Offering refunds or stipends for failure to provide basic services promised

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AngeliaR View Post
    I was recently told that there are known problems with emails from FTDNA reps through and to some email carriers. (att.net, Bell ISPs, aol and comcast were mentioned by name.) Evidently, sometimes email to addresses with these domains simply disappear and are never delivered. On the c/s end, the response shows as logged, date stamped and that it appears to have resolved the issue/request submitted.
    I had the exact same thing happen at a university where I formerly worked. For some reason, all messages coming from the university's domain were being blocked by one host (hotmail.com, if I remember correctly). Whenever I sent an email to someone with a hotmail address, I never realized that it hadn't made it to the destination - I never got any bounced mail messages or anything. I kept wondering why the recipients never responded.

Comment

Really, emailed answers aren't always received, even if the log at ftdna shows responses are sent 100% of the time. I think it's a technical thing rather than deliberate neglect.
      I think that would be a convenient excuse, but the fact is that sometimes they just don't answer. I've even had direct emails to the customer service manager, Michelle Fiedler, go unanswered until I cc'ed Bennett Greenspan.

I've written to him about these issues, and his excuse is that email support would be a lot easier if they didn't provide telephone support as well.

I'm not sure I buy that. At one point in my career, I actually managed a customer support team of 48 agents handling both telephone and email tickets, so I know that it really is a challenge to keep productivity up when inbound calls are hitting heavily, but I also know that it can be done, and I would NEVER have let an email go more than 24 hours without a response.

Here it can sometimes take a week or more just to get an acknowledgement of an email request if they even respond at all, and that's simply unacceptable. There's no excuse for it. Personally, I think Mr. Greenspan really needs to do some housecleaning in the Customer Service department. They are really damaging FTDNA's reputation, and it doesn't have to be that way.
      Last edited by Sarmat; 21 November 2014, 06:24 PM.

Comment

I'm guessing my problem is the worst. As you may recall, I transferred my father's geno2 to FTDNa in December 2013. Something got screwed up (could have been my fault, I don't know)and the family finder test was "officially" ordered in February 2014. As some readers may recall, my father had to submit additional samples throughout the last year.

I sent an email when it again became clear that the most recent results were way overdue and the rep responded, "Thank you. There was an issue while we attempted to upload your results...".

A refund was issued although I did not request one. Supposedly the FTDNA folks are still working on this "issue". My father's expected time for results is stuck in a loop. Thus, I'm certain he will hold the record for waiting for family finder results.

I just want his raw data. Seriously. In one month he will be 89 years old and I REALLY don't want to ask this dear man to try and spit into several vials.

Comment

E-mail / phone support

Solutions are well known and tried. One of them is to divide the group and have e-mail handlers answering the phones only when there is a flood of calls...

I clearly remember calling FTDNA twice over a period of four years, but it could been three times. On both occasions, I have achieved an instant resolution to my issues (I had never phoned due to a problem caused by FTDNA). Last time I phoned this August.

I would be missing the phone support. Typed conversations are never the same as a spoken ones

W.

Comment

notifications change

I have been receiving match notifications for FF for the first time ever. I didn't change settings or make any changes on my end.

Then I read this message that was sent in an admin newsletter:

"We moved notifications to a third-party platform that allows us more flexibility in editing, and has a higher delivery rate (meaning fewer notifications get labeled as junk mail. As you may have noticed there were a couple of hiccups but for the most part it’s gone smoothly considering the scope of the undertaking. We apologize for any inconvenience those hiccups caused, and appreciate your patience as we work to improve our service."

I am hopeful the impact of this change will also be experienced for processing delays and customer service responses, but don't know for sure if they are all on the same system.

I wish this kind of information was posted somewhere for all customers. We all need to see and be aware of when progress is being made behind the scenes.

Comment

messages sent in an admin newsletter

[----] I wish this kind of information was posted somewhere for all customers. We all need to see and be aware of when progress is being made behind the scenes.
              Ditto! W.

Comment

I think that if they don't post my results this week, I too am going to file a complaint with the BBB and ask for a refund.

They could have produced my results ten times over by now if they were motivated, and I have yet to even receive the slightest hint of an apology for taking my five hundred bucks and not giving me anything but delays and excuses in return.

My only regret would be that a friend gave me his coupon, which probably can't be used again, but ultimately that's FTDNA's fault and not mine.
                Last edited by Sarmat; 25 November 2014, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aperipatetic1 View Post
                  Thanks Pinny, it does appear that, in these cases taken to the BBB that they do seem to pass out a refund, but it should not have to come to that point for the overwhelming majority of people.

They should be doing the right thing because its the right thing. I did get some usefulness out of the account, so I fairly dont think I am actually entitled to a total and complete refund. A lot of those BBB refunds that I looked at are people waiting in some cases months with no word on the status of their test samples, who simply wanted to end the test and receive a refund of their payment. These people are clearly entitled to a total refund in my opinion, because they never received the usefulness of any part of the service they tendered payment for.

I do think that in cases where the FTDNA representatives' have acknowledged that there is a error with a customers accounts/services, which FTDNA staff have been given fair notice of, and which they have failed to fix in a timely fashion, people who through no fault of their own are affected should receive a standard offer of a depreciated refund. If they do not wish to pay a tech to fix account(s) and restore all the account features to functionality, they dont have to, but then cut me a $40 refund / 50% discount to my card (there was a special at the time I ordered for roughly 70 or 80 bucks) since you are not paying, or seemingly staffing, to fix the account.

I then allow you to fully delete my account, and you never have to service or repair it again. Everyone is happy.

What instead has happened in my case are multiple attempts to email 'help'desk or contact Elise here, I sent them a screen grab showing my empty MO database, and they responded with a email saying the MO feature was working when they checked it. I then sent them another, new, screengrab showing it did not work, and the 'help'desk person then said the feature did not work when he checked it, and he had no time frame for when it could or would be repaired.

So, the 'help'desk resolution was basically to tell me yes its broken, and we dont know when it will be addressed.
                  That is not a resolution to anything. Pass me on to the tech guy, give me his contact info, tell me you will email again in two weeks... SOMETHING.. But that was the end to my difficult route to even contacting these folks in the first place. It appears to me like they are simply trying to get rid of service request tickets, and possibly a two line email response to a customer, conceding the account is not working correctly with no other aid to them, may be considered 'clearing' the request, from the companies standpoint.

There does not seem to be any real impetus here to fix anything, and the stupid "Smith" name frequency banner being inserted by someone who apparently is overly proud of this non-accomplishment in the same time frame that they failed to fix the actual problem, is like rubbing salt in the wound.

ELISE - can I have a 50% refund sent to my card, please? I will happily depart FTDNA and you can delete my account in its entirety, in exchange.
                  Its too bad they dont make sure their existing customers that paid full price are getting decent service before throwing a huge sale and creating worse backlogs and delays.

Comment

It would be nice if it was consistent

I have been receiving match notifications for FF for the first time ever. I didn't change settings or make any changes on my end.

Then I read this message that was sent in an admin newsletter:

"We moved notifications to a third-party platform that allows us more flexibility in editing, and has a higher delivery rate (meaning fewer notifications get labeled as junk mail. As you may have noticed there were a couple of hiccups but for the most part it’s gone smoothly considering the scope of the undertaking. We apologize for any inconvenience those hiccups caused, and appreciate your patience as we work to improve our service."

I am hopeful the impact of this change will also be experienced for processing delays and customer service responses, but don't know for sure if they are all on the same system.

I wish this kind of information was posted somewhere for all customers. We all need to see and be aware of when progress is being made behind the scenes.
                    I have only ever received one notification of new matches, that's all. And that was about a month ago, none before, none since.

Comment

Originally posted by Dna-donut View Post
                      I have only ever received one notification of new matches, that's all. And that was about a month ago, none before, none since.
                      Same here.

Comment

Stop where you are for now......

I paid for the whole works and so far it isn't telling me much. Still waiting for Paternal results however DON'T bother to pay for the Maternal test. Family Finder test was ok, and I was happy to see my ethnic breakdown, I was more interested in MY ethnic background, didn't care much about finding matches since I probably will never have contact with any of them. I only care about knowing my ethnic background in detail. Example: it showed middle eastern ancestry on the map however it would be more helpful to know WHAT PART of this region is my background and who passed this onto me. Unfortunately they don't seem to break this down in detail or tell you what side this comes from.

Comment

Originally posted by MPH View Post
                          Example: it showed middle eastern ancestry on the map however it would be more helpful to know WHAT PART of this region is my background and who passed this onto me. Unfortunately they don't seem to break this down in detail or tell you what side this comes from.
                          If you click on "Middle Eastern" where it gives you the percentage, it will give you a breakdown of categories of Middle Eastern. The three categories are Asia Minor (Turkey and the Caucasus), Eastern Middle East (basically what most people would call Arab) and North Africa (Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia). It will give you a percentage for each of these, which will add up to your total Middle Eastern.

Note that there is a separate category for Ashkenazi Diaspora, which represents Jewish ancestry, specifically from Eastern Europe. So, being given a percentage for Middle Eastern, but no percentage for Ashkenazi Diaspora probably means that the Middle Eastern percentage involves little or no Jewish ancestry.

An autosomal DNA test like Family Finder can't tell you which side a match or an ethnic background is coming from. Each chromosome comes in a pair, one from your mother and the other from your father. The testing chip isn't able to know which side is giving you the result that says "Middle Eastern" or that matches with someone in the database.

If you had one or both of your parents also testing, that would enable the algorithm to say which result was coming from which parent to a large degree. This is called phasing. I don't know if FTDNA does phasing if a parent and child have both tested. However, you can upload a parent and child's raw data to GEDmatch.com which has a phasing tool. That would allow you to phase your FTDNA results and use the phased raw data with the ethnicity calculators at GEDmatch.
                          Last edited by MMaddi; 13 February 2015, 11:15 AM.

Comment

My result only shows middle east with "eastern middle east" and a percentage. Does not break it down in detail. However it maps several areas. Is the same for eastern Europe. Northern Europe it does break it down though

Comment

Originally posted by MPH View Post
                              My result only shows middle east with "eastern middle east" and a percentage. Does not break it down in detail. However it maps several areas. Is the same for eastern Europe. Northern Europe it does break it down though
                              As I mentioned there's a general category called Middle Eastern, which has three subcategories: Asia Minor, Eastern Middle East and North African.

From your description, it seems that your Middle Eastern is all from the Eastern Middle East subcategory. I also mentioned that this is basically Arab. It's the area including Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, Egypt and the Arabian peninsula countries.

If you're not given any Ashkenazi Diaspora percentage, then that would indicate you don't have any Jewish ancestry that's found among most European Jews. I suppose it's possible that some of your Eastern Middle East could be from Jewish ancestors who remained in the Middle East and never made it to Europe. If so, I think that wouldn't be a large percentage.

What percentage did myOrigins give you for Eastern Middle East?

Comment

8% percent....began in Egypt, the pattern was close to the Exodus route, when I looked at it, looked familiar. Origins strong in Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, Egypt, Israel and the Arabian peninsula. The middle eastern ancestry does not blend outside of that area. Ashkenazi did not show, which I did not think it would. I thought the percentage would be broken down into more detail in that region. Northern Europe was understandable, percentages in detail but Eastern Europe is just that...Eastern. I'd attach the Origins map, don't know how to do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X