Contact - Email address's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contact - Email address's

I've noticed of late an increase of testers email address's not appearing in our match list. For example, my most recent page has 5 folks with only 'mailto:' - no email address. I dont know if the email address is no longer compulsory or what is going on but we should at least have the opportunity to contact folks from our end, after all what is DNA without being able to message our matches.

If the kit owner isn't going to respond, what good is an email address? If they remove their email address I don't waste my time writing an email!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
      If the kit owner isn't going to respond, what good is an email address? If they remove their email address I don't waste my time writing an email!
      Well obviously.

The point being all testers should at least be made to provide an email, or for ftDNA having some system whereby a correspondence can at least be initiated. Just like on all other DNA sites.

Comment

You can lead a horse to water. . . and so it is with our matches. I'm not sure how FTDNA could force customers provide an email address in their profiles. A lot of people only test to see the ethnicity results, and don't want to hear from anyone otherwise. It's possible that FTDNA's office may have an email on file, so if a match seems important enough to go to the trouble, you could try contacting FTDNA and seeing if they could forward your message or email address to the match. I'm not sure if they would do that, though. Maybe if you can see if they've tested Y-DNA or mtDNA, you could somehow find out if they're in a project (haplogroup or surname), and try to see if the project admins can forward a message to them.

Bottom line, it's the match's decision, and a shame when people take a DNA test for genealogy, but refuse to put an email address to communicate. Even if FTDNA had a system for you to send a message to a match, if the match was the type who wouldn't put an email address, he or she might also be equally non-responsive to an internal message.

Comment

Mom finally got some new matches yesterday and 3 of them had no email address!!! That seems like a lot and a huge increase in the percentage of people not providing email addresses all of a sudden. Oddly one of them provided a small surname list. There were always a few who didn't provide an address, but they were rare.

Has FTDNA changed some wording somewhere that may be causing confusion?

Comment

FTDNA does require an email address when kits are ordered. FTDNA has no way to FORCE the customer to leave the email address attached.

Comment

I know that people can delete their email any time they want. They've always been able to do that. I'm just wondering about what seems to be a sudden huge increase in the no. of people who choose to do it.

Comment

In this most recent group of 10 new matches that Mom received, 4 have no email address. That's almost half. Of the 50 matches preceding these last 10, everyone has an email address listed.

It just seems like something must have happened to trigger this big a difference.

Comment

FTDNA says, "This is, obviously, a bug that we've been made aware of. "

Comment

Looks like this has been resolved.

Thankyou.

Comment

I just wish people would answer emails. Even a no thank you, not interested in knowing.

Comment

Working...
                      X