Full member list not displaying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full member list not displaying

I'm an admin on a y-DNA project which includes a number of members who don't have y-DNA tests but who are interested in the surname and in working on confirming or disproving connections between families. They've always appeared in the "Member Information" list with notes against their names to record their interest and their connections. Recently, they've disappeared from the FTDNA listing and I now have no way of identifying or contacting them. Does anyone have a workaround, or has this been reported as a bug?

Are they FTDNA customers?

Comment

Jim, I've just realised that apparently they are not ... I had no idea that it was possible to route a join request through FTDNA without actually having a kit of any sort at all.

Comment

I looked back over my join request. Some don't have kit numbers, but I don't believe they ever showed up on the project member list until they ordered a kit or started a transfer.

Comment

I contacted the most recent person without a kit whose request had been approved, and they said they couldn't actually log in to the project, just kept getting routed back to the "Submit Join Request" page. So I guess they're not really members at all.
          (And the "No. of members" count actually means the no. of approved requests rather than the number of people who have access to the project.)

Comment

By 'project' do you mean a FTDNA Surname Project or do you mean the public website created for the project?

FTDNA kit holders should be able to sign into their kits using their kit ID and password. A kit holder has: purchased a kit or has transferred data from another company. I don't know of any way a non kit holder can submit a join request. I am assuming kit holders and admins are protecting their IDs and passwords.

Sending you an email asking to be allowed to join the project is not what FTDNA calls a join request. To FTDNA the admin can sign into the GAP and send a join request to a kit holder or a kit holder can sign into their kit a submit a join request.

Comment

I assume that anyone who has purchased a kit (and thus has a kit no, and a password) can sign in. I've certainly never had any complaints from anyone about that.

However, anyone can go to the public website created for the project and hit the "Join" button. They get a pop-up which says sign in here if you've purchased a kit, or else click here over here to purchase a kit if you haven't already done so. If they click on the link to purchase a kit, it takes them to a page with a "project join request form". They can fill that out with just name and email address and hit the submit button. Evidently FTDNA routes this through to the project, whether or not the person submitting the request purchases a kit or not. And hence the confusion.

Comment

To clarify, it's the people who have not purchased kits who are not showing up on the members list, and I now understand the reason why.

But it is completely possible for a non-kit holder to submit a join request, which is why you've also got people without kit numbers on your join request list.

Comment

I tested this for two different projects. In each case if I said I had a kit I was taken to the sign in page. If I said I didn't have a kit I was taken to a page to order a kit.

Comment

This is the sort of page I get sent to by clicking the option for someone who doesn't have a kit : https://www.familytreedna.com/projec...group=Thompson

It is possible to order a kit from this page, but not required. The join request can be sent regardless.

Comment

It's easily demonstrated by sending a join request from the public page - without ordering a kit - to a project you administer. You'll see it come up.

Comment

Then the admin shouldn't accept the request if the person doesn't have a kit. The admin should send the person to the page to order a kit first, which is where they would be sent for the projects I tested.

Comment

That is indeed the mistake I was mistaking. As I said, I hadn't realised until now that it was possible to submit a join request through FTDNA without having purchased a kit.

Comment

Working...
                          X