Unable to upload raw data

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to upload raw data

This may have been asked somewhere on here but I can't find it.

I have been trying to upload raw data from both Ancestry and 23andme. It just won't work. What am I doing wrong? The files are in .txt (Ancestry) and .csv (23andme). I don't know if this is the issue or if I need to convert the results somehow. Someone please help! Thanks so much.

There is a very long thread elsewhere in this "Requests and Bug Reports" subforum" about troubles uploading Ancestry v. 2 files. You can see "Get error when uploading ANcestryDNA," but the bottom line is that a solution was posted in this post by chrisbonisa, which seems to have worked for the majority of people having this problem. Try using the tool at http://www.mapmy23.com/tools/ancestry_ftdna_fix.php to convert your file so it may be in the right format to upload, and see if that helps you.

For your 23andMe file, if it is a recently processed kit (since August 2017), it is their version 5, which FTDNA does not accept. GEDmatch.com has a special area for results of this version chip and some others, called "GEDmatch Genesis." You could try uploading it there, if your kit is version 5.

Comment

Try this tool - supplied by forum member "twiddleing thumbs"

http://www.mapmy23.com/tools/ancestry_ftdna_fix.php

Comment

As of August 2017, 23andme changed their testing chip with one that is incompatible with FamilytreeDNA. It is termed 23andmeV5 or GSA chip.
        If you tested with since this date, your 23andme Raw Data can not be transferred to FamilytreeDNA.
        FamilytreeDNA only accepts 23andme V3 and V4 Raw Data.

As for Ancestry, you may have to use the following tool to fix file before FamilytreeDNA will accept it. Only use on Ancestry files tested between Mid May 2016 and Present.

Comment

You are all awesome! Thank you for helping me.

Comment

Success! They should post a link to this fix in their instructions.

Comment

Is there a tool to convert a 23andMe V5 file so that I can upload it to FTDNA?

Comment

No. There are not enough matching SNPs (markers) with FTDNA's chip to get reliable results, so that is why FTDNA does not accept the files. You can, however, upload your 23andMe v.5 results to GEDmatch.com's Genesis area.

Comment

Buy Family Finder from FTDNA while it is on sale. The current sale ends June 18.

Comment

Downloading from Ancestry

If you have an FTDNA kit, what does downloading Ancestry info add?

Comment

Nada.

Originally posted by momsa10 View Post
                      If you have an FTDNA kit, what does downloading Ancestry info add?
                      If your FTDNA kit has Family Finder test results, then transferring your file from Ancestry (or any other company's qualifying autosomal results) will not add anything, and actually is not possible. If you try, I believe the order process will tell you that you can't, because you already have autosomal results in your account.

In the case of already having Family Finder results, the only way to transfer to FTDNA (if there is some reason why you feel that you must) would be to do it without being logged in to your FTDNA account. You would then get a new account and password in that case.

If you tested with Ancestry after May 2016, you took their version 2 test, on their custom chip. A transfer of Ancestry v. 2 results to an account without any autosomal (Family Finder) results will yield less matches, because there are less markers in common with the Family Finder test. I think the matches at 4th cousin and more distant will not show up.

Comment

Originally posted by betadams View Post
                        Try this tool - supplied by forum member "twiddleing thumbs"

I'm getting a 404 error when I click that link.

Comment

Originally posted by hbic3 View Post

I'm getting a 404 error when I click that link.
                          Ancestry changed file again (somewhere around Sept 2018), Tool does not work on these files, to many no calls entered, which in turn causes FTDNA to reject file.

Currently for these ancestry files, the only option is to wait and see if FTDNA will accept these files or test directly with FTDNA or myHeritage(then transfer to FTDNA)

FTDNA accepting them depends on how much overlap they have with FTDNA chip, the original ancestry V2 chip only had about a 60% overlap and only received partial matchlist.
                          If overlap is too low FTDNA may discontinue accepting Ancestry latest chip version raw data like they have with 23andmeV5 raw data (GSA chip)
                          Original Ancestry V1 (tested before May 2016) and AncestryV2 are able to upload currently without the use of tool
                          Last edited by prairielad; 31st January 2019, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Oddly enough, the raw data from Ancestry that WON'T upload is my mother's. Mine uploaded just fine. Both of our Ancestry DNA were tested and result in 2019.

Comment

Working...
                            X