Kvetching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by keigh View Post
    My kvetch is that so many of my matches have no family tree or sometimes even ancestral surnames attached to them.
    Yes, it is maddening. Several of my very close matches will not reply in any way shape or form. Others who list ancestral names similar to my own,, but have no GEDCOM, will not reply to simple queries.

And then, as happened recently via Family Finder close cousin match with the exact same tree names, they asked for information which I gladly gave, and immediately they went silent and will not respond with similar help.

Why are they so secretive. They are parasites, feasting on other information without paying their own way, and not willing to disclose anything about family trees. This place is after all called FAMILY TREE DNA. So annoying. Worth a good kvetch or whatever ...

Comment

Colin,

Now now. I am sure they are just new or dead. If they are new, explain to them how to get the information into the right fields. If they are dead, well, there is really not much to be done. You can sometimes find old posts about family research using their e-mail address though.
      Originally posted by Mudgeeclarke View Post
      ...They are parasites, feasting on other information without paying their own way, and not willing to disclose anything about family trees...

Comment

Originally posted by Rebekah Canada View Post
        Colin,

Now now. I am sure they are just new or dead. .
        . Actually, Rebekah, some are not new, or dead. One, I tracked through other resources, and her secretary was the firewall. Like a good chap, I gave a lot, with the promise of a lot coming back. I won't do that again ! Another simply denied any connection, whilst taking my tree to that other place starting with A. Maybe "parasites" was too strong. Mean will suffice, I guess. My apologies to the parasites.

Have a great weekend, Rebekah, if you ever do take a day to yourself.
        Last edited by Mudgeeclarke; 15 March 2014, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Why did I bother to transfer my son's Geno 2.0 results. They don't show up anywhere

Comment

Questions for Rebekah

I know you have been "busy" on other matters Rebekah, but some time ago I posted a new thread on the Y-DNA sections that posed a couple of questions for you. To simplify matters I'll repost the questions here:

To increase the number of STR markers tested or not?
            (Text deleted)
            Questions to Rebekah:
            1. Is there any way of accessing the total FTDNA hg N result database without the very time consuming method of going through all individual Projects? - don't answer ysearch as they don't have all the results, there is no single hg N file, and with a different ID system duplicates from FTDNA files cannot easily be eliminated.
            2. On the Y-DNA match page you currently have a max. GD cut-off value for listing matches. Would it be possible to amend that to include the best match even though this is outside the current GD limit?

Comment

Originally posted by Rebekah Canada View Post
              Colin,

You can sometimes find old posts about family research using their e-mail address though.
              Yes, I have more luck by doing some sleuthing than contacting the matches themselves. I don't understand someone's reluctance to share a family tree as in most cases they can be recreated 1940 and prior. If only they would tell me their grandparents or great grandparents were so and so, or they are adopted, I would be happy. I took my tree down the other day and am a little reluctant to put it back. I will most likely will put my tree back up as I believe in Karma, those that share will receive and those that don't will be stuck in the mud!

Comment

Originally posted by ragnar View Post
                Why did I bother to transfer my son's Geno 2.0 results. They don't show up anywhere
                They do, you should have received an account number and password when you ordered the transfer. You log in with that information and you will some info. I did this with my dad. You do not get as much info as you wish you would get, but you do get some...and you definitely get a deep dive into the haplotrees.

Comment

Well I know the results from the Geno 2.0 site, but when I transferred the results to ftdna it just shows up on the order list & nowhere else. ???? It also says mtdna & batch 468, expected due date 2/25/14. Well, I did the transfer AFTER 2/25. Why are they doing mtdna? He has his mtdna years ago done by ftdna,(but not the full sequence). Since Geno 2.0 also did his mtdna, why is ftdna doing it AGAIN!!! All I wanted was his expanded Y haplogroup SNPs listed, but it's nowhere to be seen.
                  Last edited by ragnar; 21 March 2014, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X