Y-DNA Report Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y-DNA Report Option

The current Y-DNA Report includes a column for Paternal Ancestor Name, which is pulled directly from the Kit Owner's profile.

Project administrators used to have access to this data, and were able to update that information to match whatever standard was used in our surname project.

The new recommended/limited access for group project admins no longer allows those updates. This results in blank data, wrong data, unformatted data, or incompatible data.

As an alternative, I would like to see an optional column for use in projects by admins. This column could /should be able to be utilized in the Public and Group YDNA Results charts instead of the Paternal Ancestor Name or in addition to the Paternal Ancestor Name.

This lets the group administrator document whatever paternal ancestor/couple are applicable to their group project.
    • Cases where the participant's surname may not match, yet their Y-DNA is associated with a specific ancestral family within our project
    • Participant has incorrect data in their tree or Paternal Ancestor Name and does not follow through with correcting it.
    • Project like mine, which also review participants with Family Finder / Autosomal Transfers. Their Paternal Ancestors may not even apply to my project. Would like option to list their Project Related Ancestors.
    Having this option would allow group admins to set up their project related ancestor lists in whatever manner fits with their project.

I'd like to see a view everything but change nothing option. I don't believe admins should be able to change any of the members information without the members permission. As admins, we can always ask the member to change the information.

Comment

Just to clarify... I am suggesting an additional/optional column visible to Project Admins.
      This way the member can continue to list their ancestors however they want, and the admins are able to notate the ancestors that are applicable to their project.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
        I'd like to see a view everything but change nothing option. I don't believe admins should be able to change any of the members information without the members permission. As admins, we can always ask the member to change the information.
        I wasn't aware of this. I am now removing myself from all projects and the other kits that I also manage - I don't mind sharing but for information to be manipulated, a step too far.

Comment

The information can be manipulated only if you give the admin "Advanced" access.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
            The information can be manipulated only if you give the admin "Advanced" access.
            I removed myself and the other kits from all projects - I didn't mind sharing and people seeing but to manipulate regardless that we have an option to opt out of Advanced Access is just too invasive for my liking.

Comment

Members should be able to list their direct Paternal Ancestors however they want. This is not a request to manipulate anyone's personal data.

The point is to avoid project members having to update or change their own data by providing project admins a column to document the member's ancestors that apply to that particular project.

Having joined a group project, I assume that you would want the project administrator to know and be able to trace the basic information on how your ancestor/s apply to that project so your results can be analyzed in the right context.

For example, if my direct ancestors are of the Smith surname, but I have joined the Jones project, the admin will want to document the identities of my earliest Jones ancestors for reference. The Smith ancestors listed in my Furthest Ancestor Name section would not apply.

Last edited by AnnGU3; 20th June 2019, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AnnGU3 View Post
                Members should be able to list their direct Paternal Ancestors however they want. This is not a request to manipulate anyone's personal data.

The point is to avoid project members having to update or change their own data by providing project admins a column to document the member's ancestors that apply to that particular project.

Having joined a group project, I assume that you would want the project administrator to know and be able to trace the basic information on how your ancestor/s apply to that project so your results can be analyzed in the right context.

For example, if my direct ancestors are of the Smith surname, but I have joined the Jones project, the admin will want to document the identities of my earliest Jones ancestors for reference. The Smith ancestors listed in my Furthest Ancestor Name section would not apply.
                I use the "Members Notes" page for information like this. It under Members Reports on the GAP page..

Comment

Originally posted by rivergirl View Post

I use the "Members Notes" page for information like this. It under Members Reports on the GAP page..
                  Yes, I do too, but it would be nice to have a column so the the key couple/ancestors appear next to the data in the chart for easy reference without having to look it up every time. It does not change access. It just makes the data more convenient as a time saver. There are over 700 members in my project, so having a quick view column would make analysis and review much easier. That way the data is organized according to the groups and subgroups set up for the project.

Comment

I am wondering if that same additional column - or another similar - could be used in Family Finder Projects - so we could create groups / indicate which branch folks are on, etc

Comment

Originally posted by loobster View Post
                      I am wondering if that same additional column - or another similar - could be used in Family Finder Projects - so we could create groups / indicate which branch folks are on, etc
                      Yes! That is exactly why I am requesting the column. That way we have a spot to put the project-related ancestors versus seeing only the furthest ancestor listed by the participant, which may not apply to the project at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X