Please allow more privacy options

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please allow more privacy options

I put this in grumbles and gripes. Admins of projects are able to see sensitive peraonal data that have nothing to do with the project. Please consider allowing. Customer to turn off , if desired, access by admins to seeing autosomal matches, my origins breakdown, and preferably also mailing address and beneficiary info. These things have sensitive private info and there is no reason that an admin of an mtdna project or Y project admin should be allowed to seeFamily Finder matches if the customer does not wish to reveal this private info that is not relevant to the projects. Since customer can turn on and off other privacy features, why not also allow these other choices that are even more important.

If you don't want the admin to see any of your Family Finder results don't join the project. You can two kits. One for your Family Finder and another for your Family Finder.

Since you don't want the admin to see your FF matches do you also want to block your matches from seeing any of your other matches and maybe not even see you?

If you are in any of my projects please let me know. I'll be happy to remove you.
    Last edited by Jim Barrett; 20th January 2018, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Why are you defensive on the topic of people wanting to join projects whilst at the same time maintaining their privacy? Sure people can just not join projects (or can buy multiple kits if have money to burn) but why not simply build in the option to turn off access to data that admins have no business rifling through? I am project admin by the way for 6 projects.
      Last edited by penguin; 20th January 2018, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by penguin View Post
        Why are you defensive on the topic of people wanting to join projects whilst at the same time maintaining their privacy? Sure people can just not join projects (or can buy multiple kits if have money to burn) but why not simply build in the option to turn off access to data that admins have no business rifling through? I am project admin by the way for 6 projects.
        I saw your message where you said you uploaded your data, found what you want and now you want to remove your data. The I want to see you, but I don't want you to see me syndrome! You give me something, I'll give you nothing!

Comment

Jim, penguin manages several kits (at least), and is manager of several projects. This is what I gathered from recent posts. It is a person who tested (one of these managed kits) who wants to remove his data. See http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...17&postcount=1

Perhaps penguin's interest in privacy features was spurred on by that tested person. Maybe penguin should contact Darren on these forums, as well as submitting his suggestion using the support request form on the Customer Support page. I was going to suggest that penguin use the Family Tree DNA Feedback form, but it seems to have been changed to be, if not exactly like the support request form, very much like it (it's now titled "Submit a Request for Assistance").

Comment

KATM,

This forum is not the place for sending request to FTDNA. They monitor it to be sure we don't get out of hand, but not much more. Darren dose step in from time to time.

Penguin's interest have been made clear in several different places. Basically he wants us to let him see our information, but doesn't want us to be able to see his or that of his project members. Genealogy and DNA testing should be a give and take operation, not take, take, take.

Comment

I don't understand why showing FF data is bad. What bad case scenario do you imagine that makes you want to hide that? It actually can help in YDNA and mtDNA projects. Many customers are very new to understanding their results and want help from admins. Admins can use that FF data to tell them "no this Y match can't be a close cousin" and other such examples. I've had a project member ask me to edit their "most distant known ancestor" text field. So there are people out there that want/need help.

There was word that they were working on updating the profile setup. No idea when that will get done. So they may already be working on what you want or adjacent to it. As for the mailing address, remember that you can always remove it from the kit. If you are not waiting for any test results, your sample isn't going to get used up and therefore a new collection kit won't be sent. So you can always leave a project when you are going to be waiting for test results. Though we haven't seen a case where an admin abused those privileges, yet.

Comment

If you do not want Administrators of projects to see your results, then remove yourself from the project. We have few enough tools for helping people discover their connections to DNA matches as it is. You are not required to belong to a project.

Comment

I think the new EC privacy laws may impact on this for some people. The problem is, as I see it, no one has any control who is an Admin of a project and though I have no reason to doubt that most, if not all are genuine, no one knows who is able to access personal data other than that person is an an admin.

It is a difficult one because there may be good reason to see contact information as some folk may forget to keep their e-mail contact details up to date but there is no doubt the information could be misused. Likewise beneficiary information too. As for any DNA related material I think it is quite reasonable for project admins to be able to view it.

Comment

Just don't see the big deal about privacy... about your matches??? Geez. Well, my sister is one of those privacy people. She won't even test. Threw out the kit I sent her. At least she refunded me....

Comment

If you use facebook you don't need to worry about privacy here

Comment

My project requirements

I only allow JOINS to my surname project from Y requestors who give me FULL access to the kit page. I have had to resolve issues with FTDNA based on going beyond IMPERSONATEing as admin. GAP admins like me cannot help a member with other projects than mine without having kit page access, and this is a service to members. Otherwise, how would I be able to monitor the Haplotype Projects that I also require my members to JOIN, so that I can act as ombudsman for the member and try to get answers about subgroupings and further test recommendations?

As Jim Barrett so rightly puts it, this is a two-way street. I have worked +40 years (long before DNA) on these issues and while I am happy to share any of my work with anyone, I expect anyone who wishes to benefit from the membership of a project to give up enough privacy to allow me to do the work.

When I found a man (#1) in a project claiming a Paternal Ancestor that I suspected was wrong, I discussed his family story with him, JOINED him as a member and eventually courted two men (#2 #3) who were more clearly a descendant of the claimed ancestor, sponsored #3, and there was no match to #1. #1 (father adopted) did not have to agree with my judgement of unlikely, for his claimed ancestor, but it was entirely up to him to participate or not. Our project spent over $250 to test the hypothesis. I do not see where an overarching concern for privacy would have allowed any conclusions, tentative or not.

Last month, I had to OPT IN to receive communications from the Guild of One Name Studies, a UK organization which collects a fee from me every year. In a world run by adults, I would not expect the "voluntary association" I paid for to require me to OPT IN to what I was paying for in the first place. This is the effect of GDPR, which threatens legal action but has no enforceable case law as a basis for doing so.

I see no commercial value in DNA, and virtually no personal information has to be shown publicly for any member of my project, but I reserve the right to be able to interpret results (and question faults on kit pages) as being the entire purpose of a project where most members are not capable of doing either of those on their own (some are dead).
                        Last edited by clintonslayton76; 29th April 2018, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by clintonslayton76 View Post
                          As Jim Barrett so rightly puts it, this is a two-way street. I have worked +40 years (long before DNA) on these issues and while I am happy to share any of my work with anyone, I expect anyone who wishes to benefit from the membership of a project to give up enough privacy to allow me to do the work.
                          I do not ask for nor do I want full access to any members kit. I do have full access to a few, but I paid for the test and the person had no interest in the results, but I needed it to resolve issues of my own.

As for privacy, you can't do effective genealogy and hide under a basket!

Comment

As an administrator of a project, I am finding the "op in" to sharing problematic for the many kit members who are deceased. If I try to email these people, the email bounces. Others are quite elderly and have trouble navigating to the place to make that selection and just give up. I hope FTDNA provides a way for us to deal with these kits.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post

As for privacy, you can't do effective genealogy and hide under a basket!
                              Totally agree and I tell that to all my cousins who become interested in their family history. Some look at me like I'm crazy ( I guess they think the family history is one of the men keeping their pants pulled up and the women keeping their skirts down.....NOT) and others back away and decide to not take part. In other words, if you are prim and prissy do not take part in DNA genealogy. Stick to your 'la la land' of paper genealogy' :-).
                              Last edited by Tenn4ever; 1st May 2018, 04:00 PM. Reason: To add to message.

Comment

Working...
                              X