Forum update feature requests?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum update feature requests?

Darren posted in a recent thread that the FTDNA forums will be updated soon. Would it be appropriate for forum members to post things that they'd either like to be improved, or added, to the functionality of the forums? I hope Darren will agree to let us add our thoughts.

One thing I would like is the ability to "ignore" a thread. I usually click on the handy "New Posts" link to see any new threads, or new posts to existing threads, since my last check. There are typically a couple of threads where only one person has posted all the posts, or for a topic I'd rather not read, but these threads will keep coming up as "new posts" unless I go to the trouble of clicking to see them, then quickly hitting the back button, to make it seem as if I read them. If there was a way to mark them, so I wouldn't keep seeing them, I'd like that. Just a little pet peeve.

I also wouldn't mind if we could once again post a profile picture, or put a "signature" line or user title. I know some might not care for those things.

I'm sure others have more important requests!

That is certainly fine and the forum feedback is welcome. The current site is run on an old vBulletin platform and I believe it will be an upgrade to the latest version. If you have suggestions, please post them here and I am happy to pass them along.

-Darren
    Family Tree DNA

Comment

Originally posted by KATM View Post
      One thing I would like is the ability to "ignore" a thread. I usually click on the handy "New Posts" link to see any new threads, or new posts to existing threads, since my last check. There are typically a couple of threads where only one person has posted all the posts, or for a topic I'd rather not read, but these threads will keep coming up as "new posts" unless I go to the trouble of clicking to see them, then quickly hitting the back button, to make it seem as if I read them. If there was a way to mark them, so I wouldn't keep seeing them, I'd like that. Just a little pet peeve.
      Yes there is one in "Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Basics" with 147 replies. I believe 99% are from the same person. I read the Forum each morning, always skipping that thread. I also skip the two "Current Batch Number" threads. When I finish reading what I want to read I click on the "Mark Threads Read" near the bottom of the Forum, therefore I don't need to open and close a thread of no interest.

Comment

Interesting! I see the link "Mark Forums Read," but had never noticed it before. I'll try it and see if it helps. Thanks, Jim Barrett.

Comment

When I log in, I click on New Posts and read those in which I have an interest; then I log out.

Then the next time I log in, and click on New Posts, I only get the new posts that are new since I last visited the site. I.e., the unviewed posts from my prior log-in have disappeared, and do not carry over. Instead, it will say, "There are no unread threads."

I do not know if the graphics we are shown in the Forum are unique to our computer and/or browser. I use Windows and Firefox.
          Last edited by Biblioteque; 31st August 2018, 04:43 PM.

Comment

I posted this in another thread, but thought I had better post it here also, in order to have all the requests in one place:

I hope it's nothing like last time they updated the forum! It was awful, and some people said they would never use the forum again. And they may never have come back to discover that FTDNA had toned down the colors.

Please remember visual ergonomics and senior citizens! No extreme color contrast, or black or white text on bright or dark colors. Your 25 year old programmers may think it looks cool, but older eyes have problems with it!

The old forum had few sub-forums. I think they over did it when they subdivided topics. That just confuses people who are new to both DNA testing and the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Biblioteque View Post
              When I log in, I click on New Posts and read those in which I have an interest; then I log out.

Then the next time I log in, and click on New Posts, I only get the new posts that are new since I last visited the site. I.e., the unviewed posts from my prior log-in have disappeared, and do not carry over. Instead, it will say, "There are no unread threads."

I do not know if the graphics we are shown in the Forum are unique to our computer and/or browser. I use Windows and Firefox.
              That explains my problem. Apparently it would work as you say, if I'd just log out more often!

Comment

Sad to admit this...

I do not see a "Mark xxxxx Read" item on any forum page, including this one.

Comment

On the Forum index page, at the bottom of the last section, "Archives" are two links: "Mark Forums Read," and "View Forum Leaders."

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
                    When I finish reading what I want to read I click on the "Mark Threads Read" near the bottom of the Forum, therefore I don't need to open and close a thread of no interest.
                    I should have said "Mark Forums Read". If you go to the Forums home page http://forums.familytreedna.com/index.php and scroll to the end of the list of forums you should see it. I get there by scrolling to the top of any page, other than the home page, and click on "Family Tree DNA Forums".

Seems there are many different ways of reading the messages.

Comment

I am a new member (just about 1 month in, and so no results yet), but am already browsing the forums. A feature I would love to see is: a way to mark certain threads/posts for later reference (such as with a star, or heart, or similar) and then, obviously, have a way to go to those "saved" or "bookmarked" posts. I have already copied a few onto a Word doc--quite a lot of trouble.

I must admit confusion, though, as to when the planned upgrade might take place. Being so new, and as the conversation began late August, perhaps it's already done? Can't tell.

Ellen (signing off on my very first post here)

Comment

Hi Ellen and welcome!
                        Since you've been visiting the forums for only a short time, you have no way to know. But yes, the forums were updated in late September. There is a thread in the "Grumbles and Gripes" sub-forum from Sept/Oct 2018 that discusses the changes to the forum software and some features, if you care to read it: https://forums.familytreedna.com/for...-fourm-is-back

I like your suggestion to mark particular posts for use later. You might want to put it in as a suggestion to FTDNA, by clicking on the "Customer Support" link at the top right of these pages, and then choosing "Contact Us" under the green "Customer Support" heading on that page. It will give you a pop-up form to fill out.
                        Last edited by KATM; 30th January 2019, 09:26 AM.

Comment

What does the little "FLAG" icon at the bottom right of each message do? I clicked on it and it is for reporting a problem message.

Comment

As you discovered, it does the job of a "report" link, as described in the forum FAQ:
                            What if I see something offensive?

You will find Report links in many places throughout the board. These links allow you to alert the board staff to anything that violates the FTDNA Forums Guidelines.
                            The Forum Guidelines still has a date of 25 Feb. 2014, so perhaps it hasn't been updated to show that the flag icon replaced the Report link (or whatever the equivalent was) in the most recent forum upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                            X