GEDMatch Down?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GEDMatch Down?????

I've noticed that GEDMatch is down. This is so very frustrating since just last week I encouraged a bunch of far flung cousins, descendants of a famous ancestor to have their DNA tested and export the data over to GEDMatch for more scientific study, and perhaps connecting to distant cousins in Europe or elsewhere.

Anybody know what's going on over at GEDMatch?

Much to my surprise I did match to a fifth cousin in Sweden and I have no known links to Sweden! And now GedMatch is down...

Kvetch! Kvetch! Kvetch! Oh I just love that Yiddish word!

Originally posted by LydiaGaebe View Post
    Anybody know what's going on over at GEDMatch?
    There was a server failure. I have been able to get a few utilities back online so new batch results could be made available. Not sure how long a permanent fix will take. At least a couple of days, maybe longer depending on how serious the problem turns out to be.

John

Comment

And this would be a good time for all us us who rely upon GEDMatch, and who believe that they provide us an excellent service to donate $$$ towards a new server or whatever other equipment they may need. There is a PayPal button on the site.

Sharon

Comment

Couldn't agree more. We all shell out big bucks to run these tests, let's get off some dollars to the sites that give us so much more information for free

Comment

I often wonder how many users of sites/programs like GEDmatch, GNUcash etc do actually donate. I generally donate to sites that I use more than just once or twice.

Comment

Good idea!!

Just did that!
            Last edited by Kathleen Carrow; 18 March 2014, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Excellent reminder - just donated!

Comment

downloading to GEDmatch

I really need very simple detailed instructions, I have now started over six times and can't get any of my test in right. I have the Family Finder for myself and my uncle and AncestryDNA for myself. I get error messages that my file doesn't exist. For example, with FamilyFinder it gives you four files 37s and 36 if I remember right. It tells you to download 36 but the GEDmatch will only allow one, do you then do it over again with the other one? ERROR: DNA data for this kit number has been previously loaded. Please allow a couple of days for additional batch processing for the 'one-to-all' comparison utility' I'm so confused, it would be worth it to pay someone to do it. I don't know if I did it right or made a mess of everything. I'd be so happy just to have one working. Thank you. Carole Alden

Comment

@Carole Alden

On your page titled
                  Download Your Data
                  Raw Data & Print Reports

https://my.familytreedna.com/family-...downloads.aspx

there are five (5) possible downloads:
                  • Build 37 Autosomal Raw Data
                  • Build 36 Autosomal Raw Data
                  • Build 37 X Chromosome Raw Data
                  • Build 36 X Chromosome Raw Data
                  • Printable Population Finder Map
                  You only need the one named Build 36 Autosomal Raw Data.

Once downloaded, it would have a file name
                  Code:
                  ffo-_some_numbers_and_letters_.csv.gz
                  If that was the file you have uploaded, then you did everything right, no need to upload any other file with your FTDNA results.

P.S.
                  Depending on your computer settings, you may not see .gz at the end of the file name. Or even not see .csv.gz

If that is the case, do not worry. However, later - whenever you have time, research how to enable display of the file name extensions on your operating system.
                  Last edited by dna; 13 November 2014, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by carole alden View Post
                    I really need very simple detailed instructions, I have now started over six times and can't get any of my test in right. I have the Family Finder for myself and my uncle and AncestryDNA for myself. I get error messages that my file doesn't exist. For example, with FamilyFinder it gives you four files 37s and 36 if I remember right. It tells you to download 36 but the GEDmatch will only allow one, do you then do it over again with the other one? ERROR: DNA data for this kit number has been previously loaded. Please allow a couple of days for additional batch processing for the 'one-to-all' comparison utility' I'm so confused, it would be worth it to pay someone to do it. I don't know if I did it right or made a mess of everything. I'd be so happy just to have one working. Thank you. Carole Alden
                    It sounds like you did get your DNA uploaded to Gedmatch. Did you get a kit number? To check ....sign on to GEDMatch with the email and pw you set up. This should take you to the Home Page of Gedmatch which will show your kit number on the left side. It will begin with an 'F'. If it has two stars next to the kit number then you are not fully batched but are tokenized. You will be able to use SOME of the Gedmatch tools such as the Admixture tool and the one on one tool (if you know someone else's kit number). When you are fully batched you will be able to use all the tools except for those at the very bottom of the page which are 'Tier One' tools. They cost $10 per month. Let me know if you need more help.
                    Last edited by Tenn4ever; 13 November 2014, 07:06 PM. Reason: Did not type message

Comment

carole alden: Both dna and Tenn4ever have given you help to see if your files uploaded. You can also read the detailed directions at http://v2.gedmatch.com/gedwiki/index...DNA_DNA_Upload, about uploading FTDNA data to GEDmatch. In case that link doesn't work unless you're logged in to GEDmatch, you can also get to that page by
                      1. Clicking on the "FTDNA Family Finder" link, under File Uploads, in the Autosomal raw DNA box. This gets you to the "GEDmatch Data Upload" page.
                      2. On the GEDmatch Data Upload page, there's a link just below the title, "Click HERE for detailed upload instructions." That takes you to the page linked above, which will give directions about how to download the files from FTDNA, and then how to upload them to GEDmatch. You must download both autosomal and X-DNA raw data files from FTDNA (Build 36), then upload to GEDmatch. There is a separate link in the Autosomal Raw Data box on your home page, under the "FTDNA Family Finder" link, to upload the X-DNA raw data.
                      Last edited by KATM; 14 November 2014, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Carole, also for Family Tree DNA you will need to download your 'X' files and do a separate upload to Gedmatch for that file. That's required before your Family Tree kit will be tokenized. You don't have to do two uploads for Ancestry files.

Comment

An easy pdf guide on how to use gedmatch is here http://dnaadoption.com/UsingGEDMatch.aspx

some online instructions to upload FTDNA data is here
                          http://dnaandfamilytreeresearch.blog...-gedmatch.html

Comment

Gedmatch

I have been waiting 4 or 5 days for my data to be tokenized. Maybe Gedmatch is not working well.

Comment

37 or 36 Comparison?

I used the 37 marker comparisons for uploading my FF DNA kit to Gedmatch. Had a few glitches but figured stuff out and all has been okay for me.
                              I noticed many people say they use the 36 markers and not to use 37??? I wonder about this aspect of uploading as my dear cousin is using 37 as instructed by me. She has had nothing but problems.
                              But it does appear to be Gedmatch itself, such as the server being down now. Any thots? When server is okay should she retry using 36, not 37?
                              Her kit is tokenized but it is not ready to compare 'One to Many'.

And I am a believer now. I am going straight to donating!!

Cindy

Comment

Working...
                              X