Suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion

It would be so nice if for the price 200-250 EUR you get your real Y DNA( for example I get J2 for Y DNA and H(CRS) for MT DNA, it is kinda sad. I wanna now if I am J2a, J2b etc,without spending a fortune. Also % European,Asian etc would be nice. Cheers! So a test that says exact DNA and % European,Asian for price around 250 would be really cool,kinda like 23andme.

If you think you are helping this other company, think again.
    I wouldn't test with them if they were the last company around.

Comment

What?? You speak funny? What other company? I want to know my Y DNA and MT DNA and % of European, Asian etc I make a suggestion.This is what should be important! I do not carry about companies! I have tested with Family Tree so I stick to it, because 23andme is only with credit card. I care about myself,my family and my friends,no companies! Explain yourself!!

I try to have discussion, but apparently this is not a place where you can discuss with people. Sad!
      Last edited by Yaan; 12 February 2012, 03:09 PM.

Comment

I think that what darroll was getting at is that you want Family Tree DNA to provide the same results that 23andMe does and at a lower price, but that darroll would not recommend 23andMe. These two companies use different methods to provide results and make their money differently. 23andMe makes additional money through their health related data while ftDNA is focused on genealogy and makes money on test purchases. Thus, the tests here do cost more. However, their testing is more accurate (I'm not big on the science, maybe someone else can explain that).

Everyone would love a cheaper test to provides more results, but it's just going to be a matter of waiting for prices to go down over time. You can often save money by buying bundled tests, though that does cost more up front.

I'm not sure - have you tested with 23andMe? You can transfer your results here for $89 to get your cousins and ethnicity test.

Comment

Originally posted by vrc84 View Post
          I think that what darroll was getting at is that you want Family Tree DNA to provide the same results that 23andMe does and at a lower price, but that darroll would not recommend 23andMe. These two companies use different methods to provide results and make their money differently. 23andMe makes additional money through their health related data while ftDNA is focused on genealogy and makes money on test purchases. Thus, the tests here do cost more. However, their testing is more accurate (I'm not big on the science, maybe someone else can explain that).

Everyone would love a cheaper test to provides more results, but it's just going to be a matter of waiting for prices to go down over time. You can often save money by buying bundled tests, though that does cost more up front.

I'm not sure - have you tested with 23andMe? You can transfer your results here for $89 to get your cousins and ethnicity test.
          No I have tested only here! And I payed the same price as the others pay for 23andme, but I did not get a credit card and I think here is better. I do not want at a lower price then 23andme.But here they say J2,what is this this is nothing it is like R1,but is it R1a or R1b it is so different,that is what I meant. I am sticking to Family Tree but I am kinda sad and frustreted that I pay good price and got the vague J2 and H CRS, it is like if somebody ask where am I from and the answer is Europe,not the exact country.Do you see my point?Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Jizo View Post
            What?? You speak funny? What other company? I want to know my Y DNA and MT DNA and % of European, Asian etc I make a suggestion.This is what should be important! I do not carry about companies! I have tested with Family Tree so I stick to it, because 23andme is only with credit card. I care about myself,my family and my friends,no companies! Explain yourself!!

I try to have discussion, but apparently this is not a place where you can discuss with people. Sad!
            Don't be intimidated by Darroll. He acts like the self-appointed defender of Family Tree DNA and the Genographic Project against anyone who mentions another company. Most posters here are friendly and helpful and willing to consider ideas from you and others.

Many people who post here have tested at other companies, myself included, but are still loyal customers of FTDNA. You put it well. People test their DNA because they are mainly interested in their family. They don't do it to be part of the FTDNA or 23andMe "team" and cheer for their "team" and against other "teams."

Comment

No I have tested only here! And I payed the same price as the others pay for 23andme, but I did not get a credit card and I think here is better. I do not want at a lower price then 23andme.But here they say J2,what is this this is nothing it is like R1,but is it R1a or R1b it is so different,that is what I meant. I am sticking to Family Tree but I am kinda sad and frustreted that I pay good price and got the vague J2 and H CRS, it is like if somebody ask where am I from and the answer is Europe,not the exact country.Do you see my point?Cheers!
              Is it the case that your results have no subclades, like perhaps J2a4b or H3 that bothers you? OR is it because there is no research as to your specific origins, like a specific ethnic group based on a full examination of your DNA?

Comment

I've tested some uncles and cousins and they came back R1b1. This is the largest haplogroup in Europe and hardly tells me anything. For more information I've payed $89 each for deep clade testing. Even with this I'm spending more money for even more specific tests. I still don't have a country.

It looks like J2 is giving your more exact results. From wikipedia: "Haplogroup J2 is found mainly in the Fertile Crescent, the Caucasus, Anatolia, the Balkans, Italy, the Mediterranean littoral, and the Iranian plateau." Check out more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_J2_(Y-DNA)

I understand that it can be frustrating to pay your money and not have that easy answer. It's a stated a bit vaguely, but it does say that the y-DNA tests tells you your "Predicted Haplogroup - This is your predicted place on the paternal genetic tree of humankind." They could add more information to this that says that more testing may be (will be) required for more exact information.

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
                  Don't be intimidated by Darroll. He acts like the self-appointed defender of Family Tree DNA and the Genographic Project against anyone who mentions another company. Most posters here are friendly and helpful and willing to consider ideas from you and others.

Many people who post here have tested at other companies, myself included, but are still loyal customers of FTDNA. You put it well. People test their DNA because they are mainly interested in their family. They don't do it to be part of the FTDNA or 23andMe "team" and cheer for their "team" and against other "teams."
                  Mike, thank you for the reasoned, conciliatory approach you took in your response. I wish the same could be said of all FTDNA customers/project administrators, since Darroll's not the only one who has falsely accused others of being in the tank for 23 simply for stating facts. I'm getting quite tired of some of the attitudes around here, and when a relatively new customer gets slammed, I think it's time for those at the top to address this issue.
                  Last edited by vinnie; 12 February 2012, 11:26 PM.

Comment

I've tested some uncles and cousins and they came back R1b1. This is the largest haplogroup in Europe and hardly tells me anything. For more information I've payed $89 each for deep clade testing. Even with this I'm spending more money for even more specific tests. I still don't have a country.

It looks like J2 is giving your more exact results. From wikipedia: "Haplogroup J2 is found mainly in the Fertile Crescent, the Caucasus, Anatolia, the Balkans, Italy, the Mediterranean littoral, and the Iranian plateau." Check out more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_J2_(Y-DNA)

I understand that it can be frustrating to pay your money and not have that easy answer. It's a stated a bit vaguely, but it does say that the y-DNA tests tells you your "Predicted Haplogroup - This is your predicted place on the paternal genetic tree of humankind." They could add more information to this that says that more testing may be (will be) required for more exact information.
                    Hi vrc84,

If you're sure that all of your R1b1 uncles and cousins all come from the same common male ancestor, then you need to deepclade test only one of them to determine the deepclade (subclade) for all of them. Also, yes, I agree with you that there should be more information stating that additional testing may be required to know more exact information. Have you joined your relatives to the R1b projects yet? Those administrators should be able to help you with more information. Here's the link to one of the projects; perhaps someone more knowledgable about R1b can help you more.

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/r1b/
                    Last edited by vinnie; 12 February 2012, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnLloydScharf View Post
                      Is it the case that your results have no subclades, like perhaps J2a4b or H3 that bothers you? OR is it because there is no research as to your specific origins, like a specific ethnic group based on a full examination of your DNA?
                      Yeah that is what boders me I wanna know J2a4 and H2 or H5 for example. If I know this I will be happy! I know I am Bulgarian so I do not care what they will say, nation and genes have nothing to do with each other! Cheers!

Comment

Thanks!But in my case they say J2 and J2a and J2b are different.My matches are mostly J2a4h so this is what I should be too, but still. In 23andme you pay once, they say to you exact Y and MT DNA, % European, Asian etc. Color of eyes and skin,all interesting things which I wanna nknow.Here is to search for family and I do not care about this that much. Cheers!
                        As for you case I think there are two R1b in Europe one is Germanic and Celtic and is big in Netherlands, Germany,Denmark,the other is celtic Roman and is big in South and Central Europe. Also R1b is big in Central Asia. Cheers
                        You might wanna visit this site .Hope you find some answers http://www.eupedia.com/europe/origin...s_europe.shtml

Comment

Yeah that is what boders me I wanna know J2a4 and H2 or H5 for example. If I know this I will be happy! I know I am Bulgarian so I do not care what they will say, nation and genes have nothing to do with each other! Cheers!
                          For the mtDNA, have you tried inputting your results into James Lick's mthap tool? It can often narrow down your subclade more than FTDNA shows on your account.

Also, have you joined any of the J Y-DNA projects or H mtDNA projects? Some of the haplogroup project admins can pretty reliably predict your subclade.

Comment

Working...
                          X