Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Kits for Family members - How does it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Kits for Family members - How does it work?

looking for clarity on when a kit is ordered for a family member. i'm "assuming" that FTDNA will set them up with their own account and login details? I've seen nothing to suggest that except confirmation of the order placed and the kit being shipped.

Thanks

You ordered these directly, through the regular ordering links? You gave FTDNA your own e-mail address? or that of the person to be tested? Each confirmation message should have included an account number and password. Look through the messages carefully if they went to you instead of the people to be tested. You need to pass on this sign-in info to the recipients if they are going to manage their own kits. They can then change their personal contact information to whatever they wish, whenever they wish.

The account numbers are 6 decimal digits. Or sometimes 2 letters and 5 digits. The passwords look like 6 hex digits. At least this used to be the case.

You also need to alert the recipients to check the bar codes on the various tubes and packets to see that they match the exact account number for the person being swabbed. !!! There will be no name on the actual kit. If you have multiple kits going to the same household it is important that they do not mix them up. 1 account number = 1 specific person. The permission slips need to be signed. And it is probably a good idea to photocopy the packets before mailing back (though I have never remembered to do that). Also they may sit in the post office in Houston for quite a long time before they are actually delivered.

Examples of order confirmations:

Thank you for ordering the Family Finder, Domestic Shipping tests. Your kit number is xxxxxx and your password is xxxxxx.
    The price of your order is $xx.xx
    The credit card ending in ... will be charged.
    or
    Thank you for your order. Your kit numbers and passwords are listed below.
    Kit Number Password Order
    LLxxxxx xxxxxx Family Finder, Domestic Shipping
    The price of your order is $xxx.xx.
    The credit card ending in ... will be charged.

Comment

Originally posted by Gisse View Post
      looking for clarity on when a kit is ordered for a family member. i'm "assuming" that FTDNA will set them up with their own account and login details?
      Thanks
      As abuelita explained - no, that is not exactly true. The Account was set up when you placed the order, the Account Number is called Kit Number at FTDNA, and it and the login details were sent with the confirmation. They were definitely sent to the person who ordered the Kit and paid the bill -- a copy may also have been sent to the recipient of the Kit, if you included a different e-mail there. Exactly what they send to which e-mail when you include a second e-mail - either one for order, one for recipient or more than one for one or both of those - is not clear to me, seems to have changed over time, and I would love to be clear on it. Definitely do touch base with them, and share the info with them if they did not get their own e-mail copy.

Comment

thanks everyday, I've got it now, think I must be have been having a 'slow' day or something, in hindsight my question was pretty obvious ! But thank you all the same and thanks for the tips..

Comment

Working...
        X