Profile Display Problem - Y-DNA Matches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profile Display Problem - Y-DNA Matches

Clicking on a person's name within a Family Finder match-list display's that person's Profile as a scrollable pop-up in the centre of the screen.

Clicking on a person's name within a Y-DNA match-list, however, displays that person's Profile in a fixed, unscrollable, position. This means that it's impossible to scroll down to read the lower 'About Me' section of a person's Profile, if something has been entered there.

Profile scrolling for Y-DNA matches still needs fixing.

Comment

Still needs fixing.

Individual Profile pop-ups scroll properly for FF, mtDNA, and BigY matches but not for Y-DNA ones.

Comment

Still needs fixing.

Note: this problem might not be apparent if viewing a YDNA matches page on a big screen, where all of the Profile pop-up might be visible, but on a smaller screen like a 15-inch laptop the lower part of the popup - the About Me and Ancestral Surnames part - can not be scrolled upwards to be made visible. The only way to see it is to Zoom Out of the whole screen.

Comment

Posting on the FTDNA forums, even in the "Features Requests & Bug Reports Area" subform, doesn't not guarantee that the right people at FTDNA will see your question/suggestion. Darren is the FTDNA representative who usually responds, but can't always catch every complaint or suggestion.

Here are two more reliable ways for you (or anyone else) to get your point to FTDNA:
          You will get a reply with a ticket number for the Customer Support submission, to use in later correspondence. I'm not sure if you will get something similar with the Feedback form. Might as well do both, just to cover all bases.
          Last edited by KATM; 23rd November 2017, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Thanks KATM. I originally posted the bug details here rather than raise it 'officially' as I didn't consider it urgent and, as you say, Darren would often pick up on comments here.

(Actually I assumed it would be picked up quickly anyway by FTDNA staff working on the system, as it's pretty obvious, unless, of course, they're all using large screens in which case it might not be - hence my recent note.)

After Hurricane Harvey hit in August I again decided not to raise it officially as I didn't want to add to their burden at a difficult time. But, yes, I agree it's time to escalate it so I'll notify them now.

Comment

Have just discovered that although the FTDNA Contact/Support page offers a form for sending bug reports (under 'Open a Request') the Submit button on that page doesn't currently work, nor is the 'Contact Us' link on that page 'active'!

Comment

I just checked. They work. The problem with the request form is that sometimes the "I'm not a robot" anti-spam box to the right of the Submit button does not load up for some reason. If you refresh your browser (press F5) it seems to fix it at least for me. You need to check that box for it to work.

The "Contact Us" does work but not as a clickable link. You just move your mouse over it and it displays the phone number and business hours.

In the annual conference, FTDNA did mention they were working on an updated user interface. Maybe some of the issues we see in the forums won't be an issue when they roll out that update.
                Last edited by The_Contemplator; 23rd November 2017, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KATM View Post
                  doesn't not guarantee
                  Oops. Of course I meant "doesn't guarantee." Perhaps posting a bit too early today. . .

Comment

Originally posted by Caburn View Post
                    Still needs fixing.

Note: this problem might not be apparent if viewing a YDNA matches page on a big screen, where all of the Profile pop-up might be visible, but on a smaller screen like a 15-inch laptop the lower part of the popup - the About Me and Ancestral Surnames part - can not be scrolled upwards to be made visible. The only way to see it is to Zoom Out of the whole screen.
                    If you are writing to FTDNA, you may want to mention that the issue does not depend directly on the screen size, but on the size of the browser window. So the issue can be trivially recreated on screens of any size (on the larger ones, by making the browser window smaller).

Mr. W

P.S.
                    It does not depend on the browser. And on that particular screen (Y DNA results) there is an Ajax error not present in the other situations.

Comment

Just to confirm that I have now managed to report this problem via the Contact/Support 'Open a Request' link.

I've included a link to this thread in my report.

As The Contemplator mentioned, thanks, it was absence of the 'I'm Not a Robot' reCAPTCHA box that prevented me from submitting the request the first time. It only displayed after the page had been refreshed.

Thanks to all for your comments

~

Comment

Update:

I've just received a reply about this from FTDNA Customer Care in which they suggest that it's my own computer settings that are wrong and causing the problem.

I think that's unlikely as I only get fixed, immovable, Profile pop-ups on Y-STR Match pages (like Y-37 and Y-67) but not on other Match pages like on Family Finder (FF), mtDNA, or BigY. Also, the Y-STR Profile pop-ups used to scroll correctly but stopped doing so some months ago, suggesting a programming/coding change at that time rather than anything else.

However ... before I reply to them I'd like someone else to confirm that the problem is affecting other people, please, so I can eliminate the possibility that it's only affecting my computer.

So, if there's someone out there who's tested on Y-STR tests (like Y-37 or Y-67) and has also tested on other tests like FF, mtDNA or BigY, for comparison, and is accessing FTDNA via a 15-inch laptop screen with IE11 or, preferably, the Chrome browser, could they please:

a) go to their Y-DNA Match page (eg Y-67), click on a match name to bring up the pop-up Profile for that person, and then see if they can scroll that profile up and down the screen using either their touch-pad or the slider on the scroll bar to the right of the screen.

b) go to the Match page for one of their other tests, like FF, mtDNA or BigY, and repeat the actions described above in para a).

I find that the pop-up Profiles are fixed and unscrollable under condition a) for the Y-STR (eg Y-67) matches, but not under condition b) for the other types of test.

Any responses gratefully received, thanks.

~

PS: They rather unhelpfully suggested that I could 'fix' the problem by Zooming out. This is just the workaround that I suggested earlier in this thread. It is not a fix.

Comment

Update:

I find that the pop-up Profiles are fixed and unscrollable under condition a) for the Y-STR (eg Y-67) matches, but not under condition b) for the other types of test.
                          Didn't follow what you meant from the beginning, since I could not notice any problem. So I changed my resolution to low. And now I understand. And it's as you say. In Y-matches pages, there is no "scroll" that appear on my right hand side of the browser (an extra "scroller", not the "scroller" for the whole page).
                          Think anyone can test this actually without lowering the resolution. Only make the browser smaller (i.e. don't have it occupy the whole desktop).
                          So I would say FTDNA has a "fault" on the Y-matches page. They need to check how they handle the "modal" on that page, since it obviously differ from FamilyFinder matches page.

Comment

Thanks, JMAishere, for testing and confirming that you found the same effect.

I'm fairly sure, as you say, that it's down to the way they've programmed the page/profile attributes.

I hadn't realised that screen resolution might be a factor, but I think that's only a secondary thing. For the record I'm using a 15-inch screen with the recommended 1366x768 screen res.

~

Thanks also for your observation about the absence of the 2nd scrollbar on the Y-STR match results pages.

Actually there is no consistency in the way that the Profile pop-ups work across different tests:

FF Test - Profile pop-up scrolls up and down with second scrollbar. Each pop-up has to be closed before opening a new one.

Y-STR Tests (eg Y-67) - Profile pop-up has no secondary (profile) scroll-bar and does not scroll up and down anyway so the lower part of the pop-up is truncated/hidden. Each pop-up has to be closed before opening a new one.

BigY Test - Profile pop-up has no secondary (profile) scroll-bar but does scroll up and down using the main page scrollbar. Successive profile pop-ups can be opened without having to close the previous one. (This is how FF used to work, where Profiles could be opened one after the other.)

myDNA Test - Profile pop-up has no secondary (profile) scroll-bar but does scroll up and down using the main page scrollbar. Successive profile pop-ups can be opened without having to close the previous one.

~

I'll wait a day to see if anyone else reports-in before replying to FTDNA. Thanks.

Comment

So, if there's someone out there who's tested on Y-STR tests (like Y-37 or Y-67) and has also tested on other tests like FF, mtDNA or BigY, for comparison, and is accessing FTDNA via a 15-inch laptop screen with IE11 or, preferably, the Chrome browser, could they please:

a) go to their Y-DNA Match page (eg Y-67), click on a match name to bring up the pop-up Profile for that person, and then see if they can scroll that profile up and down the screen using either their touch-pad or the slider on the scroll bar to the right of the screen.

b) go to the Match page for one of their other tests, like FF, mtDNA or BigY, and repeat the actions described above in para a).

Any responses gratefully received, thanks.

~

PS: They rather unhelpfully suggested that I could 'fix' the problem by Zooming out. This is just the workaround that I suggested earlier in this thread. It is not a fix.
                              I have a 15" HP Windows 10 current version of Chrome.
                              A. I have the problem you have described. I have to zoom out to see "About Me" and "Ancestral Names". There isn't a inter scroll bar to move the profile.

B1. Looking at Family Finder matches I see two scroll bars on the right hand side of the page. The left bar moves the profile. The right bar moves the match list. I am at 100% zoom.

B2. Looking at mtDNA matches. There is only one scroll bar. It moves both the profile and the match list. Still at 100% zoom.

Comment

Working...
                              X