No Confirmation of Received by Lab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Confirmation of Received by Lab

I sent in my daughters kit 3 weeks ago (from California to Texas) and it is still not showing in the Order History as being "Received by the Lab". I have sent an email to customer service and have not received an answer. Is this typical or should I be concerned that the kit was lost in the mail?

It's pretty typical. Even if customer service answers you (and they often don't), they won't be able to give you a meaningful answer.

If they do answer and tell you something alarming, like that your kit was lost and never received or something like that, don't panic. Chances are that it's not even remotely true.

When I first sent in my kit and had a similar experience, they told me my kit was probably lost and that they would need to send me another one. I ended up speaking to the president of the company, who told me that the truth was that my kit was "probably still sitting down in the mailroom" and that they would "have to find it". My kit ended up getting batched the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by janblotz View Post
      I sent in my daughters kit 3 weeks ago (from California to Texas) and it is still not showing in the Order History as being "Received by the Lab". I have sent an email to customer service and have not received an answer. Is this typical or should I be concerned that the kit was lost in the mail?
      Your experience is not an extraordinary one. Thus I recommend to send samples back using tracking, but without a signature required.

An addition to Sarmat's comments.

USPS appears to deliver a bag full of samples once a week to FTDNA. Usually on Monday, then on Tuesday you would be getting an e-mail notification that your kit was received. Then on Thursday it is acknowledged as received by the lab, sometimes it is Thursday of the following week.

W.

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
        Your experience is not an extraordinary one. Thus I recommend to send samples back using tracking, but without a signature required.
        I agree with that recommendation, but even that is far from foolproof. I had the USPS neglect to scan a tracked kit after it reached an intermediate facility in Houston. I spent a couple of weeks thinking it had been lost, only to after quite a long time have it marked received by FTDNA. No further updates ever showed up on the USPS tracking page.

Comment

A friend of mine mailed hers approx Nov 9, and there is nothing on her page either. I feel somewhat better after reading this thread.

Comment

I just type in the tracking number on the bottom of the envelope provided by FTDNA in the USPS site, and then bookmark that page to keep an eye on its progress. For example, I sent back a kit last Friday morning. It left my area on Saturday, and that page is now showing (after a couple of hours delay) that it arrived at the USPS Origins facility in Houston at 7:04 am today. This particular kit was ordered 11/25, was finally sent out on 12/2 thanks to the holiday, received by me on 12/4, I mailed it back 12/5 -- so we're already at the two week mark since ordering for this kit, and it's still not at the lab. I'm honestly not expecting it to be batched til next week (based on past experience), though I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does happen this week.

The kit I ordered for my father a few months ago sat in a different post office in Houston from the one mentioned above several days before it finally was delivered (according to the post office) to FTDNA, arriving on a Thursday there. So I had to wait til the following Thursday before my dad's test was batched. (That kid was ordered on 8/30, was sent to me 9/1, I sent it back the following Saturday, 9/6, immediately after my dad took the test, it was delivered by the post office to FTDNA on 9/11 and finally batched on 9/18). So it was almost three weeks from when I ordered the kit to it actually being in the lab for that one, and that was going from Ohio to Texas.

Comment

I was told several times that kits being sent from London (UK) were lost, once over the phone. One day after the
              phone call the results for one kit appeared, completed.

A call the next day found the other one. Still,
              however, awaiting BigY results due, before the new kit,
              in July, for the other one from London.

Call two or three times and be sure you get different
              service people.

Comment

I ordered a kit for my brother, it took 2 days from order to to being in his hands. He mailed it back from Michigan, took over 3 weeks for them to receive it in the lab.

I ordered a kit from 23andme, had it in 2 days with return postage on it and a tracking number. I mailed it from Ontario on Fri, they had it in Texas, acknowledged, on Tues. I had results the next Fri! 2 weeks from start to finish.

There is absolutely no excuses for the way things are handled by this company but people keep ordering from them and they don't seem to have a choice but to put up with it so nothing changes.

You can call them every day and get every excuse in the book, they don't seem to think customer service is important. You'd think that all the calls to the president of the company would make things happen better but it certainly doesn't appear to.

Comment

Maybe its the Wizard of Oz. One poor overworked bugger filling orders, receiving, testing, data entry, customer service...
                  Anybody know how many people work at FTDNA?

Comment

Only One Chance to Make A Good First Impression

My test kit was sent USPS (Ultra Slow, Painfully So) -- took 11 days to arrive from day of order. USPS said it took two days to return to Houston. It took two days for FTDNA to acknowledge receipt. Hurry up and wait.

A company only has one chance to make a first impression. I guess they don't mean it this way, but it comes off as if they couldn't care less -- don't call us, we'll call you.

This is not a good first impression. Granted, perhaps things become more organized and focused when results are ready. It would be great if the company validated that managing expectations and status from order time to test disclosure can be handled better. I appreciate reading the posts in this forum -- I see I'm not alone dealing with confusion and potential glitches at the start of the process.

Comment

FTDNA finally rec'd my friend's kit. Now has it listed. It was mailed approx 9 Nov. from Illinois Just showed up today as in process on her page.

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post

An addition to Sarmat's comments.

USPS appears to deliver a bag full of samples once a week to FTDNA. Usually on Monday, then on Tuesday you would be getting an e-mail notification that your kit was received. Then on Thursday it is acknowledged as received by the lab, sometimes it is Thursday of the following week.

W.
                        I've sent out nine kits and I've never received an email that any of the kits were received by the lab....not once. I do get an email that tells me the password to use but not that the kits have been received.

I check the account every day to see if a kit has been received by the lab.

I live right up the road from the lab in Houston and even when I mail a kit in sometimes it's two weeks before it posts to the account that it's been received.

Comment

Lower Expectations

The company has my kit for 3 weeks so far for a test their site says takes 1-2 weeks. No communication. I think anyone who uses this site has to just let go and lower expectations. The company places little value on customer service or communication. For the same price as 2-day guaranteed UPS with tracking, they choose undependable US postal service with spotty tracking.

In other words, the first user experience you get is that they cut corners with no regard for customer expectations. Hope they do not do that with the actual tests.

I guess their business model is to be cash in and be bought out. We think it's about DNA testing. Lack of user support says otherwise. The moral of the story for users is to lower expectations and don't expect much in terms of communication and fulfillment. Again, hope it is not the same with the tests when received and processed.

Comment

I posted my dads kit from Ireland on the 18th Decemeber, it arrived in the US on the 19th December, it was delivered and signed for on last friday the 2nd January so it will be interesting to see how long it takes to be marked as being received now....

Comment

Originally posted by loudam View Post
                              I posted my dads kit from Ireland on the 18th Decemeber, it arrived in the US on the 19th December, it was delivered and signed for on last friday the 2nd January so it will be interesting to see how long it takes to be marked as being received now....
                              loudam
                              Are you happy with the myOrigin results of previous tests?

Comment

Working...
                              X