Private Trees at FTDNA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private Trees at FTDNA

I finally came across a private tree and was greeted by this less than humorous illustration. Is that little stick figure supposed to be me attempting to clear a brick wall only to fall on my…
    Attached Files

As far as I know, there's no private tree option at FTDNA. I've seen the same message once or twice and think it just means there's some kind of problem displaying the tree. Might be "in process" - or it might be a bug.

Comment

I've never come across that before, and as far as I've seen most people who want privacy here at FTDNA simply don't put a tree up. Most of my matches don't have any form of a tree at all. I'd estimate about 80% aren't showing a real tree at all. I feel really lucky if I have someone showing a surname list of any length as many of the surname lists are too small (a couple of names or so) to be of any help.

I do agree with you, phje, that the illustration is less than humorous.

Comment

Childish, just like the Houston message. Time to grow up and produce some informative and professional error messages.

Comment

Originally posted by WCoaster View Post
          As far as I know, there's no private tree option at FTDNA. I've seen the same message once or twice and think it just means there's some kind of problem displaying the tree. Might be "in process" - or it might be a bug.
          One can now make tree private, although I personally do not see the point of someone uploading a tree only to make it private.

Setting>Genealogy Tab.

If Deceased people born 100+ years ago is set to private, anyone that clicks on your tree will get the above mentioned page.

Comment

What if the tab is set so that only matches can see those individuals?

I decided to solve my dislike of showing too much info, by deleting all but the last names of grandparents down. I have no interest in being attached to anyone's tree, but my own. Anymore than I attach anyone who isn't a direct ancestor to mine.

Comment

Working...
            X