Expanding yDNA Match List to Include Entire Macro Clade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expanding yDNA Match List to Include Entire Macro Clade

Running into an aggravating situation. I am using yDNA for deep ancestry research as long as 2,000 years or more. The problem is that the yDNA match list doesn't produce matches that are this far back in time. The way to fix this would be a minor tweak to your yDNA search algorithm which brings up all matches within the macro haplogroup. For instance, if my haplogroup is J-S12192 then the match list will include all matches which are in J-M267 or any of its sub-groups. A main point of yDNA research is to be able to go deep. The way things are set up now defeats this purpose. I'm posting this here by way of a suggestion box. If there is a better way of making this request, please advise. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Adam View Post
    If there is a better way of making this request, please advise. Thanks in advance.
    Contact them directly using the Customer Support link at the top of the page.

Comment

I think that could work as an optional drop down. The danger would be that there could be so many matches where you are a member of a very popular subclade. It would need to be limited back in time to an SNP that formed around 2 to 3K YBP. I also think it would be advantageous to be able to exclude STR matches that belong to different branches which are not part of your own confirmed haplotree. Because of STR marker divergence , even at Y67 I have matches @ -7 that belong to related but clearly differing branches of the haplotree. Y67 should indicate connectivity within the last 500 to 800 years in my expectation but according to yfull the other haplotypes have diverged from mine around 1800 YBP yet still appear as matches at Y67

Comment

Working...
      X