Buh-Bye Ancestry.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buh-Bye Ancestry.com

Ancestry.com is getting out the the Y-DNA and mtDNA testing business.

(Where is the dancing banana smiley when you need one?)

If you read the article, it says genealogy.com will be retired or whatever. Part of genealogy.com is genforum. They say that genforum will become a read only site. I guess no one will be able to post questions seeking ancestors anymore.

Comment

They are apparently shutting down a lot of their non core stuff. If I were to guess I'd say they've hired some bright young MBA to evaluate their business and the recommendation was to cut costs and simplify their operations.

In general that is good advice but such cuts are sometimes excessively deep and have negative impacts that aren't obvious for years.

Comment

Originally posted by ragnar View Post
        If you read the article, it says genealogy.com will be retired or whatever. Part of genealogy.com is genforum. They say that genforum will become a read only site. I guess no one will be able to post questions seeking ancestors anymore.

Genforum posts have cross-posted to ancestry.com's message board for a long time, so if they keep the message board on ancestry.com I don't think much will be lost.

Don't they own rootsweb as well? That's one I'd hate to see go, even if its not nearly as popular as it used to be.

Comment

I just feel so very sorry for the people with dead parents DNA vials at Ancestry that they are apparently just going to destroy.

Comment

I don't think they keep the vials

Comment

Please keep this thread alive because many of us are interested in hearing/learning more since this impacts many of us, and perhaps at different levels..........

Comment

What is the main difficulty facing DNA firms?

I reckon it's the sheer volume of data that's proving difficult to manage but what do you think?

Comment

I think they are correct in focusing on autosomal DNA only for genealogy, particularly for the masses. 99% of what I've gained from DNA testing has come from autosomal. Y-111 and FMS have yielded almost nothing for me.

As for volume of data, eliminating y- and mt- tests/data is the smaller portion, anyway. I don't think that is a factor.

Comment

Originally posted by ragnar View Post
                    That explains why every time I try to register at GenForum, I never get the activation email they claim to be sending me and why every time I try to recover my password (because it does acknowledge my email address I have signed up with is in their database) I never get an email. Sounds like they have already shut down new registration - but it would have been nice if they'd just told me that instead of letting me try again and again and again to sign up/log in.

Don't know if I'm allowed to mention it but for this reason, I started an alternate genealogy message board - I won't link to it because I don't want to spam but Google GeneaBoards. Hopefully it will be a good alternative to the now dying GenForum.

Comment

Why are you happy about this?

Originally posted by terjess View Post
                      Ancestry.com is getting out the the Y-DNA and mtDNA testing business.

(Where is the dancing banana smiley when you need one?)
                      Do you enjoy monopolies? I certainly do not. It's always great to have other options to compare your results. I know of two instances where mistakes were made by labs, but it only came to surface when those people tested with another company.

I see nothing to celebrate about.

Comment

I agree it is not good news. Also, they are going to destroy the samples. Some of them are of now deceased people. Kind of sad, though I guess it would be a royal pain to do something with them.

Comment

The changes with Ancestry.com do not affect me and my trees, or with the autosomal test results I'm waiting for. However, I'm wondering about SMGF. I have a lot of maternal HVR1 matches and two HVR1+HVR2 matches there.

Comment

I had my autosomal testing done with them just over a month ago. I had no idea they even offered Y or mtDNA testing.

Comment

On a different note, if they are going to focus on atDNA, it sure would be nice if they enhanced their online tools to evaluate matches. It would be nice to have something like a chromosome browser, cM or percent match, number of segments, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X