually report your feedback to management so they are aware as well.

I forwarded your email to Michelle who had more intimate knowledge regarding your retesting at the lab.
      -Darren
      Family Tree DNA

Comment

• Frustrated?

Originally posted by Darren View Post
        Hello all,

I hear your frustration. While the lab is retesting results you will continue to see other people get results before you. The DNA testing does take time and there are always the chances for additional test failures. I continually report your feedback to management so they are aware as well.

I forwarded your email to Michelle who had more intimate knowledge regarding your retesting at the lab.
        -Darren
        Family Tree DNA
        Darren, we know it's not you and I really commend you for standing up and taking all the punches.

Here are some legit questions for you.

If or when a marker fails QC what happens?

What steps need to be rerun?

How is the kit then reinserted into the queue i.e. when and what order?

Are these kits given any type of a higher priority status to help remove the backlog or are they treated as just another run and put at the back of the list?

Comment

• This is how frustrated I am.

https://texasattorneygeneral.gov/cpd...umer-complaint

Comment

• Elise Friedman gave a webinar last night, titled "The Ideal Life of a Family Tree DNA Kit." It will be available in the Learning Center eventually. I recommend watching it, as it gives a good idea of the process. It covers mailing times to and from the customer, how the USPS handles kits, how the kits are assembled, the various machines for the different tests, and more.

It will not explain why many of the problems happen that people have encountered and are complaining about. But it does show where and how the samples are handled, and what is supposed to happen if it fails quality control, etc. The webinar was just under one hour long, including answering questions.

Comment

• Batch 599 yDNA37 results in this morning, early within the last predicted window. Maybe they are finally getting through the backlog. Meanwhile still waiting on batch 595 which are scheduled 2/4 to 2/18.

Comment

• I received the results for my batch 600 Y-37 last night.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dna-donut View Post
                  Darren, we know it's not you and I really commend you for standing up and taking all the punches.

Here are some legit questions for you.

If or when a marker fails QC what happens?

What steps need to be rerun?

How is the kit then reinserted into the queue i.e. when and what order?

Are these kits given any type of a higher priority status to help remove the backlog or are they treated as just another run and put at the back of the list?
                  These are excellent questions and should be addressed.

If a marker fails and the steps have to be rerun then that kit should be inserted back in the queue before other kits which were batched after it.

Comment

• 599 still waiting

Still waiting for all 3 panels to upgrade from Y37 to Y67 in batch 599.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tenn4ever View Post
                      These are excellent questions and should be addressed.

If a marker fails and the steps have to be rerun then that kit should be inserted back in the queue before other kits which were batched after it.
                      I guess that would depend on when the QC fail results come in compared to when the other tests are started. But they should definitely be inserted with the next available group being run, or at least that would make the most sense.

My fear is they aren't, but I don't know that.

My concern is that I was told because of the QC failing a "couple" markers that I should expect my results within 3-5 weeks. I find it hard to imagine it taking that long, nearly as long as a completely new kit. But without knowing exactly how the process works, it may.

But then again I was also told that they were no longer going to report any results until all panels have passed and all were to be reported simultaneously. Which obviously isn't the case.

At this point I just don't know who or what to believe as the reasons, explanations and expectations seem to change with the direction of the wind.
                      Last edited by Dna-donut; 7 February 2015, 12:29 PM.

Comment

• Webinar

The Ideal Life of a Family Tree DNA Kit is the title of a webinar given on 2/5. It was recorded, so should soon be in the Learning Center. I missed it, but hope it will help clarify some of the issues we've been seeing.

Here's how it was billed prior: "Join us for a behind-the-scenes look at the "ideal life" of a Family Tree DNA kit, from the time a new kit is ordered until the customer receives results!"

I wonder if it discussed some of the "glitches" that cause delays along the way.

Comment

• I would suggest that if they want to improve their product they might want to read the Grumbles and Gripes section of the forum webpage that they set up and answer the questions. I am amazed at companies that setup websites like this and then don't really answer the questions or address the problems that customers have. Instead they are giving and recording webinars about how great their system is.

Anybody can see the system is not working if they just come over here and read the posts or go to the Facebook page. I ordered a recording interface off of the internet the other day, a $200 device. It got here within two days and the day it arrived I got a call from the company to make sure that I received the item and make sure I was happy with the way it worked. Its not hard to have good customer service, but it does take a plan, some people and some effort.

I want to say again that it is amazing that they set up a page like this and they don't address simple questions with answers with some detail.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dna-donut View Post
                            [----] My concern is that I was told because of the QC failing a "couple" markers that I should expect my results within 3-5 weeks. I find it hard to imagine it taking that long, nearly as long as a completely new kit. But without knowing exactly how the process works, it may. [----]
                            Panels are being run in parallel, a failed marker means that the relevant panel has to be repeated. At least it used to be like that...

W.

Comment

• when a marker or panel fails it is rerun with a higher priority than other testing, meaning it does not get put back at the end of the line.

One problem with DNA testing is it relies on biological and chemical processes which are not infallible. Ten people can order the test and eight work fine and get results on time, two others need to have the test rerun while one of those have multiple failures so the lab will keep re running the testing until it passes quality control. In this scenario the first person who retests and gets results the next time may have to wait about a month or so after the others have already gotten results. The last person may have to wait a few months more depending on how many times the sample fails.

The lab will not compromise quality standards though. So if a test fails five times and has been running for months and they determine they cannot complete the testing from the samples on hand they will then send for anew sample collection which will add to an even longer delay.

The lab is not purposefully withholding results or delaying testing, anyone from these older batches is already running at higher priorities.

The only way this thread will get die down is when everyone from these older batches have results. That will happen, just not on the time frame that everyone wants, and for that I am sorry.
                              -Darren
                              Family Tree DNA

Comment

• Darren, I appreciate your response. I would suggest to you and to FTDNA that you need to develop a better form of telling folks where they stand. We don't know about DNA testing. That may make us Dumb to some on this board, but I don't think we are. We most certainly are your customers. Right now your overall process is creating a fair amount of negative comments both here and on Facebook. Its not good advertising to say the least.

The current process you have may satisfy those who fly through testing cleanly, but it leaves those of us who don't wondering whats going on. So you are leaving a percentage of your customers upset, in some cases very upset. I don't know how large this percentage is, but I suspect its a good number.

I would even suggest, that if you can't do anything else, you might consider an automatic new sample from the customer if the tests fail after the third try. At this point I would have felt better having sent in a new kit, than sitting here thinking I had fallen through the cracks.

Everything you have told us has helped, but we should not to have to nag and complain so much to get information. I would put a sticky in bold at the top of this page. A "READ THIS IF YOUR TEST IS TAKING A LONG TIME" post. Explain is some detail what might be happening, it would help not just me and other customers, but you and FTDNA as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X