X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• khazaria
    replied
    Originally posted by daragon24 View Post
    My DNA tests at other companies shows my asian, north african and western european ethnic breakdown. But the family finder here at FTDNA does not.
    Yes they do report those kinds of intracontinental breakdowns when their algorithm detects SNP patterns in a customer that they think represent at least 1% of that person's genome.

Leave a comment:

• daragon24
    replied
    I think they delete a lot more than medical snps. My DNA tests at other companies shows my asian, north african and western european ethnic breakdown. But the family finder here at FTDNA does not.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by nicolam View Post
    I wasn't aware that FTDNA removed the medically related SNPs when I bought their test for my half-sister. I tested at 23andMe and uploaded to FTDNA. I got a Promethease report to get more info, and assumed I could get one for my sister. It is disappointing to find out some of the SNPs are removed from the data so she won't get as much info.
    I got a Promethease report with my FF raw data and there is a lot of interesting stuff in the report.

Leave a comment:

• nicolam
    replied
    I wasn't aware that FTDNA removed the medically related SNPs when I bought their test for my half-sister. I tested at 23andMe and uploaded to FTDNA. I got a Promethease report to get more info, and assumed I could get one for my sister. It is disappointing to find out some of the SNPs are removed from the data so she won't get as much info.

Leave a comment:

• Parameswara
    replied
    Originally posted by 1798 View Post
    If you look up some of the medically revelant SNPs you would become a nervous wreck. One of the SNPs that I have is connected to autism but I am not autistic.
    There are many autism spectrum disorders. For example, there is obsessive–compulsive personality disorder, which is part of autism, is a personality disorder characterized by a pervasive pattern of preoccupation with orderliness, perfectionism, excessive attention to details, mental and interpersonal control, and a need for power over one's environment, at the expense of flexibility, openness, and efficiency. Persons affected with this disorder may find it hard to relax, always feeling that time is running out for their activities and that more effort is needed to achieve their goals. They may plan their activities down to the minute—a manifestation of the compulsive tendency to keep control over their environment and to dislike unpredictable things as things they cannot control.

It is characterized by at least three of the following:

* feelings of excessive doubt and caution
    * preoccupation with details,rules,lists,order, organization, or schedule
    * perfectionism that interferes with task completion
    * excessive conscientiousness, scrupulousness, and undue preoccupation with productivity to the exclusion of pleasure and interpersonal relationships
    * excessive pedantry and adherence to social conventions
    * rigidity and stubbornness
    * unreasonable insistence by the individual that others submit exactly to his or her way of doing things or unreasonable reluctance to allow others to do things
    * intrusion of insistent and unwelcome thoughts or impulses

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by E19463 View Post
    Good saying. Some people do want to know if they are born to be shot or hung. You dare to tell them not to ask. This is an act of restricting their freedom and this is something that I cannot accept.
    I did not say that someone should not ask.

Those FF tests are comprehensive and so cheap for us they could be subsidized. Whoever is putting the money in may have something to do with how much info is allowed in to the raw data file.

Leave a comment:

• Darren
    replied
    Please keep it respectful guys.

-Darren

Leave a comment:

• E19463
    replied
    Originally posted by 1798 View Post
    Irish saying,
    "If you were born to be hung, you will not be shot".
    Good saying. Some people do want to know if they are born to be shot or hung. You dare to tell them not to ask. This is an act of restricting their freedom and this is something that I cannot accept.

Leave a comment:

replied
    I guess you got me wrong. It is up to us to change things as we do not live in North Korea. You do not like what FDA is doing? Do something, you live in a democracy.
    No, the problem is neither FDA nor FTDNA but people like user "1798" and others who demand that FDA is acting the way it does, who are demanding to be protected from themselves.
    The thinking of these people are a threat to our all freedom, it is this thinking that leads to a slippery slope of eroding freedom. FDA is just a symptom of that thinking and not the cause.
    Why do you accuse me in the wrong? Do you believe in free speech? We all have the right to have our say. I did not take anything from you.Take it up with FTDNA.

I don't have any complaints to air about the tests that I got from FTDNA. Some took longer than others but in the end I got the results.

As far as health related issues for me, if it is not broken there is no need to fix it.

Irish saying,
    "If you were born to be hung, you will not be shot".

Leave a comment:

• E19463
    replied
    ... FDA is just a symptom of that thinking and not the cause.
    I wanted to write: "FDA is just a symptom of that thinking and not the problem."
    I don't like the 15 minute limitation of editing...

Leave a comment:

• E19463
    replied
    Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
    That was my point and why I used the phrase "favorite whipping boy."
    I guess you got me wrong. It is up to us to change things as we do not live in North Korea. You do not like what FDA is doing? Do something, you live in a democracy.
    No, the problem is neither FDA nor FTDNA but people like user "1798" and others who demand that FDA is acting the way it does, who are demanding to be protected from themselves.
    The thinking of these people are a threat to our all freedom, it is this thinking that leads to a slippery slope of eroding freedom. FDA is just a symptom of that thinking and not the cause.
    Last edited by E19463; 23 April 2015, 03:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MMaddi
    replied
    I have no hard feelings whatsoever and neither should you. Maybe he is right in pointing out FDA, I don't know.
    You just proved my point about "your favorite whipping boy."

You live in Europe and have basically admitted that you don't know all the facts behind FTDNA's decision to strip medically relevant SNP results from Family Finder. Yet you posted comments which sound as if you're blaming FTDNA for what turns out to be a reasonable decision, even comparing them to the dictatorship in North Korea.

I think now you'll agree that you were wrong to jump to the conclusion that FTDNA is to blame. I certainly understand your frustration about the long delays in results and lack of communication from FTDNA. But that doesn't mean you should decide that everything that's not to your liking is their fault.

That was my point and why I used the phrase "favorite whipping boy."

Leave a comment:

• Tenn4ever
    replied
    An alternative to 23&Me and individual medical SNP testing:

http://dna-explained.com/2013/12/30/...n-alternative/

https://promethease.com/ondemandlicense

Leave a comment:

• E19463
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeP View Post
    " ... FTDNA, your favorite whipping boy"

The forum can do without extraneous snarks IMHO ...
    I have no hard feelings whatsoever and neither should you. Maybe he is right in pointing out FDA, I don't know.

Leave a comment:

• MikeP
    replied
    " ... FTDNA, your favorite whipping boy"

The forum can do without extraneous snarks IMHO ...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X