Enough is enough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enough is enough

GEDCOM uploads are temporarily disabled while we work on a system update. Please check back again.

Temporarily to me means a short time, not the whole month this has happened. This has resulted in no gedcoms in the last couple of weeks of matches. I don't think that this is reasonable behavior on the part of FTDNA.

I noticed the test of their proposed interactive gedcom display.

No comment from FTDNA on the test and no new posting being permitted. Thank you FTDNA for nothing.

Enough is Enough

I think it is time that customers start thinking about sharing their complaints about FTDNA with the Better Business Bureau, local investigative reporters, and social media other then airing them here. The attention may get FTDNA to start correcting their problems and bring the customer service department and the company back to caring about their customers.

Comment

I agree

Yes, I agree that the customer relations should be improved.

And I am certain that in many areas they easily could be improved!

However, the bigger problem is the customers' perception. Some users easily forget that FTDNA is a DNA testing company and the genealogy research is closely tied into it, but it is a follower and not a leader.

Also a month is a very long time, in the Internet news overload era. But for some, like me it is not. I had asked my first questions in 70s, so one month later seems almost irrelevant. Moreover, in my experience getting a response from one's matches is way more unnerving and last way too long to my liking...

Comment

DNA, I would have been very happy if I had gotten results in even two months, but it's been five months for me. That is a long time no matter how you look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by rowdy View Post
          DNA, I would have been very happy if I had gotten results in even two months, but it's been five months for me. That is a long time no matter how you look at it.
          What particular test results are you awaiting? Have you had any contact from FTDNA regarding progress/status in that 5 month period?

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post
            What particular test results are you awaiting? Have you had any contact from FTDNA regarding progress/status in that 5 month period?
            hi gtc check out the thread I started "Batch 562" for my communications with FTDNA.

Comment

A quick comment

@rowdy:

That was exactly what I meant by possible improvements. The expectations are set for us that FGS (mtFull Sequence) results would be available in 6 weeks. That is what we, the consumers, want to hear.

In reality, for many reasons, any lab run might end in a failure. Then it is another 6 weeks of waiting (omitting here time required for DNA extraction).

The customers do not want to learn about heteroplasmy and other technical topics (one might argue that they should..., but most prefer to drive their cars and not know how to change spark plugs...). Most want to know that their money and DNA was not lost.

May be there should be an opt-in or opt-out communication option on a form. Some people would genuinely feel better when receiving constant updates, especially when anything goes wrong. So, for example, one would receive hypothetical e-mails:
              * vial A in the lab
              * DNA extraction failure, retrying, next communication in 2 business days
              * DNA extraction success, waiting for a batch to start
              * started processing, will last around 40 days
              * processing should finish in 7 days
              * whether valid results were obtained would be known in next 48 hours
              * whether valid results were obtained would be known in next 24 hours
              * no valid results (including a pointer to hundreds of reasons situation like that happens from time to time and a firm reassurance that the company cares very much), re-batching with DNA previously extracted
              * DNA already in the lab (as we know that shipments happen only once a week...), but waiting for the batch process to start
              * [----]
              * whether valid results were obtained would be known in next 24 hours
              * no valid results (including a pointer [----]); need to extract DNA from vial B
              * DNA extraction failure, retrying, next communication in 2 business days
              * DNA extraction success, waiting for a batch to start

etc.

Some people want to be given an option for a very verbose communication. Thus FTDNA should give such an option to all the testers. Including an option to change the level of verbosity at any point in time (as it is just a flag somewhere in the computer, that should be allowed at any point in time).

If you were given real information (I know..., is there unreal information? ) at each crucial point in the process, you would not be having dark thoughts about your sample being lost, mishandled etc...

Would everybody be less grumpy? I do not know, but I think there would be less totally unsatisfied customers.

Going back to my personal experience. So far we have waited for 3 months only for one FGS, while four were completed within 6 weeks. I will see in 4 weeks how the one that is currently being processed turns out...

P.S.
              @JDP1144:
              The same with GEDCOM. Updating the message about uploads being disabled once a week, and whenever anything substantial happens to the project would be very nice... Static "GEDCOM uploads are temporarily disabled" is not a good wording for anything that lasts months...
              Last edited by dna; 4 September 2014, 08:02 PM. Reason: +P.S.

Comment

Hi all,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by GEDCOM uploads being disabled for the last few weeks. GEDCOM uploads are returning next week as part of a much larger feature release.

In the future, when we have to disable a feature in order to prepare for an improvement or all together new feature, we will do what we can to message it in a way that provides more clarity on the length of time we expect that functionality to be unavailable.

We are also planning to create a system that will automatically notify customers when their test has failed so that you will at least know why your test has delayed without having to contact us directly to find out the sample failed. I don't have an ETA on this as it is still in the planning stage.
                Last edited by TaylorT; 5 September 2014, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TaylorT View Post
                  We are also planning to create a system that will automatically notify customers when their test has failed so that you will at least know why your test has delayed without having to contact us directly to find out the sample failed. I don't have an ETA on this as it is still in the planning stage.
                  Well that's an admirable aim, but I suggest that your IT Department first investigate and work out why their existing 'automatic' mailing processes don't work reliably, otherwise this initiative will probably end up in the same category.

Comment

Well that's an admirable aim, but I suggest that your IT Department first investigate and work out why their existing 'automatic' mailing processes don't work reliably, otherwise this initiative will probably end up in the same category.
                    gtc,

Which automatic emails aren't working correctly right now? Can you give specific examples that we can share with IT? You can send kit numbers to me and/or Taylor privately.

Thanks!
                    Elise

Comment

Originally posted by efgen View Post
                      gtc,

Which automatic emails aren't working correctly right now? Can you give specific examples that we can share with IT? You can send kit numbers to me and/or Taylor privately.

Thanks!
                      Elise
                      My own instances of match non-notification are now too old to be relevant, but there are plenty of mentions of this problem on the various forums. Project Admins would have recent instances. If IT is prepared to follow through then I will alert you as I see cases being reported. Getting this fixed would be a great step forward.

Further to this, unless IT is keeping logs of all outgoing messages automatically generated for a significant period of time, it will be difficult to resolve for the reason that kit owners only find that they haven't been notified when they chance upon a new match -- which may be quite some time after the match date.
                      Last edited by gtc; 5 September 2014, 10:54 PM. Reason: added second para

Comment

My own instances of match non-notification are now too old to be relevant, but there are plenty of mentions of this problem on the various forums. Project Admins would have recent instances. If IT is prepared to follow through then I will alert you as I see cases being reported. Getting this fixed would be a great step forward.
                        Definitely let me know when you hear of current cases. There was a problem a while back, but I thought it was fixed. If not, we need to give IT specific examples to troubleshoot.

Thanks!
                        Elise

Comment

Originally posted by efgen View Post
                          Definitely let me know when you hear of current cases. There was a problem a while back, but I thought it was fixed. If not, we need to give IT specific examples to troubleshoot.
                          I added a para to my previous while you were replying.

Meanwhile, I will also ask my Project Admin to correspond with you directly regarding instances, as and when.

Comment

Originally posted by TaylorT View Post

Taylor, a system to notify customers AND PROJECT ADMINS that a test has failed is very much needed. FTDNA needs to recognize that project admins coordinate much of the testing within projects. Knowing when results of one member's test have been delayed allows admins to coordinate future tests more effectively with other members.

Even more important is that project admins be notified when a new test sample is needed for a project member. The HelpDesk told me in July that a system is in place to notify customers that a new test kit is being sent out, but I know of two recent occasions where that did not happen. If the project admin had been notified, much lost time would have been avoided.

Comment

I would have really appreciated email notifications in my recent experience with a snp test for a kit I manage. Test ordered 5/4/14, batched 5/8/14 and didn't come in until 9/3/14. In between, there were 6 test failures (failure to meet quality control) and a new sample needed in early June. None of this was relayed to me automatically in any form of notification and I know there were 6 test failures only because I kept sending messages to the help desk. I shouldn't have to feel like such a nag to stay in the loop for a test I purchased. Even now, there has been no notification that the test was finally completed. Probably ok for a die-hard like me but I can imagine those with less interest may give up and never even check back. Even if they do, they may not notice they did get results since negative snp results are pretty much buried and some snp's don't show up as terminal snps (DF13) even if they are positive.

Comment

Working...
                              X