Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Not Upload Raw Data

Good Day
    I have been trying for the last few days to upload my raw data, I have seen that people had the same problem producing a message

"The specified file 'dna-data-2018-12-27.zip' could not be uploaded. The file is an unsupported version or in a corrupt/malformed format. Please place an order for Family Finder or download the file and try again."

I tryed the suggestions and had loaded to file to Map My 23 and tryed loading that file, that did not work, I tryed downloading the file again on 3 diffrent days and still same problem, I have also got the same error with my brothers raw data trying to upload to his account, A friend of mine tryed and his worked no problems, We all took are test with Ancestry the same time, and all got are results within a day of each other so I dont see that ancesty might have changed anything, also the one that had loaded had recived his rersults after ares ( 1 day after)

If anyone has any suggestions that would be apreacheated
    Thanks
    B

FTDNA is obstinate and incompetent when it comes to handling the upload of Ancestry raw data files. FTDNA refuses to do the work that would serve their own best interests.

I suggest you do free uploads to MyHeritage and Genesis GEDmatch. MyHeritage has DNA matching and contacting for free. Refer to https://blog.myheritage.com/2018/12/...upload-policy/.

Comment

I wish FTDNA would do the same thing 23andMe and Ancestry do. Do not accept transferred data. Maybe, just maybe, people would stop complaining about FTDNA's lack of effort on this matter.

To the OP, I suggest you buy a Family Finder kit from FTDNA. I'll guarantee you'll get more matches at FTDNA than you will with transferred results from Ancestry's new test.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
        I wish FTDNA would do the same thing 23andMe and Ancestry do. Do not accept transferred data. Maybe, just maybe, people would stop complaining about FTDNA's lack of effort on this matter.

To the OP, I suggest you buy a Family Finder kit from FTDNA. I'll guarantee you'll get more matches at FTDNA than you will with transferred results from Ancestry's new test.
        Hi Jim, In this case i have to disagree with you, you might be right that i might find more matches, but to run what I have against the database should help if someone is here and not in Ancestry, On the same note I do believe it is wrong that Ancestry does not except raw data from other company, we live in a time where data is vary valuable, and yes we pay these company's to extract are data (dna in this case) FTDA should be happy that people would want to give then there data for free, and not have to extract it or do anything, It only grows there data base and helps them in the long run, He with the biggest data base wins,

Comment

Originally posted by bmckee901 View Post

Hi Jim, In this case i have to disagree with you, you might be right that i might find more matches, but to run what I have against the database should help if someone is here and not in Ancestry, On the same note I do believe it is wrong that Ancestry does not except raw data from other company, we live in a time where data is vary valuable, and yes we pay these company's to extract are data (dna in this case) FTDA should be happy that people would want to give then there data for free, and not have to extract it or do anything, It only grows there data base and helps them in the long run, He with the biggest data base wins,
          But, the test from FTDNA yields better data. A collection of poor data isn't worth anything.

Comment

Originally posted by bmckee901 View Post

The point you're missing, Jim, is that no one company has a pool of ALL the data. Some of our matches tested at Ancestry. Some at MyHeritage. Some at FTDNA. Yes, Gedmatch is useful - but they still may not have transferred. If you're trying to break down a "Brick Wall" in your Ancestry, you need to check against matches in ALL the pools. Each Every Genetic Genealogy site will tell you the same thing.

That's why FTDNA provided the capability to begin with, and why they should maintain it. It would be quite disappointing if they dropped that capability.

Yes, perhaps the quality is or isn't better at one company or another. But that's irrelevant. It's about matching. I know some are interested in the longer term research of Haplogroups and Origins - I am one. But the Meat and Potatoes of this business is the Genealogy connection - and without that, you'd be hard pressed to get most people to test at all.

Comment

Believe me, I am well aware of the fact that each company has a different database. I have tested at 23andMe, Ancestry and FTDNA and uploaded my FTDNA data to MyHeritage. The quality of a companies test may be irrelevant to you. It isn't to me. I want the best results possible from each company. The way to get the best results from FTDNA is to test at FTDNA.

Comment

Working...
              X