No announcement yet.

Buh-Bye Ancestry.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've wondered for a long time why Ancestry doesn't provide those sorts of tools. My conclusion is it is an intentional move. They are catering to the less informed subset of potential customers who are excited to see all the matches and just assume that dna + shakey leaf confirms whatever bad info they are trying to add to their tree. In other words, they assume the majority of their customers have no interest in doing in-depth dna analysis themselves and want the interface to be as simple as possible.

Or perhaps they're just planning to buy out a competitor and use their tools. That would fit their MO.

Comment

Unfortunately many dna customers at Ancestry are uninformed. Many think if they find a tree match, they have a dna match. No one has told them that they have to do segment matching to find a valid match...........

Comment

Originally posted by BJackson View Post
        I had my autosomal testing done with them just over a month ago. I had no idea they even offered Y or mtDNA testing.
        They haven't in a while. Not long after they introduced the autosomal test, they stopped selling the Y and mtDNA tests - they allowed the results of those who had previously bought them to remain but I guess they can't justify maintaining a database they're no longer making any money from.

On a different note, if they are going to focus on atDNA, it sure would be nice if they enhanced their online tools to evaluate matches. It would be nice to have something like a chromosome browser, cM or percent match, number of segments, etc.
        Yeah - supposedly installing Jeff Snavely's Chrome Extension and using Genome Mate is a big help and adds a lot of tools to AncestryDNA but personally, I'm having problems getting the extension to work.

Comment

Originally posted by PDHOTLEN View Post
          The changes with Ancestry.com do not affect me and my trees, or with the autosomal test results I'm waiting for. However, I'm wondering about SMGF. I have a lot of maternal HVR1 matches and two HVR1+HVR2 matches there.
          Almost all HVR1+HVR2 matches and especially HVR1 really are pretty worthless outside the study of ancient migrations of tens of thousands of years ago. My terminal haplogroup matches with an FGS are still estimated with common ancestor back 3,000 years ago... not very useful.

Comment

Originally posted by thetick View Post
            Almost all HVR1+HVR2 matches and especially HVR1 really are pretty worthless outside the study of ancient migrations of tens of thousands of years ago. My terminal haplogroup matches with an FGS are still estimated with common ancestor back 3,000 years ago... not very useful.
            I don't agree that my matches at SMGF are worthless. For one thing I sent in my sample to be tested early on. So they probably have my DNA stored there. I mostly ignored my Y-DNA results there after I had FTDNA test me. But my maternal side, with the family trees that are shown, are hardly worthless. I built two research trees from those two HVR1+HVR2 samples. They, along with trees from some of the HVR1 matches, showed me that my U5b2b2 arrived during the Great Migration period to New England (prior to 1645).

Comment

Originally posted by Germanica View Post
              They haven't in a while. Not long after they introduced the autosomal test, they stopped selling the Y and mtDNA tests - they allowed the results of those who had previously bought them to remain but I guess they can't justify maintaining a database they're no longer making any money from.

Yeah - supposedly installing Jeff Snavely's Chrome Extension and using Genome Mate is a big help and adds a lot of tools to AncestryDNA but personally, I'm having problems getting the extension to work.
              Thank you for posting about those two tools. I did not know they existed. I'll have to give them a try to see if I can get any mileage out of them.

Comment

Working...
              X