Kvetching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kvetching

For anyone who doesn't know, 'Kvetching' means to complain or grumble or whine about something persistently.

It's an American-English term of Yiddish origin, according to Mr Google.

What exactly are we supposed to complain about here? FTDNA? the forum itself? our DNA? our stubborn ancestors whose parents can't be found? the weather?

Comment

Hi,

All of the above. You can even complain about the lack of snakes in Ireland if you so desire.
      Originally posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
      What exactly are we supposed to complain about here? FTDNA? the forum itself? our DNA? our stubborn ancestors whose parents can't be found? the weather?

Comment

Originally posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
        Okay! Now all of you can complain because I didn't read the top of the page BEFORE I posted!!!

Comment

Snakes in Ireland

Tá mé feargach toisc nach bhfuil aon nathracha in Éirinn.

Comment

Sometimes people's chutzpah leads them to kvetch when they should just express zitsfleisch. I fear I fall into that at times.
            Last edited by cybrsage; 5 March 2014, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Ysearch Kvetch

Been trying past couple of weeks to upload a gedcom for ysearch. Always get a 500 error. It's a kvetch.

Comment

Originally posted by blindgoose View Post
                Been trying past couple of weeks to upload a gedcom for ysearch. Always get a 500 error. It's a kvetch.
                Kvetch is the new password, probably ....

Item 2 ... How does one give any posting to a thread a thumbs up, instead of having to write jolly good show etc. ? Is there such a button to press? (Yes, I do know how to give the middle finger. ... ;-) )
                Last edited by Mudgeeclarke; 5 March 2014, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cybrsage View Post
                  Sometimes people's chutzpah leads them to kvetch when they should just express zitsfleisch. I fear I fall into that at times.
                  Oy vey!

Comment

Suggest you find a more understandable name for this particular section of the forum. Unless folks have read the initial post about kvetching the majority will have no clue what it is.

Comment

I'd never heard of the word kvetching either. A more universally understood title (Complaining Central perhaps) might be preferable.

My chief complaint is about all the complainers. There seem to be far too many people who want to complain at the slightest little thing and then don't believe what they've been told. Perhaps the kvetching board should be balanced by a thank you board where people can express their appreciation about things that they like.

Comment

DevonHistorian: Well said! And yes, it is a matter of perception. Is the glass half full, or half empty?

Comment

Well said, DevonHistorian!
                          My complaint is directed towards people who constantly complain about anything in this forum, too.

And I take this opportunity to congratulate Rebekah for the great job she is doing here. I really appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudgeeclarke View Post
                            Kvetch is the new password, probably ....

Item 2 ... How does one give any posting to a thread a thumbs up, instead of having to write jolly good show etc. ? Is there such a button to press? (Yes, I do know how to give the middle finger. ... ;-) )
                            Most likely it will appear in the new version they are trying to upgrade to. It is a feature that can be turned on.

Comment

"Kvetch" is a fine word. My kvetches follow.

I like the word "kvetch". Much more fun than "complain".

My kvetches all concern Family Finder and they are:
                              1. The X matches that I've been getting seem too small to be IBD. Why are such tiny segments reported? I just delete them before adding a match to my spreadsheet. Don't most people do the same?
                              2. Why does FTDNA report all those tiny insignificant segments for a regular autosomal match? I delete those as well.
                              3. Related to #2, why does FTDNA require the 20 cM total for a match to be identified as such? Why not just require a segment of at least X cM to declare a match?

I'm new to the boards here and am sure my questions have been asked numerous times before. Thanks in advance for your patience.

Lou

Comment

Working...
                              X