Granting access to my kit page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Granting access to my kit page

Is there a way to give someone access to my page that is read only? Familysearch.org has what they call a Helper number you give people for this feature, wondering if we have something similar here.

When you say "access to my page," to which page in your account do you refer? Do you mean your home page ("Dashboard")? Or maybe your family tree at FTDNA? If you wish to share your tree, there is a link on your myFamilyTree page, "Share Tree," which will give you a pop-up window with a link to share with others. The only other thing I've seen that you can "share," without access to the full account, is a link in the "mtDNA Full Sequence Video" page, to share the video (available only if you've done an mtDNA Full Sequence test).

Having access to the home page, or any other page, of your account requires someone to login. There is no way to give read-only access for an FTDNA account*. You can give someone who you presumably trust access to your login information, which is your kit number and password, but that is not read-only, and not advisable. If you did, that person would then have access to all parts of your account, and could change something, including the password. There is currently no other mechanism for sharing your account.

If there is a reason you wish to share information from your account with someone who is advising you, but you don't want to give them full access to your account, I suppose you could download your match list(s), take screenshots (of trees, chromosome browser comparisons, etc.), and share information that way.

Comparing giving access to your account at FamilySearch vs. at FTDNA is comparing two different things. While you can have a tree at both places, FTDNA primarily has information associated with your DNA, where FamilySearch does not. A FamilySearch account is for access to records, and to a tree if you choose to keep a tree there.

*see the next two posts; only project admins may have access
    Last edited by KATM; 23rd February 2020, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Only Administrators of group projects can be granted access rights to your results without giving someone your login password

FTDNA does not have the option of sharing results with others outside their FTDNA projects.
      Even then, Each member of project are limited to what they see of other members (yNDA strs, mtDNA HVR1/HVR2 results)
      only admins of projects see match lists and other info based on level of access granted

Comment

Originally posted by prairielad View Post
        Only Administrators of group projects can be granted access rights to your results without giving someone your login password

FTDNA does not have the option of sharing results with others outside their FTDNA projects.
        Even then, Each member of project are limited to what they see of other members (yNDA strs, mtDNA HVR1/HVR2 results)
        only admins of projects see match lists and other info based on level of access granted
        prairielad is correct. I meant to add information about project administrators' having access, but wasn't sure if N52189 was in a project. Haplogroup.org has a guide about settings for project admin access.

Comment

Originally posted by prairielad View Post

In your opinion would project admins share your info with law enforcement?

Comment

I just wanted to know if the site had a "read only" type of access to my Home page. The reason would be to protect my personal information as well as avoiding accidental changes. I have a new match with my surname and at a fairly detailed level. I believe it will help my genealogy and I want to show them my matches in the BigY700. It could be done and I believe it would be a benefit.

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenn4ever View Post

In your opinion would project admins share your info with law enforcement?
              I would say no, FTDNA has strict guidelines they must follow (privacy),

but there are always the what ifs.....

Comment

FTR, in my opinion the content of ones page doesn't matter here versus familysearch.org. If I wanted to grant access because FTDNA had a similar "read only" set up that is up to me. Im sure familytree assigns what they call a "Helper number" to every registered account. The "Helper" is given your user name and that number as the password and they login in. Behind the scenes in the IT world part of the site when a person logins in with a Helper Number it is read only. I am by no means a computer wizard, far far far from it, but I have been around IT folks for 20+ years and now that it is not only doable but easily doable.

If any of you are Admins can you suggest this to the powers that be?

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                X