20 week wait! ARGH!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 week wait! ARGH!

I ordered an L484 SNP test on the 18th February 2014 (Batch 557) and I am still waiting for my results!

According to 'customer services' my sample failed three times and they are re-running it for a fourth time, which will take ANOTHER 4-6 weeks minimum!

How difficult can it be to decide whether I test positive or negative? Twenty weeks? Really?

Come on FTDNA pull your finger out!

Every once in a while this sort of glitch will occur, where a sample fails to yield a SNP result after testing 3-4 times.

Exactly why it happens is not always known, but it could be the result of a SNP occurring within the primer region (causing the ptimrtd to fail in the bonding, thus causing the failure) or of an issue with a mutation on another chromosome which causes it to now appear to be too similar to the Y-SNP primer region (thus causing mixed signals and making the test fail).

There are also times when FTDNA has to develop new primers to use as the old primers start failing for multiple individuals.

FTDNA's philosophy has always been to try to achieve a result, even if it means running the test several times (which causes them to actually lose money on the order). However, if they cannot achieve a result after several test runs (I believe four may be the limit), they will stop testing. I believe they will inform the customer that the SNP test failed.

I understand this is maddeningly frustrating to have this happen, but they are trying the best the can.

Comment

Originally posted by Wing_Genealogis View Post
      Every once in a while this sort of glitch will occur, where a sample fails to yield a SNP result after testing 3-4 times.

Exactly why it happens is not always known, but it could be the result of a SNP occurring within the primer region (causing the ptimrtd to fail in the bonding, thus causing the failure) or of an issue with a mutation on another chromosome which causes it to now appear to be too similar to the Y-SNP primer region (thus causing mixed signals and making the test fail).

There are also times when FTDNA has to develop new primers to use as the old primers start failing for multiple individuals.

FTDNA's philosophy has always been to try to achieve a result, even if it means running the test several times (which causes them to actually lose money on the order). However, if they cannot achieve a result after several test runs (I believe four may be the limit), they will stop testing. I believe they will inform the customer that the SNP test failed.

I understand this is maddeningly frustrating to have this happen, but they are trying the best the can.
      How can my son and I be YSC0000082+ and the rest of U106 be negative?

Comment

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
        How can my son and I be YSC0000082+ and the rest of U106 be negative?
        Is your result from Big Y testing, or from individual SNP testing? It may be possible the primer region for this SNP is very similar to another region on another chromosome, and a mutation at the other chromosome caused a false positive result for your family.

Comment

Is your result from Big Y testing, or from individual SNP testing? It may be possible the primer region for this SNP is very similar to another region on another chromosome, and a mutation at the other chromosome caused a false positive result for your family.
          Both of us are presumed positive on the FTDNA R Y-tree and my son is from the Geno2.
          I checked the details from ybrowse.isogg.org and it shows YSC0000082 and PF6540 ChrY:9084870..9084870 (+ strand)
          Last edited by 1798; 5 June 2014, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Ray
            If I am positive for YSC0000082/PF6540 then all U106 men are positive for it.
            What is the hold up with the U106 Big-Y U106 results and why has the group not published them? Are you not able to put the new SNPs downstream of U106 in the correct sequence?

Comment

Goofed on PF6540/YSC0000082

Looking again at both the Geno 2.0 results and Big Y results, I do see where U106 folks are positive for this SNP.

Don't know exactly what went wrong in my initial search, but we are all human in the end.

Comment

Looking again at both the Geno 2.0 results and Big Y results, I do see where U106 folks are positive for this SNP.

Don't know exactly what went wrong in my initial search, but we are all human in the end.
                I wasn't criticizing you. I couldn't understand how I was positive and the other U106 weren't.
                FTDNA has me presumed positive for Z306 and Z307 even though I have tested negative at Chromo2 for these two SNPs.THere are five other SNPs on offer that I have tested negative for as well. They are not up to date with their own Y-tests.

Comment

Working...
                X