GEDmatch Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GEDmatch Kits

Suggestion - is it feasible that FTDNA Members could enter an associated GEDmatch Kit No on their Profile?

I use the Advanced Search feature regularly and if I click on a Match it would be a great help if the Pop-Up Profile showed whether they have Uploaded to GEDmatch.

I have just added my Kit No to my Forum User Title above as an example.
    dagian
    R-M269/ GEDmatch T877951
    Last edited by dagian; 5 September 2018, 07:41 PM. Reason: added last line.

I very definitely do not think it is something that FTDNA should require.
    And do not think I want them prioritizing programming time to create a special spot for it.

BUT - no reason you can't spread the word how to add the info as you did, and suggesting folks do that and/or add the info to show in the About section of their Profile (and probably explain how to do that as well - since think they changed how we enter info there recently)

Comment

Perhaps when the do the Forum update this month, they will allow/restore options such as a signature line, user picture, or some other place for putting haplogroups, GEDmatch ID #s, or other things.

Comment

I should add that publicly sharing a GEDmatch kit number is fine, but please do not confuse it with, or encourage the sharing of, FTDNA kit numbers! I have seen posts in project feeds where people share their FTDNA kit number, and sometimes even in Facebook groups. Yikes!

For security reasons, those kit numbers should never be shared, as they are used for logging in to a user's account.

Comment

Originally posted by KATM View Post
          I should add that publicly sharing a GEDmatch kit number is fine, but please do not confuse it with, or encourage the sharing of, FTDNA kit numbers! I have seen posts in project feeds where people share their FTDNA kit number, and sometimes even in Facebook groups. Yikes!

For security reasons, those kit numbers should never be shared, as they are used for logging in to a user's account.
          Yes, but you also need the Password - so probably not a big security problem if they are shared - just useless (unless it happens you know or can figure out their password).

Comment

I share any Privacy or Security concerns that any Member might have and hopefully have only encouraged debate on what may be a help to others.

I consider myself still very much a DNA Novice .. I am also trying to use what little knowledge I have of excel to produce my own way of analysing my Matches. I produce Spreadsheets which consolidate the known Matches I have from different Sources - ie. FTDNA/GEDmatch/My Heritage; the Matches are grouped together with the Chromosome information, Contact, triangulation, known relationship, FF or and YDNA etc. This, I hope will eventually allow me to correctly identify which Maternal/Paternal Branch(es) my Matches are from.

I do have a another reason .. I have taken a Y-DNA 111 test to try and find my unknown Great Grandfather. It revealed 2 names (same), 1 at GD7 and 1 at GD9. The GD7 has not responded and the GD9 (who has responded) appears to be too far back with no Paper Trail that can be established. My hope is that my Spreadsheet may eventually lead me to a unknown family branch that would be that of my NPE.

I am 'an old dog trying to learn new tricks' so the Kit Number suggestion may only be relevant to what I am doing but I thought it was worth a mention.

Comment

Originally posted by loobster View Post
              I very definitely do not think it is something that FTDNA should require.
              I don't post my Gedmatch kit# anywhere. It's not only for my privacy - it's for my matches' privacy. I do, however, provide it to people who ask for it because they think we might be genetically connected

Comment

Originally posted by Fern View Post
                I don't post my Gedmatch kit# anywhere. It's not only for my privacy - it's for my matches' privacy. I do, however, provide it to people who ask for it because they think we might be genetically connected
                Probably a good policy since you can lookup the email address associated with it if you have a GEDmatch kit number.

Jack

Comment

Working...
                X